Highland League

There was 1200 on Wednesday night against Deveronvale. If it was on a Saturday and the weather was nice that would have been 1500.

Deveronvale bring a few as well , They are also well supported and a well run club.

Crowds against the lesser teams obviously mean smaller crowds of 5-600, But they do have a very good core crowd who follows them home and away which i find amazing as who fancies sitting on a bus all the way to Wick or Fort William.

In 2000/2001 season Buckie Played Hamilton in the Scottish cup @ Victoria park , Buckie beating them 2-0 in front of a crowd of 2500.

And also, Buckie is a town not a village :nono:

Apologies, I've rarely ever had cause to visit anywhere further north than Dyce.... so you'll appreciate I'm not particularly familiar with that part of the world!

That's impressive... as I was saying it must be great watching a local team in a competitive league, where the players are essentially playing for enjoyment. A bit of local pride! I also like the idea of being able to watch the football and have a few drinks in the social club, pre-, post- and at a half time of the match!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah , Explains a lot , New Elgin ? Bishopmill ? Kingsmill ?

Still jealous of your affluent neighbours down the A96.

Hows the Scottish League treating City now a days ?

haha, bishopmill to be precise.

only been to borough briggs once this season and was only coz my cousin got his first appearance, apart from that nae interested.

Apologies, I've rarely ever had cause to visit anywhere further north than Dyce.... so you'll appreciate I'm not particularly familiar with that part of the world!

That's impressive... as I was saying it must be great watching a local team in a competitive league, where the players are essentially playing for enjoyment. A bit of local pride! I also like the idea of being able to watch the football and have a few drinks in the social club, pre-, post- and at a half time of the match!

Missed many a kick off and second half being "stuck" in the social club.

Your right regarding local pride, Thats why there is several teams in the HFL who could make the step up to the 3rd division but game against Deveronvale , Broch , Locos and so on mean much more to the club and fans than against Berwick / montrose and so on.

When Elgin got into the 3rd Division i think they expected the whole of Moray to get behind them and support them , But people for Buckie , Keith , Lossie , Rothes , Forres would never do that , All down to local pride.

When i look at the results its Aberdeen then Buckie then see if Elgin got beat, And since they have joined the 3rd Division that has happened more times than not.

RGUDON can confirm Elgins results.

Your right regarding local pride, Thats why there is several teams in the HFL who could make the step up to the 3rd division but game against Deveronvale , Broch , Locos and so on mean much more to the club and fans than against Berwick / montrose and so on.

When Elgin got into the 3rd Division i think they expected the whole of Moray to get behind them and support them , But people for Buckie , Keith , Lossie , Rothes , Forres would never do that , All down to local pride.

When i look at the results its Aberdeen then Buckie then see if Elgin got beat, And since they have joined the 3rd Division that has happened more times than not.

TBH i think elgin really fuked up making the step up, none of the games mean anything coz its all new teams so their is no rivalry, none of the players are local, all glasgow etc. they really are in dire straits.

I used to be a ball boy at elgin back in the day when they were decent and can remember playin the vale in the cup and there was summin like 2500 there, christ they struggle to get over 500 now, very sad state of affairs.

buckie has a very well run club, something elgin could really do with as no-one really gives a sh*t about them.

TBH i think elgin really fuked up making the step up, none of the games mean anything coz its all new teams so their is no rivalry, none of the players are local, all glasgow etc. they really are in dire straits.

I used to be a ball boy at elgin back in the day when they were decent and can remember playin the vale in the cup and there was summin like 2500 there, christ they struggle to get over 500 now, very sad state of affairs.

buckie has a very well run club, something elgin could really do with as no-one really gives a sh*t about them.

TBH Elgin should not be bottom of the 3rd division, They should and could be a 2nd Divison team easy.

Elgin is the biggest town ( technically City :nono: ) between Inverness and Aberdeen and that includes the Banff and Buchan area.

They should be out doing Peterhead and matching Ross County.

But as you say , The club is run terribly and they seem to be content being rooted to the bottom of the 3rd.

In all honesty there should probably be more regionalisation of the scottish game... it would certainly promote local interest in the game. The second and third divisions, should, in my opinion be scapped... An SPL 1 and 2 is probably the best way forward.... with local leagues like the highland league, East of Scotland league, south of scotland league and the West Coast Junior leagues (the juniors on the west coast is far better than the north east equivalent) absorbing the shortfall. There could be an inter-league cup competition and perhaps a play-off series to determine which teams, if any, are able to gain progression into the SPL 2.

I supported Dumbarton as a kid, and the games you looked forward to were against Clydebank, Morton and St. Mirren.... as you say, we had no interest in playing the likes of Elgin and Forfar, and having to travel miles & miles for the pleasure!

TBH Elgin should not be bottom of the 3rd division, They should and could be a 2nd Divison team easy.

Elgin is the biggest town ( technically City :thumbup1: ) between Inverness and Aberdeen and that includes the Banff and Buchan area.

They should be out doing Peterhead and matching Ross County.

But as you say , The club is run terribly and they seem to be content being rooted to the bottom of the 3rd.

for the size of moray, yeah they should be, but i think you pointed out the problem yourself, nobody is gonna stop supportin their local team whether it be buckie, forres, rothes etc to come support elgin. loyal support.

not that anyone from buckie would support elgin anyways!! ;)

less of the town pish, we have a cathedral!

Buckie, Vale and Locos are 3 very well run clubs in the HFL Vales weak point though is having no social club. The set up at Peterhead is very professional for a 2nd division team the corporate hospitality is very good its just a shame all the plastic huns dont come out to back the local team.

Dont laugh.

