Films

Great film though. Poor lad who played Danny must have had nightmares for years though after that as very disturbing film for a kid that age.

"Danny Lloyd was selected for the role of Danny Torrance in Stanley Kubrick's The Shining (1980) because of his ability to concentrate for extended periods of time. Because of his age (6) and the genre of The Shining (1980) Danny was closely guarded by Kubrick during filming and didn't know it was a horror film until several years later."

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0515950/bio

nae often ill say this as its usually tossers in glasses that say it......but the book of the shining is better than the film. i read it for my English RPR in 5th year and it was brilliant.

the only 2 things the film has that the book doesnt is "heeeeeeers jonny" and the chase through the maze.

ive read it several times now and its still a stunning book.

there was a remake of the film done by king and it follows the book so closely that this film is close to 6 hours if memory serves.

41PH9FQHCDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

but this one has full commentary by king as one of the extras. its not great but its alot truer to the book than the kubrick one.

nae often ill say this as its usually tossers in glasses that say it......but the book of the shining is better than the film. i read it for my English RPR in 5th year and it was brilliant.

the only 2 things the film has that the book doesnt is "heeeeeeers jonny" and the chase through the maze.

ive read it several times now and its still a stunning book.

there was a remake of the film done by king and it follows the book so closely that this film is close to 6 hours if memory serves.

41PH9FQHCDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

but this one has full commentary by king as one of the extras. its not great but its alot truer to the book than the kubrick one.

I've seen that version too robbo and yes it was very long indeed. Talking about Stephen King stuff did you ever watch The Stand when it was on years ago?

I've seen that version too robbo and yes it was very long indeed. Talking about Stephen King stuff did you ever watch The Stand when it was on years ago?

no, well i may have started watching it but got bored, cant remember tbh.

only other king film ive watched was dream catcher.

the book, alright. nae great. the film....fucking abominable.

I can't agree more on Dreamcatcher. An alright book that when turned into a movie was absolutely horrendous.

I think I went to the cinema to see that. Truly awful movie. Didn't read the book mind.

Agree with previous comments, the Shining book is great. But I also love the film.

More often than not books are better than the film because books, as a medium, involve you like no other.

Can anyone recommend any films that are better than the book?

Closest one I can think of right now is Trainspotting. I mean, I love the book but the film was amazing. Superbly cast and very original.

There must be more though?

I think I went to the cinema to see that. Truly awful movie. Didn't read the book mind.

Agree with previous comments, the Shining book is great. But I also love the film.

More often than not books are better than the film because books, as a medium, involve you like no other.

Closest one I can think of right now is Trainspotting. I mean, I love the book but the film was amazing. Superbly cast and very original.

Well i liked both but what about The Outsiders?

Requiem For A Dream, The Godfather, Pyscho. :dontknow:

Never read the book, but maybe Silence of the Lambs.

Never read the book, but maybe Silence of the Lambs.

:laughing: FFS. Is that an educated guess like?

Layer Cake almost makes it there. The book is tremendous and the film pretty much follows it to the letter.

its nae a film, but the books for long way round/long way down are so namby pamby.

the language ewan mcgreggor uses are so artsy farty as he describes gorgeous sunsets, flowers, trees.

its not a concept that translates well. it makes him sound a right pretentious pain in the arse.

gives you greater insight into the thought process and the day to day grind of being on a bike with nobody to speak to for hours at a time, but fuck me its dull

the black dahlia by james ellroy. the film is gash, but the book is immense

I don't think you've quite grasped what I'm asking here.

Most books are better than the film version, I'm looking for films that are better than the book.

Shawshank Redemption was based on a short story by Stephen King, would say the film version is far better.

The Godfather is a better film than the book by Puzo.

Jaws - never read the book mind, but think that it was the music that mainly made that movie, which would be absent from the book.

Debbie does Dallas! It's just better actually seeing debbie getting her tits out than reading some flowery euthenism that is carried along with a long metaphor that is meant to represent sex, but all it does is make you put your flaccid cock back into your boxers, reach over to the bedside table, turn off the light and wish you had just taken the opportunity to wank over the 5 minute preview of television x while your wife was out of the room, presumebly having a shit.

I watched In Bruges last night with the missus, pretty easy watch and a couple of chuckles in bits.

Was very surprised at how much i enjoyed that film. Watched it on a recommendation (can't remember from who) and was a little skeptical about it but thought it was hilarious. Can't stand Colin Farrell usually either.