Sir Andy Murray

Guest SS RED

Was just about on the brink of going out in the 2nd round at Queens! Just won a tie breaker in the second to make it 1 set all.

Playing terrible. Started really aggressive, but when that wasn't working he regressed back into his shell, trying to force errors. Mahut still has a chance here if he can maintain this level going into the 3rd - he isn't missing much!

• 1 month later...

Why couldn't Andy Murray put his arm around his mixed doubles partner just once even, the whole week?

He's not normal obviously but was it not wanting to make mummy or the bint jealous or is he otherwise genuinely emotionally retarded?

Who cares what Murray is like as a person anyway? This is sport at the very highest level.

I personally couldn't care less if his post-match celebration involved returning home to have a sook on his mothers teat, followed by an all night x-box session.

Why do people feel the need to empathise with sportsmen on a personal level anyway? I couldn't give a flying fuck, I just want to be entertained and I was something to cheer about. I love tennis and I'm a big sports fan in general and unfortunately I'm also Scottish. So I've had very little to shout about. I spent much of my formative years watching Aberdeen and the Scotland football team lurching from one humilating disaster to another. It's soul destroying. Andy Murray gives me someone to cheer for, a world class sportsman, who is an absolute joy to watch on the court. In a few years time he'll be gone, so I'm going to milk this for all it's worth while he's still playing.

Incidentally, people can debate the relative merits of tennis in the Olympics all they want, but there is no way Federer was just keeping up appearances. You just had to see his reaction at the end of his epic semi-final versus Del Potro, to see how much it meant to him. He's never been on the end of such a thrashing in a 5-set tennis match. One of the greatest sporting champions of all time, he will not have enjoyed that. It was a royal hiding and I loved every second of it!

• Upvote 2

Blah blah blah

People very much do care what their sportspeople are like. As I said, this point may be lost on you for personal bias towards Murray, as you said: -

Our own Willie Miller seemed to manage ok as our best ever player despite lacking personality. Jim Leighton the countries greatest ever keeper did well despite being one of countries sourest ever folk.

Nobody gives a fuck.

Why couldn't Andy Murray put his arm around his mixed doubles partner just once even, the whole week?

He's not normal obviously but was it not wanting to make mummy or the bint jealous or is he otherwise genuinely emotionally retarded?

Maybe they don't like each other or get on at all.

For all the public know Laura Robson might be a stuck up, spoilt brat disliked by every other player in the British team.

Maybe Murray drew the short straw and had to play mixed doubles with her but despite this still was able be professional and win a silver medal despite those problems.

What difference would him having put her arms around her have made to the tournament?

Maybe they don't like each other or get on at all.

For all the public know Laura Robson might be a stuck up, spoilt brat disliked by every other player in the British team.

Maybe Murray drew the short straw and had to play mixed doubles with her but despite this still was able be professional and win a silver medal despite those problems.

What difference would him having put her arms around her have made to the tournament?

More to the point, did he have a quick deek under her tennis skirt?

Some good points in there Rocket. I'm glad you are back on the forum!

I don't disagree with a lot of that, I think the examples you use are fairly extreme though... there aren't many personalities like John McEnroe. Same with guys like John Daly. I reckon these guys would be much loved/in demand no matter their chosen profession. They are engaging personalities that people are drawn towards.

Personally speaking, I'm just a big sports fan. I'm drawn towards players/athletes and teams and their achievements in sport. Particularly in sports like tennis and football which I've followed all my life. Personality off the pitch/court has never interested me and it never will. Before Murray came on the scene I used to follow Rafa Nadal very closely. I was delighted when he came on the scene, as his style of play was like nothing I'd seen before. He was a breath of fresh air and brought some competitiveness to a sport which was threatening to become boring, such was Federers dominance. Nadal is a guy who's also completely devoid of personality, but on court he was like a force of nature. You could argue Djokovic is quite an interesting personality, but he's obviously nothing compared to the likes of McEnroe and Connors.

