Rebus series by Ian Rankin! Brilliant. On Black and Blue at the moment and there's a lot of hun/tim fechting going on which really interests me. Lots aboot fitba and set in Scotland. I'm on book 8 of 17 and canna wait to "finish" the series. Not a clue what I'll read next. I was thinking about a kindle but already got an iPad and not sure if it would be worth it.

• Upvote 1

I think I find myself in a similar boat to MT. Have never really been a reader of fiction until I was bought a copy of 'A Tale Etched In Blood and Hard Black Pencil' by Chris Brookmyre. I took the stupid opinion that fiction was a 'waste of time' or an 'indulgence'. Utter nonsense thinking on my part I finally realise.

I have since rattled through 6 of his books but am aware that it's going to be a short lived thing if I can't find other authors who engage me in the same way.

So... what other books are the Chris Brookmyre fans on here into?

Have read all of Brookmyre's stuff, it's great.

He gets compared to Carl Hiassen from the States quite often. I've read one of his, it was very good too.

I think I find myself in a similar boat to MT. Have never really been a reader of fiction until I was bought a copy of 'A Tale Etched In Blood and Hard Black Pencil' by Chris Brookmyre. I took the stupid opinion that fiction was a 'waste of time' or an 'indulgence'. Utter nonsense thinking on my part I finally realise.

I have since rattled through 6 of his books but am aware that it's going to be a short lived thing if I can't find other authors who engage me in the same way.

So... what other books are the Chris Brookmyre fans on here into?

Also, 'sliding down the bannister by R. Stornoway' that's a reference to 'The Stornoway Way' Pheonix :sheepdance: ... Good read that! Forget the author's name.

I've got literally hunners (to quote weegies) of books which I've read, a fair smattering of them are Brookmyre-esque fiction, tell me the books you want and you can have them for nowt I'll post them to you, canna say fairer than that, Phoen has already been the beneficiary of such philanthropy on my part, although I'm still waiting on his book, it's like a tram in Edinburgh, a hoora long time coming and might never arrive but it's the thought on his part that counts, he thought about giving it to me, that's good enough for me.

I've got literally hunners (to quote weegies) of books which I've read, a fair smattering of them are Brookmyre-esque fiction, tell me the books you want and you can have them for nowt I'll post them to you, canna say fairer than that, Phoen has already been the beneficiary of such philanthropy on my part, although I'm still waiting on his book, it's like a tram in Edinburgh, a hoora long time coming and might never arrive but it's the thought on his part that counts, he thought about giving it to me, that's good enough for me.

:laughing:

Guaranteed to arrive in time for Xmas , tup.....my doctor must be as slow a reader as I( and much more busy ). I had to confess to him that I have as yet to complete 'Fermat's Last Theorem' , Murakami's 'The Wild Sheep Chase' is faaar easier to read...as yours will be when I get on to them , they are in the queue. :)

Retirement is only several months away now when time allowed for reading should increase exponentially , it currently runs at about a chapter per night , due to the fact that I'm usually knackered. Old age is a bastard , let me warn you all...try to avoid. :P

Spot goes to school

An emotional story about the importance of friendship, education and one dogs struggle to overcome everything that life throws at it.

You should try 'The Gruffalo' next, a true David against Goliath tale of a mouse overcoming incredible odds to survive in the jungle that is a fictional forest, in a depiction of a scenario which is nothing like real life.

You should try 'The Gruffalo' next, a true David against Goliath tale of a mouse overcoming incredible odds to survive in the jungle that is a fictional forest, in a depiction of a scenario which is nothing like real life.

Where's Sone?

An interesting and heart felt story about a young lad from Birmingham who's career went from scoring against one of Europes biggest clubs, to scoring out prices in the local Morrisons all because he felt homesick. There is also pictures in the middle of the book of his trip to Turin.