The Golf Thread

7th hole at the Westerwood near Cumbernauld. 110 yds downhill, even has a cut path through the rough leading down to the green.

12th at Craggan golf course , Grantown on Spey..... Stubby little 60 yard hole ....green slightly elevated but a good mash with the putter should see you ok.

After several years of playing two or three times a year, I have decided to get the clubs out a bit more often this year.

I have played a few rounds and managed to go 36 holes without losing a ball recently (then lost 3 in the next 6 holes) which is some sort of record for me.

I'm starting to hit the irons OK and rarely more than 2-putt, but I am currently being forced to take a 3-iron off every tee as my driving is utterly, utterly hopeless (did manage a couple of decent 3 woods off the tee earlier today as an experiment).

Every single drive I hit goes massively right - not like it came off the toe, but with so much of a slice that it's practically coming back at me by the time it stops. It's really annoying as I used to be pretty good off the tee as a kid back when I used to play a bit more frequently.

Any of you serious golfers got any helpful tips?

Cheers in advance

After several years of playing two or three times a year, I have decided to get the clubs out a bit more often this year.

I have played a few rounds and managed to go 36 holes without losing a ball recently (then lost 3 in the next 6 holes) which is some sort of record for me.

I'm starting to hit the irons OK and rarely more than 2-putt, but I am currently being forced to take a 3-iron off every tee as my driving is utterly, utterly hopeless (did manage a couple of decent 3 woods off the tee earlier today as an experiment).

Every single drive I hit goes massively left - not like it came off the toe, but with so much of a slice that it's practically coming back at me by the time it stops. It's really annoying as I used to be pretty good off the tee as a kid back when I used to play a bit more frequently.

Cheers in advance

You left handed? Must be if you slice it to the left.

Get a lesson, it's the only way. Quickest way anyway. You could fuck about for months; standing closer to the ball, further away, swing more upright/flatter; but if you're serious about getting better, see a pro. Good luck anyway.

Every single drive I hit goes massively left - not like it came off the toe, but with so much of a slice that it's practically coming back at me by the time it stops. It's really annoying as I used to be pretty good off the tee as a kid back when I used to play a bit more frequently.

Cheers in advance

Yes. Join Chutneylove's Par 3 with a putter club.

You left handed? Must be if you slice it to the left.

Get a lesson, it's the only way. Quickest way anyway. You could fuck about for months; standing closer to the ball, further away, swing more upright/flatter; but if you're serious about getting better, see a pro. Good luck anyway.

Good spot - no, I slice it right, just like most of the rest of you ;-)

Edited for clarity.

Would prefer to skip the lessons - hard to justify the green fees with a recent arrival in the family - Also, as I used to manage it fine, I feel it is within me to sort it out.

Yes. Join Chutneylove's Par 3 with a putter club.

I think we should be looking for a par 4 or two just to spice it up a wee bit.

The "Short" on the 9-holer at Murcar is a possibility for a par 3 if the one at Tain is - but personally I feel a hole with a burn across it should be disqualified- more luck than judgement IMO.

Also remember a very short hole at Crossgates in Fife, but was about 7 years ago I played it, so can't remember which it was

I think we should be looking for a par 4 or two just to spice it up a wee bit.

The "Short" on the 9-holer at Murcar is a possibility for a par 3 if the one at Tain is - but personally I feel a hole with a burn across it should be disqualified- more luck than judgement IMO.

Also remember a very short hole at Crossgates in Fife, but was about 7 years ago I played it, so can't remember which it was

Damn and fucking blast. There's something wrong with this site. I can't quote properly and have no options on my replies. I was trying to say there will be no par 4s, since I said to The Boofter that I would get round in below 70. I also want the holes to be near Donsland so I can play all the holes in the same day.

Damn and fucking blast. There's something wrong with this site. I can't quote properly and have no options on my replies. I was trying to say there will be no par 4s, since I said to The Boofter that I would get round in below 70. I also want the holes to be near Donsland so I can play all the holes in the same day.

I too will try hit some of the holes with a putter not tried doing that since I played as a youngster with my mates.

You could trial the 7th at Cullen tonight before the Buckie game.

In trying to get a round of 18 holes together that I could play with a putter I've had some help on the board. Notable absentees in the donation of holes have been golf folk like Paul Lawrie, Rocket Scientist and cow. Can you please pull the finger out lads and append suggestions to help us on our way to the 18 holes we need for a full round? It is for charity. Maybe.

Well observed. Els is a very poor putter. The ONLY reason he bagged a major so long after he was competitive in majors, was that it was played at Lytham, the course above all others that sorts out the men from the boys tee-to-green.

