• 4 months later...

A proposed crackdown on bagpipes when Scotland play England at Wembley next month has been branded “astonishing” by a UK Government minister - who pledged to raise it with Coalition cabinet colleagues.

Europe Minister David Lidington told MSPs today that the Queen likes to be awoken by the bagpipes and quipped: “What’s good enough for the Queen ought to be good enough for the FA.”
There has been concerns that bagpipes would be banned for the revival of the historic fixture on August 14 to celebrate the FA’s 150th anniversary. This was denied by the FA, but they have warned any request to play them will have to go through “proper channels” - prompting concerns that fans could be charged.
Nationalist MSP Willie Coffey raised concerns that bagpipes would be “banned from Wembley stadium” when the minister appeared before the committee today.
“Could we ask you to use whatever influence you have to make sure that the English FA do not carry out that ban and that members of the Tartan army will be welcome to bring their bagpipes to Wembley to celebrate the occasion,” Mr Coffey asked the minister.
Mr Lidington said the row was “a completely new one” to him, but warned his influence over the FA is “limited in the extreme.”
“I’m astonished by what Mr Coffey is telling me,” he added.
“I’ve no idea what the rationale is - I’ll have a word with the sports minister in London about this.
“But my understanding is that Her Majesty the Queen likes to be awoken by bagpipes every morning - whether in Holyrood or Buckingham Palace. I’d have thought what’s good enough for the Queen ought to be good enough for the FA.”
The Scotland-England clash is the oldest in international football but has not been played since 1999.
The FA has only said it will listen to any specific requests from the “proper channels” on the playing of bagpipes and look to make provisions where possible. Bagpipes have been played at Wembley by Scotland fans since 1928, but the English football team moved to a new stadium in 2007.

Hopefully this can all be sorted so VDA can bring his bagpipes.

I'm heading down.

Got ticket, flight and hotel sorted, although I don't intend on being the hotel at all if I can manage it.

There must be all night bars in London Town.

Despite myself thinking the same, my mate has demanded we stay in a £200 a night hotel! Staying at a Hilton that I will hardly be in is no use! Sigh...

Despite myself thinking the same, my mate has demanded we stay in a £200 a night hotel! Staying at a Hilton that I will hardly be in is no use! Sigh...

£45 Premier Inn.

If I use it I use it.

Check in for these places is usually 1400, I arrive in London at 0930 with no luggage of any sort so I'll be fucked if I'm traipsing back to the hotel to check in.

Might check in at 2-3am maybe catch a couple of hours before the flight home.

As uch as I'd love to go and watch this fixture, no chance I'll be going as it will be full of fuds giving it big about the Argies and Maradona, most of these twats will be under the age of 30 and have no fucking idea about it but because it's against the English they'll bring it up.

Can just imagine all the fuds there going on about Maradona with the majority of them all being younger than 25 aswell, spastics.

you-already-said-that-shut-the-fuck-up-t

• Upvote 5

Have you watched England play recently?

SOTR predictions have been as bad as Boofoons lately so I'm chuffed he's backing the guffs :whistling:

They got a draw against Brazil, in Brazil, which was a terrific effort. They are also on course to qualify for the world cup finals. They are miles ahead of Scotland. If the English take the game seriously they will beat us by a few goals.

Agreed, I certainly won't be beating down SOTR's door for Wimbledon predictions next year after this year's performance.

Read them again, I said Novak Djokovic will win easily. Halfway through the tournament I still haven't changed my mind. Hold my hands up regarding Federer though, I thought he'd be there or thereabouts. He's the best grass court player ever.

Here's another prediction though... number 24 seed, Jerzy Janowicz to make the semi final!