Scotlands Roughest Pubs

Big Man

They turned the Tilted Wig back into a Rock bar.

Last time i went in for a pint after a match it was an absolute hell hole.

Juke box in there used to be amazing but it was switched off and all they had on was a tv with sky news on. Then a DJ came in and started playing some horrific dance music so we left. Said id never go back but if what your saying is true then might give it another go. The moorings used to be an ace rock bar but its not as welcoming these days for some reason.

Anyone remember what The Schooner used to be like?

I used to go there every Seterday morning for my "breakfast" :dancin:

I went there for a pint at 7am one fine morning having stepped off the ferry from Kirkwall.

That was an eye-opener, as a young naive loon from Orkney. blink.gif

Boundary Bar on Leith Walk? Heard tales of folk getting their hair cut at 5am by the bar staff. Never been in it myself.

middle of the day

man walking up the hill past normal folk

dead rat in his hand, all its guts hanging out

trying to give it to people walking by. then getting frustrated.

that's probably quite tame really.

any 24hr hostelrys in aberdeen,

edinburgh's got the penny black near the cafe royal, no really rough. the more colourful characters can be found at the kirkgate at the bottom of leith walk. the tam o shanter is my favourite, that's where the beautiful people drink.

aye been in the penny black many a time. opened at 4am wasnt it? not really rough as you say, but see some shapes in there.

didnt really drink in any rough pubs but usually lowered teh tone in edinburgh.

middle of the day

man walking up the hill past normal folk

dead rat in his hand, all its guts hanging out

trying to give it to people walking by. then getting frustrated.

that's probably quite tame really.

Reminds me of a friend of a friend who ended up on charges for 'brandishing a Seagull' in Aberdeen. Apparently he had just been walking down the street and came across this injured Seagull. He then showed it to a passer by and it pecked them on the nose.

So the story goes. I choose to believe that's how it happened.

Good stories so far :thumbup1:

Living in the Weeg, been in plenty rough houses. We always do an end of season subcrawl with the supporters club and you go in a few interesting gaffs down in Govan and south of the river. First year we ever done it, got off at Kinning Park and were walking towards what we knew was the biggest hun shit hole on the route. 10 or so dandies walking up to the door a bit nervous and this wasn't helped as we approached the door and some gut runs out with a burning newspaper. Get inside and there are guy in 'ra flute band' uniforms filling the place as it was 'marching season', had their wee kids in with them, who were banging the drums and shit. Only seat we could get was right under a big framed picture of Durrant. Anyway, only had to stay for one drink thankfully, but before we left we went in the bogs and someone held the door shut and we went to town with black marker pens :) Fair to say a very quick exit was made towards the underground after that.

Done the sub crawl last year, and we were in some shit hole pub, possibly the same one, and we walked in and there was a flute band in there, karaoke blasting out, half 1 in the afternoon. We're at the bar, and some big knuckle dragger stood next to us, and said "check this out" and rolled his sleeve up to show proudly a KKK tattoo all up his arm. Disgusting bar, area, and this just summed it up.

Done the sub crawl last year, and we were in some shit hole pub, possibly the same one, and we walked in and there was a flute band in there, karaoke blasting out, half 1 in the afternoon. We're at the bar, and some big knuckle dragger stood next to us, and said "check this out" and rolled his sleeve up to show proudly a KKK tattoo all up his arm. Disgusting bar, area, and this just summed it up.

Yeah will be the same place, on a corner with Paisley Road West, opposite the Grapes Bar. Was called the Doctors at that time, but now it's the Bellrock, cannae polish a turd anyway. First time we went, subcrawl was relatively new thing, so they weren't used to new faces. Now when you walk in these dumps, no one bats an eyelid as they're so used to big groups of randoms coming in now.

Me and the missus are up in Aberdeen for the night on Saturday, so will be taking her to the Belmont and Cheerz, sounds like a right laugh :P

I reckon you'd shit yourself in proper pubs Bluto, I reckon you're more at home in the Yates of the world, Sky Sports on the big screen, 4 bottles of Bud for a tenner and you drink them all yourself type place.

:laughing:

That's exactly how I picture Bluto! Mouthing off to all the locals about who Man United should sign in order to wrestle the title back from City. Regurgitating an argument, word for word, that he'd heard the previous week on SKY Sports...

... he pisses off everyone in the pub and the only thing stopping one of the locals from chinning him is an overwhelming sense of pity.

• Upvote 3

Me and mates used to go in the Belmont "for a laugh" on some days out. Seeing guys openly doing drugs in the bogs became a regular occurrence. Absolute shit hole of a place but we never got any hassle in there. Quality jukebox too if i remember right.

Im sure i seen the barmaids from the Belmont working in the Tilted Wig one night. Did they take over the wig ? Used to go to the wig years ago when it was a decent rock bar but it too is a fuckin horrific bar now.

East Neuk on King street is pritty fuckin raw too

East Nuek used to be a Hun hang oot when they were an SPL team playing up at Pittodrie

A wee treat compared to Granny Gibbs :thumbup1:

Granny Gibbs is my local, or at least it would be if I went there. Been twice since being down here, one night was superb, one was fucking dreadful!

The subcrawl is decent if you do it with decent folk and a good crowd of dandies! When you see middle class little student c*nts then it infuriates the hell out of me. Done it once, none of the pubs are really 'rough' or 'dodgy' or whatever, I'll drink in any bar. But when you see people with KKK tattoo's, it is time to leave. Not because I am scared, but because I find folk like that repulsive and don't want to share the same air as them. On top of that, they were all Huns, so that was it. Scum of the highest order!

Granny Gibbs is my local, or at least it would be if I went there. Been twice since being down here, one night was superb, one was fucking dreadful!

The subcrawl is decent if you do it with decent folk and a good crowd of dandies! When you see middle class little student c*nts then it infuriates the hell out of me. Done it once, none of the pubs are really 'rough' or 'dodgy' or whatever, I'll drink in any bar. But when you see people with KKK tattoo's, it is time to leave. Not because I am scared, but because I find folk like that repulsive and don't want to share the same air as them. On top of that, they were all Huns, so that was it. Scum of the highest order!

I was in GG's last week, ok for a couple but coz you aint a local you get stared at :laughing:

Much prefer the Partick pubs, especially when there's a hen doo on the sub crawl.