Neil Simpson Benefit Match!

Quite shocked about the amount of folk on here and mad complaining about the atmosphere and having to sit next to glory hunters but then the same breath say "they have probably never even seen him play, its about Simmy not Man Utd"

If we had a few thousand fans who cared enough about the club then you wouldnt have to sit next to the glory hunters, might have also helped a bit with the atmosphere.

Surely if previous testimonials are anything to go by its better having £15 from a glory hunter than Simmy getting nothing from an empty seat, He got a sell out, and after all as long as he gets the money in his pocket, thats the most important thing.

It was Simmys night after all!

Which is what I said right from the beginning.

I hate Man United, hate the gloryhunters, and hate the fact that only Man United would get these cretins down to Pittodrie of a Tuesday evening.

However from a commercial perspective it was a very astute decision from his testimonial committee as it guaranteed a sellout.

• Upvote 1

The game itself was a bit of a non event and the atmosphere was a little strange but what youd expect from a friendly/testimonial.

Worst part for me was the amount of little kids at the game with Man Utd tops on. A sign of the times I suppose but all the same, Its a shame to see that they were only there to see Man U.

Great to finally see Simmie acknowledged for his playing career and not that tackle.

Anyone else notice the amount of disgusting abuse the huns were flinging at Jim Spence and a few others who were updating the result on twitter last night?

Aye, that was ok last night.

Just odd to see almost zero atmosphere despite the place being sold out. I've known better atmospheres in pubs before games. I suppose that's just standard for a friendly though.

Annoying to see so many Aberdonian 'Man U' fans :rolleyes: but I suppose that;s just the way it is these days.

The only United player I gave a reception to was Darren Fletcher, thought that was a nice touch from all in attendance.

I long to see Pittodrie sold out again for competitive fixtures. The games against Copenhagen and Bayern a few years back were electric.

Delighted for Simmy last night, well deserved, and it was good to see Aberdeen play well.

Hayes, Paton and Reynolds were the stand outs for me.

Now, same again on Saturday please!

I'm not really sure why folk take a testimonial seriously, particularly when in the last 20 minutes, an already slowed paced game is even slower with blokes in their 50's on the park!

Nice for Simmy to get a full house.

That is all you can really say about the "match" I'd say.

I mean, our back 4 finished with Irvine, Shaugnessy, Reynolds & Rougvie FFS!

Take your misery and spread it elsewhere sheepish.

We beat MAN U for fuck's sake!!!!!!!

I'm ecstatic :P

Just saying.... ;)

I've seen folk tearing into Langfield for the goal we lost, and the flip side, folk praising players for their performance.

Neither praise or criticism really needed for a testimonial was the point I was trying to make.

Just saying.... ;)

I've seen folk tearing into Langfield for the goal we lost, and the flip side, folk praising players for their performance.

Neither praise or criticism really needed for a testimonial was the point I was trying to make.

I agree.

Still, any credit we can get, we're taking.

I'm not really sure why folk take a testimonial seriously, particularly when in the last 20 minutes, an already slowed paced game is even slower with blokes in their 50's on the park!

Nice for Simmy to get a full house.

That is all you can really say about the "match" I'd say.

I mean, our back 4 finished with Irvine, Shaugnessy, Reynolds & Rougvie FFS!

Shaughnessy was taken off again and we finished up with Considine playing right back. Farcical indeed. The latter stages were horrid to watch with legends looking well out of depth. A half time legends match would have been far more fitting.

Was a good night for Simmy, shame he doesn't have the back op coming up as would have been good to see him on the pitch for a bit. Decent display too. The gloryhunting wasn't as bad as I expected, though still cringy when they scored and 50% of the stadium started clapping / cheering :itch-chin:

Willie Miller didn't look too chuffed sitting on his own in the Main Stand, with Milne a few rows down and to the right. Mcleish was sitting nearby too and also saw him outside the main entrance when I got there.

Zero atmosphere though for 99% of the game, quite amazing seeing Pittodrie packed but hardly a sound. Shame some people saw their big team lose :lolengland:

Enjoyed the game last night and glad we were able to win it to make it a night to remember for Simmy. I actually really enjoyed some of the football we played and thought there were a number of standout performers, despite the "slower" pace. Maybe surprisingly, I thought Chris Clark was superb. The Man U fans in the crowd also annoyed me but that's football in this day and age.

Good night out!

Enjoyed the game last night and glad we were able to win it to make it a night to remember for Simmy. I actually really enjoyed some of the football we played and thought there were a number of standout performers, despite the "slower" pace. Maybe surprisingly, I thought Chris Clark was superb. The Man U fans in the crowd also annoyed me but that's football in this day and age.

Good night out!

I personally thought Clark was breathing out his arse after 10 minutes then, bar 1 wee forage down the left hand side late in the first half, was almost totally anonymous

One young lad in our street on hearing the result said Aberdeen beat Man Utd i am going to support them.

Hope he sticks to his word unless his dad who is a tim tells him testimonials don't count.

Just goes to show how easily young kids can get influenced that's why its important to have all the Scottish premier teams on the telly and not just the old firm and man utd, arsenal etc etc