To be honest, I'm just in awe of mens tennis right now, we are in a golden era where you've got 5 guys; Murray, Federer, Djokovic, Nadal and Del Potro (who is incredible and it's fantastic for the sport that's he's returning from his long lay-off and is almost as strong as before) who've just taken things to another level. Some of the matches between these guys, in the latter stages of recent grand slam tournaments have just been breath taking. I just can't get enough of it right now and it's fantastic that we've got a Scotsman right in the midst of it all. With the exception of Djokovic, you've probably got 4 of the most dull, uninspiring personalities that you could ever have the misfortune of meeting - but when they get on court and express themselves with their naturally inherited talents, I am utterly compelled. I'm already counting the days till the US Open starts.

Incidentally, I've also never considered myself to be particularly nationalistic. Sport is probably the only thing that evokes these feelings and even then I find myself disgusted with Scottish national football team and the clowns who run (ruin) our national sport these days. I'd actually say I'm less nationalistic since leaving Scotland, it's been about 10 years since I lived there and with every year going by I probably identify myself less and less with the country. For me I think it's more of a tribal thing, I've always loved live sport and the atmosphere associated with it. These days I find myself watching a lot of Australian Rules football, I'm at Patersons stadium for every Fremantle game when I'm not playing football myself. It was something I was just drawn to - it's hard to explain really.

TBH RS I clicked reply and then was distracted and went off to do something else and so never got round to any reply and given that I was starting from the point that your original post was a rather sad attempt at fishing or at the very least an attempt to create a reaction I didn't see where the discussion was heading, especially seeing as you decided to respond to my comments with one word answers that accepted my observations in total.

You make an observation that Murray didn't hug Robson and then jump to the conclusion that this could be because he ; didn't want to make his mum jealous ( a rather tacky oedipus jibe there ), or he didn't want to make his own girlfriend jealous or that he is genuinely emotionally retarded.

I pointed out that there was another possible explanation but you dismiss this as far fetched

highly unlikely in my opinion

or at least I think you do

Monkey's theory about detestation is far fetched but possibly true

oh no, actually you do

make Monkey's suppositions the more absurd.

Phew, glad we got there in the end. :thumbs:

Instead you conclude that there is an inbuilt emotional retardation with Murray, I assume you will be using his parent's divorce, his move to Spain at a young age and why not through in the events of Dunblane as an additional factor, rather than a much more likely scenario that the players don't get on.

This happens all the time in sport, it's not an unusual situation so to say it's a bit far fetched and absurd suggests a tendency to perhaps want to read too much into a situation.

Anyway your whole argument is somewhat false and pointless given you can't of been watching the tennis very closely...

05_MurrayRobson_g_k_A11.jpg

2c1a34dfc7f14b14435323695c922d46.jpg

2012-08-05T213310Z_1_CBRE8741NVD00_RTROPTP_2_OUKSP-UK-OLY-TENN-TEWDOB.JPG

Fair enough. He did occasionally. He didn't in the final and he didn't on the rostrum in the live transmission. Pretty sure he didn't in the semi either. I didn't see the fact that he did elsewhere as you're right, I wasn't watching very closely and neither were you by your first post. Still, the points that sotr and I have made about his defective personality are there if you wish to disagree? You're obviously choking for an argument.

I'm flattered that you think that I am "choking for an argument" coming from a poster that could start an argument in an empty room I 'm going to take that as a compliment. :thumbs:

I initially merely offered an observation as to a further possible explanation as to why Andy may not have been hugging Robson at every possible opportunity during the tennis. I didn't even know if he had done or not as I hadn't watched the tennis myself. I answered based on the incorrect assumption that your original post was factually correct. Clearly, it wasn't and I won't make that mistake again.

You then decided to "call me out", I think is the expression,in your reply to SOTR, I mean you didn't have to, your post could of been competent without doing that but you did, perhaps some people might think that you yourself were "choking for an argument",so I took some time in looking up the facts and I then replied to show that your initial observations were wrong and therefore your conclusions were based on false evidence and are, therefore, also suspect.

Now, I'm confused about where your argument stands, as your starting point was that

.... Andy, the senior statesmen of the two didn't put an arm around his partner at any point throughout the whole competition...

