The Golf Thread

Question for you.

If your ball comes to rest beside an out of bounds pole, impeding your swing, can you remove the pole?

I say you can, but my playing partner did it this morning and got pulled up for it in the bar later by some other chap, a hun coincidentaly. If you can't move the pole, do you take a free drop?

It's an movable object, in my opinion.

Question for you.

If your ball comes to rest beside an out of bounds pole, impeding your swing, can you remove the pole?

I say you can, but my playing partner did it this morning and got pulled up for it in the bar later by some other chap, a hun coincidentaly. If you can't move the pole, do you take a free drop?

It's an movable object, in my opinion.

Yes - man made, not part of the course - if it is movable, then yark it oot and play your shot. Unless of course your ball lies OOB - then take yer punishment. If not movable, drop within two clubs lengths, no nearer the hole.

Tell the hun he's full of shite and to wrap the fuck up.

You shouldn't be playing holes that aren't reachable in one shot with a putter anyway so I'd give you a two shot penalty for playing a Par 4 or 5. Disgraceful golf.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an e-mail from some golf site. Copied this from it:

Every golf players NEEDS to have golfing aspirations to work towards and improve their performance.
The most measurable indicator of improved performance is seen by many as cutting strokes off their game. Research shows that less than half of all golfers will ever break 100, and only 5% of all golfers break 80.

Has made me feel good about myself. I am at least in the top 5% golfers in the world!

Just got an e-mail from some golf site. Copied this from it:

Every golf players NEEDS to have golfing aspirations to work towards and improve their performance.

The most measurable indicator of improved performance is seen by many as cutting strokes off their game. Research shows that less than half of all golfers will ever break 100, and only 5% of all golfers break 80.

Has made me feel good about myself. I am at least in the top 5% golfers in the world!

Think how good you'd be if you took more than one club with you on a round.

• Upvote 1

Watching the Solheim Cup. Is it starting so late to give them time to put on their make up? Some cracking looking birds though.

I've got a feeling this crowd are going to get very annoying, to the point that its going to be a struggle to keep watching.

Seeing some debate elsewhere about future of Solheim matches. Europe clearly have the players, the Far East clearly have the...em.....players and the USA have the moolah. Lets be honest, were the tides turned the USA would drop us quicker than a windmill brae kebab. Thoughts?

OK, so now thoughts on the golf, not the kebab!

Three-way match structure? Nah.

Two way matches held in third continents patch? Would lose the 'home crowd' influence which in terms of the 'in-the-hole', U-S-A and now some pish about mash potato??? could only be a good thing.

Buzzin' yesterday in monthly medal, birdied 4 of first 7 holes, -3 after 8, then started getting all defensive and came back in 40. Ended up getting cut only 0.2 for my efforts. Ragin', I wiz.

Lesson learned. At the end of the day, no point protecting a score as worse case scenario is you go up 0.1 Keep on attacking. Perfect day for scoring yesterday too, nae a breath of wind and course nice and soft after saturdays rain.

It's all in the head.

Played in the rain on Saturday. What a fucking soaking. +11. :/

I got pretty lucky with the rain on Saturday up at Tarlair rain stayed off the whole round, still played shite.

Thank fuck for my 3 iron as couldn't hit driver or 3 wood to save my life right now.

I have been chipping well recently. Chipped in from about 30-40 yards even the other week. Then when I played the other day I was all over the place. Knifing wedges through greens and all sorts. I hate being inconsistent. I can quite easily play 15 holes in 4 or 5 over par, but also have 3 8s in there that ruin my card. I'm looking forward to retirement when I can play more than once a week. The best golf I ever played was when a student when i skived Uni to go down The Links, or when I worked flexi-hours and played all Ballater comps, up there 4 times a week. This once a week malarky isn't enough to make me be able to maintain a decent standard for a round. I have a horrible thought that I am destined to shoot mid 80s golf for the rest of my days.

I think I need a golf holiday. A week of playing once or twice a day will probably sort me oot. Just need to get it past the wife.

Fit like's Craibstone now. Haven't played it in years, two or three owners ago.

Good layout given the ground they had to start with and the trees will have 10 years growth on them since last game, couple of disappointing holes in the back loop maybe, but good nonetheless. Might catch a round before a home game sometime. Think I said on here before that the 9th (think - the first one up the top) the par four with the mock swilken bridge in front when the broadleaves are in autumn colours down the right hand side is a helluva bonny picturesque hole for me.

Chutney,

Sounds like my golf is similar to yours score wise. I make a point now of playing a medal once a week and I'm down four for the season (lucky my job lets me do that right enough). Best advice for the occasional abominations (mine annoyingly come off the tee shot for some reason!) is say to yourself OK I'm going to play 2,3, 4 (fill in as appropriate) bad holes today and that was just one of them. No big deal, nobody died. Then slow it right down, think basics and off you go again.

Fit like's Craibstone now. Haven't played it in years, two or three owners ago.

Good layout given the ground they had to start with and the trees will have 10 years growth on them since last game, couple of disappointing holes in the back loop maybe, but good nonetheless. Might catch a round before a home game sometime. Think I said on here before that the 9th (think - the first one up the top) the par four with the mock swilken bridge in front when the broadleaves are in autumn colours down the right hand side is a helluva bonny picturesque hole for me.

Chutney,

Sounds like my golf is similar to yours score wise. I make a point now of playing a medal once a week and I'm down four for the season (lucky my job lets me do that right enough). Best advice for the occasional abominations (mine annoyingly come off the tee shot for some reason!) is say to yourself OK I'm going to play 2,3, 4 (fill in as appropriate) bad holes today and that was just one of them. No big deal, nobody died. Then slow it right down, think basics and off you go again.

First time I've played it, good course in good condition, last few holes are pretty boring couple of nice par 3s which was my only good golf of the night 4 pars 1 bogey. Greens give a good challenge definitely playing again if my mate gets us on again.

Not playing Newmachar now.

Playing PGA Course at Gleneagles tomorrow - looking forward to it!

I'd guess so soon after the JW it'll still be pretty quick. Played it yonks ago. Use a yardage guide. If I mind right a lot of the holes have banks around them for viewing galleries. It had the effect (on me at least) of seeming to bring everything closer so you club down and then find the sand at the front time and fucking time again - can you tell the bad memories are coming back!

Enjoy. Expecting round report on Monday!

I'd guess so soon after the JW it'll still be pretty quick. Played it yonks ago. Use a yardage guide. If I mind right a lot of the holes have banks around them for viewing galleries. It had the effect (on me at least) of seeming to bring everything closer so you club down and then find the sand at the front time and fucking time again - can you tell the bad memories are coming back!

Enjoy. Expecting round report on Monday!

Was really good - the whole experience was a complete class above.

Greens were immaculate and fairways were in much better shape than I thought they would be following the Johnnie Walker.

Played Murrayshall in Scone on the Sunday also which was not too bad either.

60 stableford points over the two days so a little bit disappointed - but still enough to beat my mates (who are shite!).

Glad you enjoyed it. 30pts on a first whack is no mean feat. Or a display of banditry of the highest order! Fecking love golf days like that where you're just made to feel special from the word go. In terms of the whole experience, from parking the car to the bun fight afterwards I'd still put Turnberry at the top of my list. Class from beginning to end. Full of Huns although Troon probably just tops them for that particular accolade.