I'm continuing to read classics and now onto Ulysses.

mad.gif It's hard going.

I'd recommend the audio versions. The print versions of some of the classics can be torture to read, even if you have a passion for the subject matter.

Pre-20th Century prose can by dry as a nun's cassock.

Since I was a kid I've had an interest in military history, particularly pertaining to Rome, yet reading Gibbon's 'Decline and Fall', the Holy Bible of the Rome enthusiast, was like having a train pulled on my anus by a variety of 70s BBC celebrities. I just couldn't get through his style of writing, despite desperately wanting to.

The latter half of Dracula is the same.

You can get Ulysses as read by Ian McKellan. That's Gandalf, for fuck's sake.

If the print is killing your will to live then have Gandalf read it to you. He can make getting ripped to pieces by Orcs and Goblins sound appealing, so a little thing like bringing Ulysses to life would be a piece of piss for his magical, fantastical wizardly voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx9guuQQaeI&feature=fvwberel

The most I ever read was when backpacking for 6 months in 2005. Read a steady amount when i started working offshore all over the place in 2006 but now I hardly ever read. Away to buy a Kindle Fire to encourage me to read more. In saying that I think like many have said that I'll prefer to buy actual paperback books (makes you look well read too when your shelves are stacked with books) than reading ebooks.

A good read:

My Friend Leonard by James Fray 8/10

What was your problem with the later parts of Dracula, Kelt?

I really enjoyed the first portion of the book, the first half or so, where Harker travels to Transylvania and deals with Dracula, becoming a prisoner and seemingly beginning the descent into madness. It's engaging, atmospheric, and interesting. Up until he effects his attempted escape from the castle.

Then it switches focus to his utter fucking flake of a wife, and it starts to become all about fainting bitches.

Renfield, at least, holds the interest, what with his lunatic behaviour. The entrance of Dracula himself into England on the shipwrecked ghost ship... all good stuff. But for me the story seems to become seriously disjointed, punctuated by fainting bitches.

First half, great book... great book.

Second Half... decent book spoiled by loss of focus and, of course, bitches fainting.

I can see where you're coming from Kelt. I've only read it once (so I could write about it in my English Literature exam instead of Wuthering Heights) years ago, but one of the things that stands out for me is the "bloofer lady" incident. Which directly involves one of the stupid bitches. As well as when Harker arrives at his castle, as you said.

As you said, the entrance of Dracula in England via Whitby is good, exposed by newspaper articles in the book if I remember correctly, and growing up near and having been to Whitby made it all the better.

However, you never explicitly said it but I got the impression that you thought that the ending was lame. I'd agree.

The whole thing about searching for his lairs and sterilising them was pretty gay.

Might give it a go. I tried the audio book with Hitch 22 and hated it. I would have finished it a lot quicker if I had just read the book. But as you say, it might help more with the classics. Having said that I couldn't put Anna Karenina and Wuthering Heights down.

You must be insane, Wuthering Heights ffs!

Emily Bronte and all that pish.

I've never read so much waffle in my life.

It's just a posh cunt's diary.

It's all flowery language and stuff.

I reckon you're just pretending to like it to sound all knowledgeable and stuff.

Watching paint dry would be a more invigorating alternative means of entertainment.

Why would Wuthering Heights make you knowledgeable? I learned more from Hitch 22 than Wuthering Heights.

Anyway there are indications of necrophilia in WH, how can you not like it??

Why would Wuthering Heights make you knowledgeable? I learned more from Hitch 22 than Wuthering Heights.

Anyway there are indications of necrophilia in WH, how can you not like it??

I had to do a dissertation on it for 6th year studies English, what a load of pish it is.

In fact, I read it, then read it again, and my only thoughts were :wtf: is this shit?

books I have recently read:

Forgotten Highlander - If you ever think your going through a bad time read this, not half as bad as this guy went through.

Gary Nevilles Autobiography - good football focused read, hardly a sentence on his private life.

Jamie Carraghers Autobiography - Good read, can see him going down a similar path as gary neville when he retires.

Paul Mersons Autobiography - the title "how not to be a professional footballer" gives it away, funny account of his time in football.

Was at my parents house earlier, giving my dad a help in the loft, and found 2 of my books from when I was at primary school, the first 2 proper books I read, Goodnight Mr Tom, and The Dolphin Crossing.

Probably not as good as I remember them though.

Thieving bastard.

Count yourself lucky they're nae from Cullen Library or you'd have an incredible fine to pay.

I'd recommend the audio versions. The print versions of some of the classics can be torture to read, even if you have a passion for the subject matter.

Pre-20th Century prose can by dry as a nun's cassock.

Since I was a kid I've had an interest in military history, particularly pertaining to Rome, yet reading Gibbon's 'Decline and Fall', the Holy Bible of the Rome enthusiast, was like having a train pulled on my anus by a variety of 70s BBC celebrities. I just couldn't get through his style of writing, despite desperately wanting to.

Currently reading "Rubicon" but have "Decline and Fall", which I've heard described as a heavy read, in more ways than one, and had hoped to work my way through that at some point but I've never built up the energy to attack it. I tended to get distracted by other works such as Syme's "Roman Revolution" and "Pagans and Christians" by Fox.

I think my next read will be "The Secret History" as I've meant to read it for a while but keep getting distracted and the abstracts I've read promise much.

Autobiographies (especially by footballers) are generally shite.

As is Wuthering Heights.

Running up that Hill is much better.

I actually admit to reading L.A. Confidential, by none other than ex-rangers captain, Lorenzo Amoruso. The reason I picked it up was because I'd read some hilarious bits & pieces from its serialisation in a newspaper... it is unintentionally the funniest book I've ever read. I think I laughed the whole way through!

The section concerning his addiction to Baileys had me in stitches.

books I have recently read:

Forgotten Highlander - If you ever think your going through a bad time read this, not half as bad as this guy went through.

Oddly enough I was listening to this last night. Pretty good book.

I've always meant to read the decline and fall Kelt. I find if I don't get into a book in the first few chapters I'll just end up fucking it off. I have become addicted to the Oxfam bookshop on the back wynd. Great little second hand bookshop and most books are

I've read Rubicon ages ago. Got it in a 2 for 1 with Persian Fire. Persian Fire was the better of the two books. Must admit Roman history doesn't interest me that much. Not enough Vickers guns and Short magazine Lee Enfield Mk 3 in that period for me but always heard about Gibbons decline and fall and the reverential tones it is treated with so thought it would be a good book.

I've read Rubicon ages ago. Got it in a 2 for 1 with Persian Fire. Persian Fire was the better of the two books. Must admit Roman history doesn't interest me that much. Not enough Vickers guns and Short magazine Lee Enfield Mk 3 in that period for me but always heard about Gibbons decline and fall and the reverential tones it is treated with so thought it would be a good book.

I'm sure it was a great book for it's time, for about 200 years in fact... so that's nothing to be sneezed at.

You'll still get people calling 'BLASPHEMY!" if anyone dares suggesting that Gibbon's work has been eclipsed by a modern writer, but those people need to shut the fuck up and drag their arses into the 21st Century with the rest of us.