Paul Lawrie's Corner

Well played Chippy, another good week, you must have taught Laird too well all those years ago.

Lets hope he goes on to beat Westwood today.

I'm rooting for Peter Hanson, gotta a few quid on him at 90/1,if he wins today though, good chance he'll be against McIlroy in the semi's.

Good luck at Augusta Paul :)

Maybe if you actually watched some golf?.....

Had arguably the most exciting win of 2011 last season, and has never been anything but a top gent whenever he's been interviewed. Comments about his accent just show what a bunch of parochial erses some in the north east can be, he's been in America for a dozen years, how the fuck do you expect him to sound?

Dry yer eyes min, even the commentators were picking up on his accent I guess they are narrow-minded erses as well.

Watch what your saying about accents t.b fatshaft gets a bit touchy on that subject :rolleyes:

Not just that, but the other pish you spouted as well. Nothing wrong with noting it as tightbreeks did, it's the fact that somehow makes Laird 'a bit of a twat', along with his 'white breeks' (like most pros wear), and his long putter (like so many pros use). Only twat appears to be you :rolleyes:

Not just that, but the other pish you spouted as well. Nothing wrong with noting it as tightbreeks did, it's the fact that somehow makes Laird 'a bit of a twat', along with his 'white breeks' (like most pros wear), and his long putter (like so many pros use). Only twat appears to be you :rolleyes:

Hey min, it's an opinion, Laird could be a top bloke for all I know but my take on him is he's a bit of a twat. Just cause other pro's wear the white breeks won't change my opinion on them, they all look like twats with them on.

Belly putters - controversial bit of kit - fuckin cheating in my eyes, again just my opinion.

Hey min, it's an opinion, Laird could be a top bloke for all I know but my take on him is he's a bit of a twat. Just cause other pro's wear the white breeks won't change my opinion on them, they all look like twats with them on.

Belly putters - controversial bit of kit - fuckin cheating in my eyes, again just my opinion.

Here it is in all it's glory.

What a trumpet you really are Fatshaft.

Folk can have opinions that are different to yours.

I'm a bit suspicious of folk who's accents change like that.

I know a guy who's in his late 50s or so, and moved from Manchester to Australia as a ten pound pom, when he was just a little kid. He still speaks with a thick mancunian accent.

The head coach and his assistant, at my soccer club are both cockneys, who moved to Australia in their teens, and they still sound like Del Boy and Rodney!

I've been out of Scotland for about 8 years now and my accent certainly hasn't changed. It's interesting, I don't enough about it, whether some people are more susceptible than others, or whether folk do it deliberately. I don't follow Golf that closely so I've never heard Laird speaking... so I looked him up on Youtube. I'm sorry, but that's more than just an American twang - if he moved over to America, as recently as his college years, he must have put some work into that American accent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L70PV6kgS8

I mean, come on? That's an American speaking with a slight Scottish twang! The give away is his use of "Soccer" rather than football. Growing up in Glasgow, you'd never refer to football as "soccer"

I'm a bit suspicious of folk who's accents change like that.

I know a guy who's in his late 50s or so, and moved from Manchester to Australia as a ten pound pom, when he was just a little kid. He still speaks with a thick mancunian accent.

The head coach and his assistant, at my soccer club are both cockneys, who moved to Australia in their teens, and they still sound like Del Boy and Rodney!

I've been out of Scotland for about 8 years now and my accent certainly hasn't changed. It's interesting, I don't enough about it, whether some people are more susceptible than others, or whether folk do it deliberately. I don't follow Golf that closely so I've never heard Laird speaking... so I looked him up on Youtube. I'm sorry, but that's more than just an American twang - if he moved over to America, as recently as his college years, he must have put some work into that American accent.

I mean, come on? That's an American speaking with a slight Scottish twang! The give away is his use of "Soccer" rather than football. Growing up in Glasgow, you'd never refer to football as "soccer"

You make a very good point. Generally you find the Guffs never change their accent, becasue they're so fucking overwhelmingly arrogant they think everyone can understand them, the Scousers and the CocKnees being the most obvious, and ear grating examples.

Meanwhile the far more worldy wise and educated Scots, tend to understand that people from different parts struggle to understand those from other countries, and tend to move towards a more 'proper' English pronounciation as a result.

This often leads to picking up slang inadvertently, and local twang generally creeps in, see also McDowell & Feherty as other great examples in golf. It happens everywhere, and works equally in reverse with incomers who have moved here as well if you care to listen.

However while I accept the point you make about Guffs in Australia, I bet you if they go home, their friends & relatives all give them a dig for their Aus accents. To you their guffness still stands out, becasue they wil always have a bit of it, but outside your local environment they will have an Aus twang.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul Lawrie is 150 on Sky Bet for the Masters.

I've punted Tenner E/W on him.

EDIT: I've just noticed this is the weekend of my stagger so I'll miss the majority of it as we'll be boozing.

Going off the boil a bitty it seems after a final round 77 yesterday. :ThumbsDown:

What's up next Paul?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks , Yeah no problem played 18 holes this morning first full round since Miami

Looking forward to it

Paul.

Congrats on making the Masters, and your nomination for Freedom of Aberdonia.

Paul, my son has just joined Murcar as a junior member. He's 11 and got a rare wee swing. Would you advise some lessons at that age or try and let him develop naturally?

Congrats on making the Masters, and your nomination for Freedom of Aberdonia.

Paul, my son has just joined Murcar as a junior member. He's 11 and got a rare wee swing. Would you advise some lessons at that age or try and let him develop naturally?

Thanks looking forward to playing there again

There's no harm in getting your son a couple of lessons as sometimes by 11 there already into some bad habits but I wouldn't get him to many as his swing will change a lot as he plays more

Cheers Paul.