A bit of variety recently.

Trying to get a bit better understanding of Asia, so read The Story of India by Michael Woods. A bit further back in time than I was looking to go, and a bit boring.

Too much ancient civilisation shxte.

Trying to get a better understanding of Turkey, Iran politics and came upon a book Changing Borders by Jody A Sabral.

Story loosely revolves around a supposedly secret redrawn map of The Middle East by the Americans. Such a map does actually exist.

Fairly short novel with a decent plot, but she's a journalist and should stick to her day job.

Tony Benn Diaries 2001-2007.

The first such series of political diaries I've ever read. Quite fascinating how all the major issues of the day crop up and how you can relate to them.

Tony Benn is a right auld dodger nowadays, but fair play to him he is away travelling the length and breadth of the country every other day giving a lecture here or supporting some cause there.

He has an absolute loathing for Tony Blair but conversely a close admiration for his wife Cheryl Blair ( Booth ).

For an auld cxnt he seems to have a bit of a crush on Natasia Kaplinsky, and why not!

A Swedish mystery by Johan Theorin, Echoes from the Dead.

It wis ok, but unfortunately is the first of a trilogy and the wife has just handed me the 2nd of them.

It's nae that fxckin good and I sussed the dodgy character a few pages efter he was introduced.

I like a bit of Irvine Welsh. Thought Marabou Stork Nightmares was bizarre but brilliant at the same time.

Might have a look at that Skagboys. A prequel to Trainspotting.

Well, I'm a bit of a sci-fi buff so I'm currently reading through the Gaunt's Ghosts series by Dan Abnett. Absolutely fantastic, it's all about the adventures of a regiment of hard ass scottish/welsh/irish commandos who fight intergalactic satanists in the far future. It's as completely fucking nuts as you can get, but I still canna get enough of the future war story action. Last non sci fi book I read though was Tom Clancy's The Hunt For Red October. Think the movie wi Sean Connery was good? It ain't got nothin on the book.

Wuthering Heights. Proper stuff.

Pish. I had to read it a few years ago at college as we were studying "gothic" novels. Load of shite. I read Dracula instead.

Currently reading Brave New World, it's pretty good. Not yet convinced it's as good as 1984, but I've read that all the way through.

The popularity of 50 Shades Of Grey just cements my opinion that the majority of women really can't think for themselves and have to jump on the popularity of something. They really don't like being left out do they?

No offence to the women on this forum, the fact you are on a footballing forum suggests you are in the minority.

The popularity of 50 Shades Of Grey just cements my opinion that the majority of women really can't think for themselves and have to jump on the popularity of something. They really don't like being left out do they?

Indeed.

It is bizarre that every female that reads it seems to have to proclaim that they have or are in the process of doing so.

As far as my facebook goes, they are either rather slow on the uptake of reading books, or they are feeling the need to show off that they are reading it.

Dead right, it's a man's world, despite what some split arses might like to convince themselves.

i'm rather fond of my split arse, thank you. :sheepdance:

i bought the set for light summer reading (i'll admit to perusing the NY Times bestsellers list), but barely made it through the first book before they were passed along. poorly written fluff.

currently reading Arthur Herman's To Rule the Waves. :thumbup1:

and just finished The Art of Racing in the Rain. a quick read, and made me tear up in parts. :cry: but a nice read.

• 3 weeks later...

Good book Big Man?

hysterical.gif

Well, what happened was: i had many different tabs open with many different threads, and i meant to respond to the PC Harwood thread but i posted in here by mistake.

Realising the error i quickly went in, edited the post and deleted it, hopefully before anyone noticed.

I have just recently finished all hell let loose by Max Hastings. It was fucking superb.

I am currently reading The First World War by Martin Gilbert. Again it has, so far, been superb.

Up next after that is Flowers of the Forest. It is about the Scots in ww1. I shall write another in depth review when I have finished that.

I have just recently finished all hell let loose by Max Hastings. It was fucking superb.

I am currently reading The First World War by Martin Gilbert. Again it has, so far, been superb.

Up next after that is Flowers of the Forest. It is about the Scots in ww1. I shall write another in depth review when I have finished that.

As i am tighter than two coats of paint Coops,could you make your review detailed enough so I don't have to stealbuy it.

The hardback review if possible.The paperback editions are always somewhat lacking.

Thanks in advance.

No offence to the women on this forum, the fact you are on a footballing forum suggests you are in the minority.

Spot on min. Never a truer word spoken.

They'd spend all their time shacked up in the kitchen, getting the dinner ready, with circumcised genitalia, moustaches and shaved heids if that was the status quo and their pals were doing it.

The majority of woman (MDAL you are excused here) are thoroughly incapable of independent thought. The only thing that drives them is competition with another female who they deem to be lesser than themselves, or mimicry of another female who they deem to be better than themselves, with a view to usurping their status. Without us to give them focus, the female species really wouldn't be up to much.

Read just about every Max Hastings book, First World War by Gilbert is superb, but I actually preferred Hew Strachan's The First World War, and is the basis of the series by the same name. Just outstanding.

One full episode here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPNmttVkoCQ&feature=related

Hastings' 'The Battle For the Falklands' is also essential reading.

And if those did it for you, get hold of "All Necessary Means" by Ben Brown, regarding the second leberation of Kuwait.

• 1 month later...

A Joseph Campbell Companion: Reflections on the art of living

Read this whilst travelling about 10 years ago but found it in my loft last week and re-reading it now.

I think this is one of my favourite books. Just an amazing collection of information on philosophy, literature, life, the universe and everything.

A Joseph Campbell Companion: Reflections on the art of living

Read this whilst travelling about 10 years ago but found it in my loft last week and re-reading it now.

I think this is one of my favourite books. Just an amazing collection of information on philosophy, literature, life, the universe and everything.

I'd not seen this before. Based on the recommendation, and a quick review online, I ordered it. Nothing like a stack of good books to give you a feeling of contentment. :thumbs:

My haul from a trip to the bookshop yesterday. Started in on the The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America . A good read so far. Tells the true tale of the 1893 World's Fair and the cunning serial killer who used the fair to lure his victims to their death.

And much looking forward to delving into What Money Can't Buy (Sandel advances the argument that markets are not morally neutral. "The question of markets is really a question about how we want to live together. Do we want a society where everything is up for sale? Or are there certain moral and civic goods that markets do not honour and money cannot buy?")

10487_10151014229922341_1326382873_n.jpg

I'd not seen this before. Based on the recommendation, and a quick review online, I ordered it. Nothing like a stack of good books to give you a feeling of contentment. :thumbs:

My haul from a trip to the bookshop yesterday. Started in on the The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America . A good read so far. Tells the true tale of the 1893 World's Fair and the cunning serial killer who used the fair to lure his victims to their death.

And much looking forward to delving into What Money Can't Buy (Sandel advances the argument that markets are not morally neutral. "The question of markets is really a question about how we want to live together. Do we want a society where everything is up for sale? Or are there certain moral and civic goods that markets do not honour and money cannot buy?")

10487_10151014229922341_1326382873_n.jpg

Nice one. Is that Catch 22 I see there? Quality book if not more than a little fucked up!

The Clough book was good, but I preferred the Damned United, as it portrayed him as he was, a ruthless alcoholic who was very persuasive indeed and would stop at nothing for success.

If you haven't read it "Provided you don't kiss me... 20 years with Brian Clough", is a good read, by a journalist who started covering them when he was 17, and became a friend of Clough. Some great tales of things that went on, and analyses Clough and Peter Taylors relationship pretty closely.