Union Street Decline

Pot Luck

internet shopping. No need to go wandering up and down Union Street looking for stuff to buy when you can do it online & get it cheaper.

Aberdonians love a bargain.

True but even then there are a lot of people who still prefer the hustle and bustle of a busy city centre (i don't know why they do but they do) and the street looks like something out of 28 Days Later at times. An absolute ghost town.

The only way forward apart from obviously getting some shops and businesses into these places is they have GOT to pedestrianise it.

True but even then there are a lot of people who still prefer the hustle and bustle of a busy city centre (i don't know why they do but they do) and the street looks like something out of 28 Days Later at times. An absolute ghost town.

The only way forward apart from obviously getting some shops and businesses into these places is they have GOT to pedestrianise it.

Why would that change anything ?

Shopping centres. Bon Accord killed George Street and Union Square is killing Union Street. That simple.

Did George Street ever have high street shops on it ? because I never count it as being in the city center because most of the shop on it are rubbish.

All the other city centres in Scotland - who have the big shopping centres too - have pedestrianisation so don't understand why we don't tbh.

But the shops get deliveries. The plans are that from market street to bridge street the road would be closed another step closer to argyle street.

Basically it's all our fault for suckling on the teat of the major superstores

Because we're too grippy and way too lazy.

EG.The Butcher in the market has great mealy puddings but that means parking at so and so and walking then there's the traffic.

So you go to asda/tesco ect and get an inferior product but you can save

Pot Luck, what are your thoughts on David Winnie and Paul Kane?

David Winnie - I don't think he was really that interesting only scoring 1 goal for Aberdeen. He was not that good but he is gone now.

Paul Kane - I think he was good player for Aberdeen scoring 11 goals in his time with the team. We need someone like him on the team now. Its depends on the team mates he is playing with if he is good, because with other teams he did not play well.

What has this got to do with Union Street.

David Winnie - I don't think he was really that interesting only scoring 1 goal for Aberdeen. He was not that good but he is gone now.

Paul Kane - I think he was good player for Aberdeen scoring 11 goals in his time with the team. We need someone like him on the team now. Its depends on the team mates he is playing with if he is good, because with other teams he did not play well.

What has this got to do with Union Street.

I'll decide.

I mind when there were two wimpeys in union street, now there are none. The sports shops were great to look around too, everything was cheaper so shops could compete. Plus you didn't have out of town shopping malls.

On the bright side if we hang about Pittodrie long enough we might get to build a stadium on union street millenium stadium style.

Shopping habits change, more folk are buying stuff online etc as has already been said. Union street isnt so busy anymore, but instead you can buy anything you want whilst sitting on your arse at home, at a cheaper price. And we have Union Square which every time I'm in is hoaching, has heaps of restaurants and a good cinema.

And if you don't like to eat there at the chains the are far more independent local restaurants and cafes dotted round the city centre than in union streets 'heyday'

Change isn't always a bad thing, folk should take off their Rose tinted specs when thinking bout 'the good old day's.