And you used this to diagnose emotional retardation. Now that this has been shown to be wrong, you are moving onto

He didn't in the final and he didn't on the rostrum in the live transmission. Pretty sure he didn't in the semi either.

Now he clearly did on the rostrum as there is a pic above, whether that was during a live transmission or not who knows and I'm not sure how that matters in your argument. And you also can't be sure if he did in the semi final either and I can't help with that as I didn't watch it at all.

So is your argument now

Andy Murry is emotionally retarded because during the time I was watching a couple of games of tennis, not very closely, I didn't see him hug his partner?

Also I think you may also be a bit presumptuous with SOTR's observations. He merely describes 4 of the top 5 tennis players as having dull, uninspiring personalities. I don't think he claims that Murray has a defective personality although I'm sure he will correct me if I have picked that up wrong.

From my own limited observations of Murray on and off the court I never considered him to have a defective personality nor an emotional retardation but if you can offer some other evidence that supports this, other than your own suppositions and conclusions, I'm happy to reconsider my views on Murray.

• Upvote 1

I'm flattered that you think that I am "choking for an argument" coming from a poster that could start an argument in an empty room I 'm going to take that as a compliment. :thumbs:

I initially merely offered an observation as to a further possible explanation as to why Andy may not have been hugging Robson at every possible opportunity during the tennis. I didn't even know if he had done or not as I hadn't watched the tennis myself. I answered based on the incorrect assumption that your original post was factually correct. Clearly, it wasn't and I won't make that mistake again.

You then decided to "call me out", I think is the expression,in your reply to SOTR, I mean you didn't have to, your post could of been competent without doing that but you did, perhaps some people might think that you yourself were "choking for an argument",so I took some time in looking up the facts and I then replied to show that your initial observations were wrong and therefore your conclusions were based on false evidence and are, therefore, also suspect.

Now, I'm confused about where your argument stands, as your starting point was that

And you used this to diagnose emotional retardation. Now that this has been shown to be wrong, you are moving onto

Now he clearly did on the rostrum as there is a pic above, whether that was during a live transmission or not who knows and I'm not sure how that matters in your argument. And you also can't be sure if he did in the semi final either and I can't help with that as I didn't watch it at all.

So is your argument now

Also I think you may also be a bit presumptuous with SOTR's observations. He merely describes 4 of the top 5 tennis players as having dull, uninspiring personalities. I don't think he claims that Murray has a defective personality although I'm sure he will correct me if I have picked that up wrong.

From my own limited observations of Murray on and off the court I never considered him to have a defective personality nor an emotional retardation but if you can offer some other evidence that supports this, other than your own suppositions and conclusions, I'm happy to reconsider my views on Murray.

I've reached my quota of positive votes for the day. So i'll have to publically +1 this.

p.s. Why don't you pop over to the Gore Vidal thread it could desperately do with your analytical eye.

Instead you conclude that there is an inbuilt emotional retardation with Murray, I assume you will be using his parent's divorce, his move to Spain at a young age and why not through in the events of Dunblane as an additional factor, rather than a much more likely scenario that the players don't get on.

This happens all the time in sport, it's not an unusual situation so to say it's a bit far fetched and absurd suggests a tendency to perhaps want to read too much into a situation.

Don't really want to get into an argument about Murrays personality, or lack there of... but it's obvious he had an unusual and probably difficult upbringing. They're called your 'formative years' for a reason. I don't think Murray is as bad as Rocket makes out, but I've always felt that his move to Spain may have been one of the most significant chapters in his childhood. The Dunblane thing and his parents divorce may also have had a profound effect.

At 15 most young lads in Scotland are out with their mates, discovering for the first time the joys of alcohol and women... rightly or wrongly that's pretty much par for the course in Scotland. Meanwhile Murray was shipped off to Spain, to finish school in a foreign country, where English was not the first language. It must have been hard for him to integrate with the other lads... however, to his credit he obviously did. One thing I notice is that his best pals are all spanish speaking lads, like Dani Valverdu, Rafa Nadal and Pico Monaco.

I don't see anything. You haven't responded to my post for a few days now. I thought you might had moved on to matters of more substance by now but as your spats with fatshaft keep on getting deleted, perhaps you were also being infantile in your reply on that thread and it got deleted too?

