Bars/pubs In Town.

Mrs_Mols

shit just got real.

i was throwing this idea around a while ago, but no one was interested. the mark up is ginormous, you hardly need any hardware, so you only need rhesus monkeys to work it. it's also in the west at a huge shopping centre, next to massive schemes. a never ending supply of chubbies chasing the dreme.

hot donuts, gimme gimme gimme.

i remember dynamo going on and on about some place called cheers when I asked for the names of a few good places a while back.

Cheers???

:gay: :gay: :gay:

I mind fan it wis Rabbies and the poofs bar wis Castros up in Netherkirkgate (fich IIRC went up in flames a good few years back, filling the City Bar wi fuds for a good year or so)

Actually, I miss the auld City Bar in Netherkirkgate, which went by the name o Jocks for a while, it was a decent pub in the city centre: was far superior to the Illicit Still.

Cheers???

:gay: :gay: :gay:

I mind fan it wis Rabbies and the poofs bar wis Castros up in Netherkirkgate (fich IIRC went up in flames a good few years back, filling the City Bar wi fuds for a good year or so)

Actually, I miss the auld City Bar in Netherkirkgate, which went by the name o Jocks for a while, it was a decent pub in the city centre: was far superior to the Illicit Still.

He said it was a cracking pub!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdbt-sx5MDc

• 9 months later...

What's happened to it like?

Been refurbed. Looks a lot "nicer", aiming for new clientele I'd say. Music seemed ramped up a bit more when I went in as well.

Went in for a pint on friday, about turned as soon as i went in.

Nae for me anymore

Agreed, used to be a favourite for a quiet pint, but won't be hurrying back. PB Devco effect.

Been refurbed. Looks a lot "nicer", aiming for new clientele I'd say. Music seemed ramped up a bit more when I went in as well.

Agreed, used to be a favourite for a quiet pint, but won't be hurrying back. PB Devco effect.

Used to go there before most home games, was a favourite of mine.

Seems to be the way with most city centre bars!! Most have lost their charm.

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah I heard the Short Mile was shut. In fact, I bumped into an old mate in the pub after the Ross County game who was at the last night. It was heaving apparently. Where were these old customers to keep it going? Sign of the times, I guess.

Used to always play the Dons away European games live on the radio. Got some stories from the flat above it, which my mate had for a while.

Drove past the short mile today. Door was shut and looked empty inside. Has it closed down?

Heard the Hayloft may be away to go the same way.

Didn't think the Short Mile was that great, place was always dead whenever I was there, but would still rather drink there than the Fuckin Holburn or Foundry round the corner, which always seem to be heaving.

No accounting for taste I suppose...

I never liked the Short Mile either but it was part of our history, just as the Hayloft was in a similar era.

Sad to see old boozers go but changing times. Nae enough community and too many sad acts.

Hayloft deserves to go. Was in there for the first half then went up to Rileys.

The former is an over 60s bar, and overpriced for a local, nae wonder folk living round about it winna go, mind you my local, the Ferryhill Tav sometimes struggles for trade too although its cheap for a jar at the weekends. Personally, I think the Local Pub may be a dying trade: most folk in their 20s and 30s favour city centre bars just to be all trendy wi their folks, naebody wants to be "seen" being at an unfasionable Auld mannies pub, irrespective of the superior banter and community belonging you get there. Or haein folks over for beers pre town.

• 2 weeks later...

THE pubs and alehouses of the Granite City have helped to define it culturally.

Many visitors to the city have spent an hour or two in The Grill or Ma Cameron’s.
Even Star Trek’s “Scotty” once proclaimed himself an “old Aberdeen pub crawler”.
It is believed that the city’s first public house was the Le Sandy Velle, founded in Torry in around 1535.
By 1845, there were 193 inns, alehouses and vintners in Aberdeen.
The five most popular were the Royal Hotel, Union Hotel and the Aberdeen Hotel on Union Street, the Lemon Tree Hotel on Huxter Row and Cruickshank’s’ Inn in Schoolhill.
There was the Ferry Boat Inn run by publican Willie Cormack, the Lochside Bar owned by John McKay and the Rising-Sun Tavern run by Alexander Barron.
The Steam-yacht Tavern in Footdee was one of several pubs in the small town, where locals joked that the pubs never opened because they were never shut.
The first Red Lion Inn on Firhill Place was founded in the 1750s and regularly visited by the Aberdeen Philosophical Society of the day.
The present Red Lion Pub dates from 1903. Ma Cameron’s on Little Belmont Street is Aberdeen’s oldest running pub.
The 300-year-old tavern flourished as a coaching inn back in the 1800s and has been popular ever since.
Amelia “Ma” Cameron was its most famous landlady and later gave her name to the establishment.
Several old Aberdeen pubs have remained open under new names.
The Lang Bar now operates as The Tilted Wig while the Tappit Hen on Back Wynd is now O’Neill’s.
The Lemon Tree Hotel was a favourite drinking spot for 19th century Aberdeen traders.
The first meeting of the Aberdeen and Grampian Chamber of Commerce was in the pub, just off Castle Street.
In 1867 the Lemon Tree Hotel was demolished to make way for the new Town House and traders moved to the Royal Hotel. The tavern’s name lives on thanks to The Lemon Tree on Stirling Street, which opened 125 years after its namesake closed its doors.
The Prince of Wales on St Nicholas Street was founded in 1850 and has one of the longest bars in Scotland.
The Wallace Tower pub on Netherkirkgate took its name from the famous Aberdeen landmark.
The tower itself was later moved to Seaton Park in Tillydrone.
The Grill was established in the early 1830s and has had the same name since its time as a restaurant in the 1870s.
The bar was a restaurant and dining room for 30 years until it was converted into a pub in 1925.
The Grill’s magnificent bar is panelled in mahogany veneer and the back windows of the pub had to be removed twice to make way for the counter. Women were served at The Grill for the first time in 1975.
C S MacDonald’s – better known as Bella’s Bar – was famed as the last pub in the city to have sawdust on the floor.

Strange, context-less bit on the Evening Express website.

• 3 weeks later...