Union Street Decline

Pot Luck

NANDOS IS BRILLIANT!

There; i've said it.

Had my best ever chicken in that place, love it, cheap as well.

Also like the ribs n chicken place further down, Spur I think its called.

I LOVE UNION SQUARE, the TKmax outside is good too, plenty of bargains to be had.

Union street should be left to the beggars and minks, too cold most of the time anyway.

After reading first half of that i almost bit before it clicked!! :hysterical:

Nandos in the UK are crap compared to the ones you get abroad. And what's with having to go up and order yer meal from a counter at nandos? It's meant to be a restaurant so I expect someone to come to my table and take my order.

Union Square consists generally of shops selling overpriced garbage. Most shopers just float around the centre carrying Primark bags anyway. The cinema and restaurants are a welcome change from wall to wall shops though.

• 12 years later...

Went to the Pub threads and went right back to the first pages of it some 13 years ago and found some brilliant threads, some much missed top posters and some good laughs.

This thread is the original Aberdeen City Centre thread but fuck me back in 2011 the writing was on the wall 😕

Absolute travesty that Bebo couldy buy a tambourine in Bruce Millers back on the day😆

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Shops can't compete with  internet shopping with all their overheads.

The council need to make the rental fees possibly as low as £200 a month to bring the kiss of life back to union street.otherwise our main street will be just a walk through .

Back in the 60s I remember going to the ABC minors picture house club as a kid to watch Flash and the likes 

Whilst on the Saturday bus all I could see was heads the street was that busy..

It's so sad walking down union street and seeing very few people .

What would help is the council gets people away from working at home and into the office because there's hardly anyone working in the building .

That would help the coffee shops and other clothes shops because they employ a lot of people .

Other companies need to do the same .

8 hours ago, Poodler said:

Scar face - what was the story about him again? 

Had multiple accounts and used to give himself a +1 rating on every post he made from the other accounts and -1 to other folk.

Was in the days before dildos for ratings (Dildos for ratings GBN) etc.

Imagine getting so upset over a negative rating that you can't stop yourself returning it to someone. What a life you must lead being that sad.

:wave:

• Haha 2
11 minutes ago, The Boofon said:

Had multiple accounts and used to give himself a +1 rating on every post he made from the other accounts and -1 to other folk.

Was in the days before dildos for ratings (Dildos for ratings GBN) etc.

Imagine getting so upset over a negative rating that you can't stop yourself returning it to someone. What a life you must lead being that sad.

:wave:

Sounds like a weegie based poster who always likes to get the last word in. He always returns a dildo within minutes of receiving one. I like what you did here.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

While the Council are pretty useless, they seem to get blamed for absolutely everything, even if it isn't their fault or remit. The Marischal College cleaning a prime example.

Citizens - "Why oh why did you leave the tower at the end you useless bastards." 

Council - "It's owned by the Church of Scotland. We can't touch it."

Citizens - "Oh well you could have just done it as a favour. You can't get anything right. Bins not collected in Westhill today." 

Council - "Westhill is in Aberdeenshire. You fuckers voted to stay out of the city 40 odd years ago."

Okay.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, Edwin Starr said:

I'd expect better with Aberdeen being Europe's oil capital.

The benefits go 500 miles south and leaves us in a state of disrepair.

They don't even go there Eddie. Mostly foreign owned, private companies making the dough. Granted it was UK government that created that situation.

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, Edwin Starr said:

I'd expect better with Aberdeen being Europe's oil capital.

The benefits go 500 miles south and leaves us in a state of disrepair.

Come on Buc, you think the majority of High Streets in England are any better than in Scotland?

You honestly think if we were independent we wouldn't be seeing the same issues with High Streets?

Get your independent rose tinted specs off and look at the real reasons behind the decline of High Streets, online shopping and it's convenience, and it's something that we are all guilty of using.

• Upvote 3
2 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Come on Buc, you think the majority of High Streets in England are any better than in Scotland?

You honestly think if we were independent we wouldn't be seeing the same issues with High Streets?

Get your independent rose tinted specs off and look at the real reasons behind the decline of High Streets, online shopping and it's convenience, and it's something that we are all guilty of using.

This is true. Go and have a walk round Luton town centre. Makes Aberdeen seem like some sort of utopian idyll.

34 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

So how many are taking down shops and offices and building city centre accommodation (as opposed to suburban grey cul de saqs).

Geniuses you say...

There's quite a bit of that going on down my way. Not as much as there should be though, too many vested interests.

• Upvote 1