Goodwillie Rape Charge Dropped

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting choice of words there. Don't think it would be in the interests of anyone in Scotland to get the charges dropped before a move was agreed...

Interesting times ahead for Dundee United though. Selling him for a good fee may let them do some vital upgrade work to other areas of their team if they want to keep up with recent years' performances, but they will be losing a lot of goals. Russell may be able to step up to the plate in that respect though. Alternatively, their might be nothing available to spend, then it will be a big miss.

If ( or when) we do sell Goodwillie, I have a feeling it'll be bottom six for United. Russell will be an excellent player but he's not ready just yet. As for Jon Daly... :suicide:

Daly's not that bad is he? Better than any of our strikers, although that's not really hard.

So does this mean that he isn't a rapist because there wasn't any evidence to suggest he was a rapist , or that he might be a rapist but they didn't have enough evidence to convict him of rape?

I mean, does this mean he's definitely NOT a rapist?

So does this mean that he isn't a rapist because there wasn't any evidence to suggest he was a rapist , or that he might be a rapist but they didn't have enough evidence to convict him of rape?

In the eyes of the law he definitely not a rapist and he can sue anyone who suggests otherwise. :checkit:

Innocent until proven guilty and all that. Statistically, convictions for rape cases are extremely low when compared to the number reported.

Interesting choice of words there. Don't think it would be in the interests of anyone in Scotland to get the charges dropped before a move was agreed...

Interesting times ahead for Dundee United though. Selling him for a good fee may let them do some vital upgrade work to other areas of their team if they want to keep up with recent years' performances, but they will be losing a lot of goals. Russell may be able to step up to the plate in that respect though. Alternatively, their might be nothing available to spend, then it will be a big miss.

I would disagree with that, i'd say it was in everyones interest that the charge was dropped before a move was agreed. No club would have taken him seriously with a rape charge hanging over his head, he would have been too toxic - there would have always been the risk that he would move and then be tried and convicted. Also, from dundee united's point of view if anyone was interested, he would have been worth a lot less money with an impending rape trial ongoing and the negative publicity that would attract. A club that signs a player who is an alledged rapist? almost as a bad as a club who tries to keep on a convicted sex pest.

If (or when) we do sell Goodwillie, I have a feeling it'll be bottom six for United. Russell will be an excellent player but he's not ready just yet. As for Jon Daly... :suicide:

This is it, if i was you i'd hang on to goodwillie for the forseeable future - russell needs a few more seasons in the incubator and daly is bombscare (by dundee united standards not ours).

Let me start by saying that David goodwillie is definately not a rapist in the eyes of the law. This is only my opinion, but knowing what i know about the crown office and the details of the case ''he might be rapist but they didn't have enough evidence'' is closest to the truth. There was evidence to suggest he was a rapist but it was insufficient in law for the case to proceed to trial. Most likely because there was an inability to corroborate the evidence of the complainer. Having said that ive seen rape cases proceed to a trial diet where the quality of the evidence is much less than in this case. Sometimes they are wiling to take a risk, sometimes not - it depends on the individual prosecutor and what the lord advocate wants.

The crown office probably didn't want to take the risk of going to trial and having the judge throw out the case - would of brought far too much criticism crashing down on their heads, and Mr McBride QC. would have milked this to death if it did.

:sherlock:

To be honest, he's a decent SPL player but nothing more. He's the nominated hate-figure for United fans. Every team seems to have one and at United, Daly's it.

Looks like our fans miss read this rule.

We have had quite a large amount of them but we just cannot collectively decide who is most hated.

The nominees over the past decade to date are..

Darren Mackie

Richard Foster

Mark Kerr

Gary McDonald

Darren Mackie

Zander Diamond

Chris Maguire

Sone Aluko

Darren Mackie

Jamie Langfiled

Mark Howard

Andrew Considine

Lee Miller

Darren Mackie

Derek Young

Michael Paton

Chris Clark

Scott Severin

Darren Mackie

Rory McArdle

Not forgetting Managers & assistants

We have had quite a large amount of them but we just cannot collectively decide who is most hated.