Els hit the most GIR's that week, an incredible number. He putted like shit. In the final Rd, he missed so many from less than 15 feet SHY of the hole. Expert putters never miss an average of one short of the hole every five or six Rds.

At least he has been competitive in majors once upon a time. Too many don't even hit a top 10 in one.

funny about Els as he was playing very well leading up to the open, though reality is Adam Scott chucked it....theres been some superb putters who havent won a major, theres a shit load of luck also when winning a major, so you can be hitting it a bit wayward but the rest of your game helps you out.....anyway I agree Els putting is mental.....If Westwood and Garcia could pick up the putting a bit more, they would be close to winning a major....I still think they have it in them to win 1.

Every single drive I hit goes massively right - not like it came off the toe, but with so much of a slice that it's practically coming back at me by the time it stops. It's really annoying as I used to be pretty good off the tee as a kid back when I used to play a bit more frequently.

Cheers in advance

I'm no expert but I used to blast the ball right when I was younger off the tee with a driver. Make sure your feet are level, i.e your left foot (right foot if you're a lefty) is not further back towards you and make sure you take your club straight in the swing and straight forward through the ball. Slow the swing right down as well to start with. That's what helps/helped me.

I tend to leak it right, from time to time, its not a slice as such, its starts on a good line and then it can go wild right! I may have 2 of them a round, I think mainly when I try and "nail it" must be club head speed or something, or im just nae getting the body turned.....maybe RS can help me with it, as when I slow it down through the backswing, shorten it and increase the follow through,....maybe I just need to stop trying to murder it!....

My issue at the moment is distance. I can hit the ball quite well off the tee (of so i think) but really struggle to knock past 220. Might have something to do with my grip which is an unconventional baseball type rather than interlocking which i just can’t get comfortable with. To be fair, i don’t play a fraction of what i used to but even when I did it was an area that I couldn’t work out. Really need to get a lesson to see if a pro can give me some pointers. Bit depressing when you nail one and still find yourself 50yds behind you’re playing partners.

On puttable par 3s. Anybody played Hopeman recently. I played it moons ago. There's the cracking par three down onto the beach 11th/12th ish (not puttable disappointingly, in fact I remember in a proper blow if it would even be driveable!) but then is there not another about 15, shorter and straight back toward the sea. Eminently chapable with a putter distance wise if I mind right but I can't remember what the terrains like tee to green.

Just trying to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Course Hole Name Yardage

Hopeman 15 Nesses 132

Auchmill 9 Frog Hole 156

Hazlehead 2 16 Westwood 111

Cullen 7

Dufftown 7 Fittie Burn 91

Westhill 2 Clinterty 188

Huntly 6 Neuk 100

Kinloss 2 Smiler 100

Kinloss 11 It's a Doddle 123

Longside 14 The Firs 131

Fraseburgh 4 (Rosehill) 96

Rosehearty 1 179

Tain 16 Kelag 139

Westerwood 7 369

So 14 holes so far - 13 really, because that one at Westerwood can fuck right off.

Some holes don't appear to have names, and I can't even get teh yardage for the 7th at Cullen. All yardages are yellow tees.

Course Hole Name YardageHopeman 15 Nesses 132Auchmill 9 Frog Hole 156Hazlehead 2 16 Westwood 111Cullen 7Dufftown 7 Fittie Burn 91Westhill 2 Clinterty 188Huntly 6 Neuk 100Kinloss 2 Smiler 100Kinloss 11 It's a Doddle 123Longside 14 The Firs 131Fraseburgh 4 (Rosehill) 96Rosehearty 1 179Tain 16 Kelag 139Westerwood 7 369So 14 holes so far - 13 really, because that one at Westerwood can fuck right off.Some holes don't appear to have names, and I can't even get teh yardage for the 7th at Cullen. All yardages are yellow tees.

231 yards.

Green 100 feet below tee. Path running all the way down from tee to green.

Piss easy with a good lucky bounce on the rocky path.

I'm going to add the 13th at Cullen. You hit over a rock but if you have a high tee and lean back your putter a touch you'd clear the rock and green it nae bother.

We'll get to 18 holes by the end of the year Boofter. We'll get the "round" organised for Easter 2014. Will take that long to get transport worked out and the clubs to agree. Folk on committees at golf clubs can be right up their own arse type twats - some will take a bit of persuading. It is going to have to be for charity, or no-one will allow it.

Not pissing on the parade but I noticed someone included kinloss 2 and 11 that by co-incidence are both par three's. I may have caused this in error. There's two loops of nine from the clubhouse. For medals (well the one I played in 6 years ago) you started on the 10th) hence my 11th was actually hole 2 if that makes sense. To be clear hole 2 is definitely chapable, 11 possibly but would take a fair hit, normally a full 9 iron if I mind right.

Regards.