The Golf Thread

Go into KFC on Union Street and quite often the majority of customers are black. It is one of those sterotypes that holds true. Black people like fried chicken. So if Sergio was to have Tiger round for dinner, he probably should serve fried chicken if he expects a high score a la Come Dine With Me. Fuck all racist about that, just safe cooking and looking after your guests.

RS - to come back in 30 - well you must have been around about 5 or 6 under for those nine holes. If you never holed a putt that must mean you had 18 putts in those thirty strokes, leaving 12 other shots for drives and approaches. Two greens landed on par threes leaves 10 shots to get to seven holes - likely two par fives and five par fours. That is exceptional golf. Unless you were playing at Hazelheid nine holer, you should think about getting your tour card RS.

I played yesterday and had a shocker. Hit one fairway the whole round (17th) and had a score I would be embarrassed to share.

I have never played 9 holes under par - well not a back or front nine. I played the Kings Links in 1999 to 2 over par gross. I live in hope that this is not going to be the round of my life and I have it in me to play at that level again.

Our ranges are owned by money hungry businesses !!!!! PLGC and PL foundation trying very hard to make it better for kids in north east no matter your background or wealth , new PL academy will bus kids from all over Aberdeen to PLGc to hit balls and play golf for free , PL foundation flag events open to any child it costs 3 quid to play and they get loads of giveaways every time they play , how much money do you put in to help kids play golf?

I've jumped in here with both feet but we are trying very hard to help kids

Paul

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Paul,

Do you believe that the message of your efforts are being supported by local media? for instance, do northsound and the ever growing original 1 FM stations offer any "free" advertsing to get kids involved in golf? how do you think the message is getting into the schools, there are plenty of young kids wanting tio get into golf, I just dont think theres enough of a drive though the media of whats avaialble.

maybe im wrong, but theres nothing standing out that I can think of.

• Upvote 1

We can't make the radio stations and media give us free advertising and if you have a child who wants to play in our foundation events it's easy to look on our website and enter online very easy indeed

Cost of travel to events is a problem cost of equipment is a problem but all things we are looking at

I won 50k today in a charity event called zone golf all of which will be used to get kids in the north east playing golf

But it takes time to make it better

Paul

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Since you're online Paul, can I ask if you know anything about the future of Loch Lomond GC. While I appreciate the reasons for taking the Scottish onto the links, you and the European tour are missing out on perhaps the best inland course in Europe. Any chance we will see two main regular events in Scotland?

I played Wentworth West last year and found it boring, and an utter rip off. Poor mans Rosemount IMO.

On a side note, I hope yer right and I manage to better my best ever score. I can play once a week maximum nowadays though, and back then I was playing 4 times a week. I have also had long times away from golf. I would like to play more often, but a young family hinders me a bit. My wee girl started walking a few weeks ago, so I am going to get her a set of clubs in the next couple of months. Just the plastic things to start with. Think it's good to get her swinging a club as early as possible, though selling my soul to the devil a bit by encouraging another future wifie golfer!

Oh, and settle min, don't think he was demeaning you. You'll mak yersel nae weel.

• Downvote 1

I think giving a kid the option to play a game they can continue for most of their life is good. If she likes it, good - if not, well the younger one might (and it might come out a loon, nae due until August). My Gran only stopped playing when my Granda died when she was 84. She's 90 now. My auntie actually took her down to Aspire a couple of years back and she hit some balls. As you mentioned in an earlier post, the handicap system allows people of all standards not just to play, but also compete - which is important in sport.

Quite often think you can learn a lot about a person on a golf course too. If someone is carrying on, throwing or whacking clubs into the ground after bad shots etc. - says a bit about how they are in general. Met some great people when I've been drawn to play with them too - folk I probably would never have met or talked to otherwise. I also remember someone telling me that getting good at golf is a better way into a job than a degree! There aren't many unemplyed low single-handicappers.

Golf is an infuriating sport. If ever there was a sport where your feet are kept firmly on the ground it's Golf. My inconsistency doesn't just change from round to round, it changes from shot to shot within the same hole! One minute i'm flying one up a foot short of the hole, the next i'm topping the ball into a lake and having to take 3 off the tee and you think to yourself "I just did EXACTLY the same swing there with the same club, why was that one so shit?!?!"

Just had a lesson with Andrew Locke, went to him before when he was out at Inchmarlo, good teacher IMO.

Bye Bye hozzle rockets.

Where is he now? I'll be getting a few lessons shortly.

Got my 3 cards in so I'll be getting my first handicap in years this week, looking like being 15 or so :clangers2: Single figures by end of the season is the target.

Golf is an infuriating sport. If ever there was a sport where your feet are kept firmly on the ground it's Golf. My inconsistency doesn't just change from round to round, it changes from shot to shot within the same hole! One minute i'm flying one up a foot short of the hole, the next i'm topping the ball into a lake and having to take 3 off the tee and you think to yourself "I just did EXACTLY the same swing there with the same club, why was that one so shit?!?!"

You're probably shit mate.

Where is he now? I'll be getting a few lessons shortly.

Got my 3 cards in so I'll be getting my first handicap in years this week, looking like being 15 or so :clangers2: Single figures by end of the season is the target.

Paul Lawries place, you can get 6 lessons for the price of 5 or something.

I was £32 for half an hour. Well worth the money.

rocket , i was asking you how much you put in to help kids golf, it was a question ? and if you put in cash as you say then huge well done from me and yes my foundation is mainly cash from business men etc nowadays but wasnt that way at the start ,and my wife and i organise all the fund raising events and attend which raises alot of money and no i dont think im the only one doing some good ,we sell rounds of golf with me which all goes into the pot

and yes im not an educated or clever man like you but have never claimed to be im pretty thick with no qualifications . you were having a go at money hungry business owners of ranges or was that just douglas craig you meant ?

i dont want to fall out with anyone

paul

Right, a question for the golfers.

I'm after a new wedge (58 degree). Was down the Kings Links checking them out yesterday, all much of a muchness. Any recommendations? Was probably gonna settle for the Cobra 'Trusty Rusty' or a Cleveland one.

apology not required as everyone entitled to their opinion and yes the council have let alot of golfers in north east down

it takes alot of cash to see a difference

i think we use my name and status (doesnt sound good but you know what i mean )very well to raise cash for kids and some pro golfers just wish it could be more we are away to do some work with sir ian wood and the wood family foundation which could be exciting

paul

Ha! Our remarks crossed at the same time! Min, I don't want to fall out with anyone and you're one of the good guys. I know you do a lot of great work and I applaud you for it. Thanks for not being as kiard and childish as I can get on here and turning it into a row. All the best,

rocket

Could you both not meet up for mince and tatties and broon sase....or fit iver you folks eat, couple of slices of bread n butter thrown in....

surely that could be the start of a relationship to improve golf in the NE.

rocket , i was asking you how much you put in to help kids golf, it was a question ? and if you put in cash as you say then huge well done from me and yes my foundation is mainly cash from business men etc nowadays but wasnt that way at the start ,and my wife and i organise all the fund raising events and attend which raises alot of money and no i dont think im the only one doing some good ,we sell rounds of golf with me which all goes into the pot

and yes im not an educated or clever man like you but have never claimed to be im pretty thick with no qualifications . you were having a go at money hungry business owners of ranges or was that just douglas craig you meant ?

i dont want to fall out with anyone

paul

How much would a round with you cost Paul?