Darren Mackie

Richard Foster

Mark Kerr

Gary McDonald

Darren Mackie

Zander Diamond

Chris Maguire

Sone Aluko

Darren Mackie

Jamie Langfiled

Mark Howard

Andrew Considine

Lee Miller

Darren Mackie

Derek Young

Michael Paton

Chris Clark

Scott Severin

Darren Mackie

Rory McArdle

You seem to have missed Darren Mackie from that list.

• Admin

He's definitely not a rapist.

From what i understand, the case was dropped before it even went to court. If it went to court and it was deemed "not proven", then you could say, aye aye, wink wink, as opposed to Not guilty which would mean all evidence points to him being innocent.

I would disagree with that, i'd say it was in everyones interest that the charge was dropped before a move was agreed. No club would have taken him seriously with a rape charge hanging over his head, he would have been too toxic - there would have always been the risk that he would move and then be tried and convicted. Also, from dundee united's point of view if anyone was interested, he would have been worth a lot less money with an impending rape trial ongoing and the negative publicity that would attract. A club that signs a player who is an alledged rapist? almost as a bad as a club who tries to keep on a convicted sex pest.

I thought you were suggesting a nudge nudge wink wink type manouvre...

Club would have wanted a price agreed before it was dropped in that case.

I thought you were suggesting a nudge nudge wink wink type manouvre...

Club would have wanted a price agreed before it was dropped in that case.

Na, i didn't mean to suggest anything like that. I just meant that goodwillie's an animal:

• Assaults a man at a stirling nightclub - only gets a fine

• Assaults a nightclub doorman (boy knocked unconscious) - only gets a fine

• Charged with rape - charges dropped due to insufficient evidence

and i don't think it will be the last time that he's in trouble with the law and the crown will have to drop the case or issue a meaningless fine. :sherlock:

Na, i didn't mean to suggest anything like that. I just meant that goodwillie's an animal:

• Assaults a man at a stirling nightclub - only gets a fine

• Assaults a nightclub doorman (boy knocked unconscious) - only gets a fine

• Charged with rape - charges dropped due to insufficient evidence

and i don't think it will be the last time that he's in trouble with the law and the crown will have to drop the case or issue a meaningless fine. :sherlock:

And according to a lot of witnesses (some were even posters on here) the boy was acting in self defence towards a heavyweight rugby cock who was acting hard.

Jim Spence saying apparently 10 clubs in total have opened an interest tonight. Blackpool and Huns main contenders but apparently an Arsenal scout was up at the Europa league game, though can't see that happening. Will Phil Collins accept less than 2 million for him?

Jim Spence saying apparently 10 clubs in total have opened an interest tonight. Blackpool and Huns main contenders but apparently an Arsenal scout was up at the Europa league game, though can't see that happening. Will Phil Collins accept less than 2 million for him?

Nope and they shouldn't.

Darren Mackie

Richard Foster

Mark Kerr

Gary McDonald

Darren Mackie

Zander Diamond

Chris Maguire

Sone Aluko

Darren Mackie

Jamie Langfiled

Mark Howard

Andrew Considine

Lee Miller

Darren Mackie

Derek Young

Michael Paton

Chris Clark

Scott Severin

Darren Mackie

Rory McArdle

hysterical.gifhysterical.gifhysterical.gifhysterical.gifhysterical.gifhysterical.gif

To be fair nothing more odious than a fake rape claim, seems he's likely innocent so be as well draw a line under it.

The lad not engaged with a kid on the way? Don't see why he'd ever feel the need to rape someone.

Always seemed to me like the bird in question saw a cash windfall opportunity and went for it.

Why does anyone commit the crime of rape - its usually a power thing, and goodwillies power daft. He thinks he's the untouchable golden boy (perhaps with some degree of right and purpose on his side).