The only post I see is from pheen, who like me, was interested in the man and his (some of his) works. You on the other hand, have been unable to engage on an adult level. Why do you do it? Is your whole raison d'etre on the forum to offend people?

RS i didn't reply to you any further because i didn't want the thread to descend into farce. Phoenix made a positive contribution which i forgot about - i was wrong there, granted. I've got no desire to offend anyone, i enjoy the cut and thrust of a heated debate. With you however i've begun to notice a recurring pattern in your behaviour with regards to discussing contentious issues. You appear to have engaged in such behaviour in your discourse with Monkey. I'll probably pop along there (Gore Vidal) later when i get a minute and hopefully we can get the issue killed off. Although your attitude to established matters of fact tells me otherwise.

I'm perfectly capable of engaging on an adult level with someone who is sincere. Equally however I am perfectly happy to descend into semantics and ''your mither'' arguments. My attitude to the discussion is entirely dependent on the person I'm conversing with.

p.s. With regards to he who's name i no longer speak. We have a personal beef which appears to have infringed on other forum users. A highly unusual and unique one off. Don't get confused son, my reaction to his conduct of late was strictly a one off - not to be repeated.

What a bore. You think my opinion that Murray is defective in personality is based on that alone? I can get as petty as you if you want. We could talk the degrees of emotion and affection between them.

You've obviously never seen the satirical sketches on Murray. The dog died? It's not just me who thinks this. You obviously don't share our views. So? Like a give a fuck that you don't share our views? Like I'm going to waste my time trying to persuade you? Open yer eyes min.

I have to apologise, I have clearly misunderstood what you meant when you posted

Still, the points that sotr and I have made about his defective personality are there if you wish to disagree?

As I thought you were saying I could disagree with the points you have made about his personality, I then did this.

But I see from your next post that these points that you had made were not the sole grounds for your conclusion so I shouldn't have taken the above quote as an invitation to comment on those points. I should have known that there were other points that you had chosen not to include in your observations. Maybe I should left my position open and invited any further observations from you that could alter my own view on Murray.

Oh no wait a minute that's what I did but your response was to tell me to open my eyes and to observe you don't give a fuck that I don't share your views. Some people might wonder why you asked me if I wished to disagree if you then didn't care for my answer? Not me though.

People's own perceptions of Murray are just that their own and it's pretty hard to disagree with these perceptions providing they are based on reasonable observations. It is rather pointless to try and change these perceptions without more concrete evidence.

Don't really want to get into an argument about Murrays personality, or lack there of... but it's obvious he had an unusual and probably difficult upbringing. They're called your 'formative years' for a reason. I don't think Murray is as bad as Rocket makes out, but I've always felt that his move to Spain may have been one of the most significant chapters in his childhood. The Dunblane thing and his parents divorce may also have had a profound effect.

At 15 most young lads in Scotland are out with their mates, discovering for the first time the joys of alcohol and women... rightly or wrongly that's pretty much par for the course in Scotland. Meanwhile Murray was shipped off to Spain, to finish school in a foreign country, where English was not the first language. It must have been hard for him to integrate with the other lads... however, to his credit he obviously did. One thing I notice is that his best pals are all spanish speaking lads, like Dani Valverdu, Rafa Nadal and Pico Monaco.

The same could be said for a lot of top class sports people with regard to their "formative years" perhaps the fact that the majority of 15 year olds are acting as described could explain a lot in regard to Scottish sporting failure in general.

*moved into Andy Murray thread*

The same could be said for a lot of top class sports people with regard to their "formative years" perhaps the fact that the majority of 15 year olds are acting as described could explain a lot in regard to Scottish sporting failure in general.

It is the biggest reason in relation to Scottish sporting failure in my opinion. Particularly among young Scottish footballers...

... but that's an argument for another day.

p.s. With regards to he who's name i no longer speak. We have a personal beef which appears to have infringed on other forum users. A highly unusual and unique one off. Don't get confused son, my reaction to his conduct of late was strictly a one off - not to be repeated.

i suggest you both sort it out like real men..

a scrap.