Highland League

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlie Duncan is the best manager in the league,he knows how to bring kids through and although it's been quite a while since i seen the Broch his teams were always good footballing teams with mostly all local lads playing

C'MON the BROCH :trophy:

Not for me. I've wanted him gone for years. He has given me great memories like winning the league and cups but theres been a fair few times when he really could have done better.

But hopefully he'll get it right on Sat. :dontknow: Think it'll only be my second broch game this season

Not for me. I've wanted him gone for years. He has given me great memories like winning the league and cups but theres been a fair few times when he really could have done better.

But hopefully he'll get it right on Sat. :dontknow: Think it'll only be my second broch game this season

The last Broch game i was at was the night they won the league at Cove that was a good night and there was a bunch of Vale supporters there waiting for the Broch to get beat

It must be hard for Charlie competing when the likes of Keith,Buckie,Loco's,Cove are all paying a lot of money for your "big name" players.

The last Broch game i was at was the night they won the league at Cove that was a good night and there was a bunch of Vale supporters there waiting for the Broch to get beat

It must be hard for Charlie competing when the likes of Keith,Buckie,Loco's,Cove are all paying a lot of money for your "big name" players.

Aye that wis a good night :dontknow: We only needed a draw but made sure wi a win. I missed 4 games all season that year which was a decent effort if I do say so myself :P They opened deejays specially on the Wednesday night so we could drink late once we got back to the Broch :trophy:

Fair point re the wages and players but sometimes we just didnt see why he picked the players he did or made the subs he made etc (bit like trying to figure oot JC)

Aye that wis a good night :trophy: We only needed a draw but made sure wi a win. I missed 4 games all season that year which was a decent effort if I do say so myself :P They opened deejays specially on the Wednesday night so we could drink late once we got back to the Broch :dance:

Fair point re the wages and players but sometimes we just didnt see why he picked the players he did or made the subs he made etc (bit like trying to figure oot JC)

I hope you enjoy yourself Saturday and don't overdo it on the shandies (Not that Brochers are likely to do that huh ) :P:dontknow:

As someone else said, Elgin should not be bottom of the 3rd division - could easy be pushing for 2nd division. the club is so badly run, i thought the dons had it bad with milne, but the whole robertson thing in elgin was a farce!

stupidly getting guys from the central belt to play for them (although that started to change this season), the dressing room was constantly split. even this season, the main training session was hapening in the snek. one of my pals left elgin this season and went to buckie for a nice signing on fee - he was having to train by himself in elgin or with the u19s or go to train with lossie or whatever. absolute joke. The chance has been and gone for elgin now, and if they have another disaster like this season it could be back to the HL - if they will take them.

they tried signing the top HL players on a few occasions, but a lot of them are happy playing for the top HL teams with there being less travelling and not much less in the way of pay. had they managed to get hold of a 'HL select' team so to speak, they would be in a much better position.

Its a very competitive league, surely cove cant win it 3 years on the trot, that would be some feat!

My tip (well i say my tip, its my flatmate's tip, he plays HL) would be to watch out for the big spending nairn next season.

Locos retain the Fosters Cup

Inverurie Locos retained the Fosters Highland League Cup to make it a cup double this year with goals from Kenny Coull and Scott Michie early in each period of extra time winning them the game, and it was fair to say that Michie's strike was worthy of the occasion.

The first half saw Fraserburgh, with the wind behind them, exerting the majority of the pressure however clearcut chances were at a premium. Jamie Beagrie, Steven Main and Graham Johnston all looked lively but a Willie West header that was glanced wide and an Allan Hale shot which struck Steven Main and went wide was the most they could muster.

At the other end the Red and Blacks had a ten minute spell in the run up to the first half where they exerted some pressure. A series of corners, in which the players looked to pressurise the keeper, lead to the only shot on target of the half. A ball in from the left was met by the head of Steven Park, his effort was parried but Danny Milne followed in to drive it low through the ruck of bodies however Steven Main was on the post and well placed to hoof clear.

The early exchanges of the second half were punctuated by a series of offside flags as the two teams struggled to create in what was a crowded midfield area.Neil McLean managed to hit both bylines in the space of two minutes just around the hour mark as the Locos began to threaten.

The second of these times, on the left, his ball to the front post actually struck the woodwork and was poked away by Russell McBride before Derek Milne completed the clearance.

With 70 minutes on the clock Fraserburgh put together the best move of the match with Neil Main, Steven Main, Willie West and Graham Johnston passing the ball from one end of the pitch to the other leading to Main firing a low ball across towards the unmarked Allan Hale at the back post, but Scott Buchan was able to cut it out as it passed Andy Reid, knocking it away for a corner.

Two minutes later and a high challenge from Steven Park on Willie West on the edge of the area saw the defender booked and gave Graham Johnston the chance to let fly. The red headed striker, primarily playing up top on his own despite having been a feature of the defence earlier in the competition, struck his shot well but it clipped the bar on it's way over.

There was a penalty claim waved away at the other end when Mark Smith's hooked shot could well have struck a raised arm. Given the proximity of the defender to the ball when it was struck it was hard to tell from the stand if it was an arm it hit.

The Locos began to exert pressure on the Broch goal as the game began to stretch in the dying stages but it remained hard to see where a goal was going to come from.

Full Time: Fraserburgh 0 Inverurie Locos 0

The first minute of extra time saw the creation of the best chance of the game so far. A deep ball from the left wing found Craig Ross on the angle of the six yard box. He took a touch and hit it but Paul Leask stood up well to block then gather at the second attempt, being fouled in the process.

A long free kick was headed across goal by Derek Milne into the path of Graham Johnston but he was offside so even if Andy Reid had not made the save it would have simply been academic. Another free kick from halfway, Russell McBride delivering, was met by Milne who flicked a header wide from a difficult angle six yards our.

The breakthrough in the game finally arrived in the 100th minute. Richie Singer got space on the right and he put the cross right onto the head of Kenny Coull, who had moved off his marker and the veteran directed his header high into the postages stamp corner from ten yards out.

However the lead lasted less then two minutes as Russell McBride abandoned his defensive role to meet a Steven Main cross from the left and he placed his header low past Andy Reid from 8 yards.

Two minutes into the second period of the second half and a goal worthy of winning any final was netted by Locos sub Scott Michie. He jinked in from the right, into the box before firing an angled drive across the keeper into the far top corner of the net in the style (for those of us who are old enough) of Kenny Dalglish v Spain at Hampden back in the early 80s.

An injury to ref Scott Macdonald held up play and raised a cheer from both sets of supporters but the biggest cheer of the afternoon was reserved for the final whistle which was met by a loud roar from the Locos fans in the 1049 who turned up for for the final.

After Extra Time: Fraserburgh 1 Inverurie Locos 2

Reporter: Steven Rattray

http://www.ngrfoundation.co.uk/joomla/inde...8&Itemid=34