But Buckie opened a corporate lounge in the main stand last season.

Holds about 20 people and it costs

orrect. Used to regularly nip along to peterheid fan we were playing in the highland league. Was good to see you get one up on the small toons that surround us ;) . Especially the f**kers fae the broch. Last ever game between these two in the HFL was an absolute belter we plenty o folk turning oot to watch their local teams. Felt kind o sad to see this derby die. Even if there is a friendly there isn't the same spice as f**k alls at stake.

Buckie, Vale and Locos are 3 very well run clubs in the HFL Vales weak point though is having no social club. The set up at Peterhead is very professional for a 2nd division team the corporate hospitality is very good its just a shame all the plastic huns dont come out to back the local team.

I got offered a chance of this but was offshore. Was at the end of season do last year though as my mates da sponsors something or other. Was a good night oot. Pity the social club is a hun pub though. You a peterheid loon yirsel? As for the plastic huns you'll find quite a lot of aberdeen fans now go to watch peterheid instead. My da being one. Best game I have seen this year was Peterheid against Raith at Balmoor. 3-3 with both teams going for it. Highly enjoyable to watch.

Nae quite a Peterheed loon but fae a village near by always like the team to do well and try to go along when I can basically like to see all the buchan area teams do well apart fae the Broch that is, hoping PD make the play offs they lost today but so did Stirling so no real harm done, lot of moning guys in the crowd but they are a young team punching above their weight who require support not critisicm

Nae quite a Peterheed loon but fae a village near by always like the team to do well and try to go along when I can basically like to see all the buchan area teams do well apart fae the Broch that is, hoping PD make the play offs they lost today but so did Stirling so no real harm done, lot of moning guys in the crowd but they are a young team punching above their weight who require support not critisicm

Ah a country loon. My ma and da are originally fae aside fishy so I've got a bit o at stock in me.

Aye pity they couldn't win today. Hope they do make the play offs as well. was a good day oot the last time they did. The town actually came out to support them then as well. I ended up standing next to Lee Wilkie at the balmoor terrace end of the ground. Still nae idea fit he was doing there. I'll need to nip along if they're playing at home this time and Aberdeen are away.

In all honesty there should probably be more regionalisation of the scottish game... it would certainly promote local interest in the game. The second and third divisions, should, in my opinion be scapped... An SPL 1 and 2 is probably the best way forward.... with local leagues like the highland league, East of Scotland league, south of scotland league and the West Coast Junior leagues (the juniors on the west coast is far better than the north east equivalent) absorbing the shortfall. There could be an inter-league cup competition and perhaps a play-off series to determine which teams, if any, are able to gain progression into the SPL 2.

I supported Dumbarton as a kid, and the games you looked forward to were against Clydebank, Morton and St. Mirren.... as you say, we had no interest in playing the likes of Elgin and Forfar, and having to travel miles & miles for the pleasure!

Agree with you there rock regionalisation would be the answer with more derby type games less travelling etc
Ah a country loon. My ma and da are originally fae aside fishy so I've got a bit o at stock in me.

Aye pity they couldn't win today. Hope they do make the play offs as well. was a good day oot the last time they did. The town actually came out to support them then as well. I ended up standing next to Lee Wilkie at the balmoor terrace end of the ground. Still nae idea fit he was doing there. I'll need to nip along if they're playing at home this time and Aberdeen are away.

Would be good if the leagues arranged for Peterhead to be away when The Dons are at hame, I take it you were speaking about the Partick game I was standing on the hill outside that day ! had something on with work that day so didnt bother getting a ticket but got away early and stood on the hill wi the other cheap skates then sneaked in through the social club at HT heartbreaking finish for PD in the game
Would be good if the leagues arranged for Peterhead to be away when The Dons are at hame, I take it you were speaking about the Partick game I was standing on the hill outside that day ! had something on with work that day so didnt bother getting a ticket but got away early and stood on the hill wi the other cheap skates then sneaked in through the social club at HT heartbreaking finish for PD in the game

That would be good but then you would have every tom, dick and brechin complaining about it so it will be a non starter. Good idea to boost crowds though at the lower level.

Aye it was the Partick game. Was gutted at the end which surprised me as never thought I would be.

As an aside do you think it'll be good for Peterhead to get into the first division? Surely they would then need to turn proffesional and I'm not sure if they could afford it.

That would be good but then you would have every tom, dick and brechin complaining about it so it will be a non starter. Good idea to boost crowds though at the lower level.

Aye it was the Partick game. Was gutted at the end which surprised me as never thought I would be.

As an aside do you think it'll be good for Peterhead to get into the first division? Surely they would then need to turn proffesional and I'm not sure if they could afford it.

Think the 1st division maybe a step too far Coopy they would need at least half of the squad to go full time, Peterhead would be real minnows compared to Dundee, Dunfermline, Livi and most likely Falkirk if they make the play offs even the po final that will be major achievement, another thing would be the crowds ever other person you see in the toon has a Hun item of clothing on manys the item Ive wanted run them over in Morrisons carpark these same twats are never near Balmoor.

Think the 1st division maybe a step too far Coopy they would need at least half of the squad to go full time, Peterhead would be real minnows compared to Dundee, Dunfermline, Livi and most likely Falkirk if they make the play offs even the po final that will be major achievement, another thing would be the crowds ever other person you see in the toon has a Hun item of clothing on manys the item Ive wanted run them over in Morrisons carpark these same twats are never near Balmoor.

A plan is supposed to be in place for if they do reach the first division. I believe either 6 or 8 players are due to go full time (should they go up) with another group still being part time and a group of youth players also being involved, whether they'll be full time or part time i'm not sure.