Currently reading Consider Phlebus by Iain M Banks. Not as much of a chore as some of his other sci-fi novels, but i'm eager to get through it to read something else! Hate being stuck reading a long book that isn't really gripping you, and I also hate half reading books and stopping!

Aye, some of Bank's Culture novels are a struggle, that one's not too bad but try lithe The Player Of Games or Excession, they're decent enough. New Gaunts Ghosts book comes out at the start of the month- I've mentioned the series before, it depicts a regiment of Scots/ Irish commandos fighting in an interplanetary war, really well written, sort of resembles the Sharpe novels in style. Just a shame it's stamped with Warhammer 40k logos everywhere, that fair scares off plenty of punters.

I've jumped on the Bounce bandwagon as well, didn't like the fact that it was in the 'self-help' section in Waterstones mind you.

Also bought To Kill A Mockingbird after seeing heaps of folk kick up a fuss about Michael Gove axing it from the English Syllabus. Curious to see what the fuss is about

Currently reading Bounce, as recommended by Rocket somewhere on here.

Interesting read so far, very thought provoking, makes me wish I had a time machine, still time yet though, need to sell PS4 first.

Come on Pash min.

What do we want?

A time machine.

When do we want it?

That doesn't really matter.

:clangers2:

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I finished 'Railway Man' by Eric Lomax recently. A fantastic & vivid account of life as a PoW under the Japanese kosh. I've never been choked up reading a book before but there was a passage in there that did it for me.

Right now I'm about two-thirds through 'Black Voices', collection of writings from African Americans first published in 1960. It has been a real eye-opener as well as being educational too.

• 3 months later...

Suggestions for good factual World War 2 books please

I read this a few years ago EPK, and I really enjoyed it. It doesn't focus solely on the BoB but instead tries to place it in the context of all the other stuff that was going on at the time. It starts with the evacuation of the British Army in 1940 from the beaches of Dunkirk and goes right through to the cancellation of Operation Sealion when the Luftwaffe gave up trying to eliminate the RAF. The guy writes with a real attention to detail, and a lot of the stuff he recounts was completely unknown to me prior to reading:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-Britain-James-Holland-ebook/dp/B003PJ6FZM/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1412614040&sr=1-1&keywords=battle+of+britain

I read this a few years ago EPK, and I really enjoyed it. It doesn't focus solely on the BoB but instead tries to place it in the context of all the other stuff that was going on at the time. It starts with the evacuation of the British Army in 1940 from the beaches of Dunkirk and goes right through to the cancellation of Operation Sealion when the Luftwaffe gave up trying to eliminate the RAF. The guy writes with a real attention to detail, and a lot of the stuff he recounts was completely unknown to me prior to reading:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-Britain-James-Holland-ebook/dp/B003PJ6FZM/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1412614040&sr=1-1&keywords=battle+of+britain

Cheers, will look into that.

Also fancy this one -

isbn9781780225647-detail.jpg

Hitler's Young Tigers.

Out of print, but you can pick up second hand copies online on Amazon or EBay.

2nd hand must be the way to go, can get that book for a mighty cheap £0.01 plus £2.80 postage, or pay £108.00 plus £2.80 delivery for a new copy.

Ace. You still in same hoose? I'll pop over with it if you like.

Yes, until new year, that would be great min, I am away the morn for a fortnight so now hurry at.

2nd hand must be the way to go, can get that book for a mighty cheap £0.01 plus £2.80 postage, or pay £108.00 plus £2.80 delivery for a new copy.

It's well worth reading... it's on my multiple read list, and I reckon maybe three or four times I've read through it.

Synopsis:

1666179_130309194006_IMG_9711.jpg

Reading Pointless by Jeff Connor. Its about a season (2004-05) spent at East Stirling. Funny as fuck, I don't know how they're getting on now, but back then they were so badly run, they make Sevco look like the epitome of efficiency.

Read that years ago, was good indeed.

Currently reading this:

519wOuMO4nL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Currently reading the 2nd Culture Novel from Iain M Banks, Player Of Games. Only around half the way through but i'm enjoying it so far. I've found it less of a struggle to go through than Consider Phlebas which was quite tough going at times. I read one of the later books, Excession I believe, on holiday a few years back which was decent.

Anyone read any of Iain Banks sci fi stuff? Should they be read in a particular order or just fire on to whatever?