Whisky

teheeculls

I know jack shit about whisky, but a friend got me a bottle of Laphroaig 10 Year Old Douglas of Drumlanrig, as a gift to mark my daughters birth.

Has anyone tried it, or knows anything about it?

It seems to get good reviews online, so is this the kind of thing to keep as a treasure and secretly quaff while serving Tesco Value Whisky to my guests?

Gads.

• 2 weeks later...

used to think you were arite but you've really gone off with that comment ;)

Try the storm it's a bit chock, needed something and lemon from a g&t found its way in and helped. Currently fishing out a dry roasted KP peanut will update if it worked out too.

Was reading reviews online and someone was saying all these "special" versions are generally the normal ones where they have made a cunt of it. Like the color is out or that.

I'm afraid it's not. It's a "No Age Statement" 10 year old, and nowhere near the complexity of the 12. I have half a bottle of a 12 left, and it's going to last me for years, unless I manage to get my hands on another.

Cracking post Macleod.

Couldn't get my hands on a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 year old so got some of that Glenlivet Founders Reserve and a bottle of Aberlour 10 year old. They should see me over the festive period - I hope.

I'm afraid it's not. It's a "No Age Statement" 10 year old, and nowhere near the complexity of the 12. I have half a bottle of a 12 left, and it's going to last me for years, unless I manage to get my hands on another.

Apologies. It's the direct entry level replacement then. My mate bought a case of it when he heard it was being stopped.

Apologies. It's the direct entry level replacement then. My mate bought a case of it when he heard it was being stopped.

Forgive my ignorance by how can an aged Whisky be stopped?

If a company make a 12 year old every year of the same Whisky wouldn't that mean fresh supplies would still be sitting waiting to be released every year for the next 11 years?

Forgive my ignorance but how can a Whisky be complex?

Like red wine after the first glass they all taste the same or you've given up caring.

Complex Whisky!

It's like wine buffs with their ' Fruity ambience with a subtle hint of nutmeg' pish.

Vodka snobs are as bad with; Grey Goose is better than the rest, lovely and smooth...What's the frigging difference when it gets drowned in coke and ice.

You do taste the difference with some but i admit im a bit of a hoover/gulper and not one who swirls it round his pallet so to speak

same with food for me it fuel for others its all about flavour/taste