Aberdeen City Centre

daytripping

OK, why should the gardens in the centre of the city be unavailable for the elderly and disabled? There is no real access bar 2 old sets of stairs that are dangerous for those not sure of foot and impossible for people in wheelchairs etc to access.

Duthie Park... Might want to look into how that was done and who did the driving before using it as a comparison.

Its not about what UTG needs though its about what the city centre as a whole needs. It needs a complete revamp, a total upgrade and the CGP, whether you liked the design or not was the kick off for it all to happen. The money was there, Wood and the Scottish Government had set all that up, the will was there as the referendum showed. Now we have to go cap in hand to Westminster, they've already said no and the EU who will also say no.

Its all far too late now, nothing will ever happen and we'll be living in a city that will continue to fall to bits until the oil has gone and then it will end up looking like parts of Leeds or Newcastle. Left derelict and untouched just like a lot of hte buildings around the city centre are already. Why would anyone invest in buying one of the Union Street buildings, doing it up and try to attract business back when its just surrounded by shite?

Thats what the main danger was and thats what we'll now be left with. A council dithering about with a begging bowl trying to get money it knows it cant to do projects that will get as far as an artists impression before its canned due to lack of funds.

The final nail has been hammered into the coffin, Aberdeen will be left behind. Companies are already moving to Dundee, a couple of Subsea comps are heading down next year and their is talk of one of the operators moving as well. Why, because its a city on the up and will help attract people from the global work force to work for them. When I left Aberdeen a major part of the reason I ended up in Den Haag was because I liked the feel of the place. It was a sunny day, the centre of Den Haag looked beautiful, a mix of old and new done correctly. If I was a Londoner (for example) and had the choice between a job in Aberdeen or Den Haag (without knowing anything about either) and visited both I know for a fact where I'd choose. That is the danger of leaving this city to plebs like Barney, it will and is going backwards and we'll end up losing some of the companies that keep this city going when they can no longer attract the staff. We lose that, the rest we have goes with it.

newcastle is a beautiful city spammer min. one of the prettiest in the country. no surprise really given it was funded by industry; like all the great victorian metropolises.

now.

completely agree with what you say but.

given 50m why would you choose to spend it on UTG (the pretty part of the city) and not some horrible carbuncle buidling in the city centre instead?

no one denies the regeneration is needed.

Well, yes it is actually. One that would meet all the H&S reqs these days. Said ramp would take the whole grass verge to reach the first level. Wouldnt cost 100m but there wouldnt be any of this oh so precious grass people were clambering over themselves to protect.

a cable car, akin to saltburn's one would do nicely.

or a fancy modern equivalent.

Isn't UTG accessable from Lower Denburn Road anyway??

Not that I've ever seen. Cant say that could be possible either with the train line, the dueler bit and the Trinity Centre all in the way. Unless there's a wee passageway I dont know about?

newcastle is a beautiful city spammer min. one of the prettiest in the country. no surprise really given it was funded by industry; like all the great victorian metropolises.

now.

completely agree with what you say but.

given 50m why would you choose to spend it on UTG (the pretty part of the city) and not some horrible carbuncle buidling in the city centre instead?

no one denies the regeneration is needed.

I dont know where you get Newcastle being beautiful from bluts, I was there for a visit 3 or 4 years ago and while it has some nice parts to it for the most part all I saw was decay.

It was the start, the kick off. Not sure why you're asking the same questions again. No one will invest in Union St now because of several different reasons, the cost of rent and rates, the buildings are all in need of real repair and not just patch jobs, the chains have all moved to the centres because they are cheaper and have guaranteed footfall and apart from a couplr of lights being put in at the bridge at Markies and new pavements being put down about 10 years ago nothing has been done to give the place the care it needs. As I say, this was the starting point and while it wasnt my preferred design as far as I can see it was and until a couple of days ago is the only option Aberdeen has/had to drag its city centre back from the brink.

The Scottish Government wont just dish out the cash, they did set aside a TIF for this and for this alone but the council thought they knew best and could get the money for whatever they decided. They couldnt, thats that avenue gone.

Private money of up to £80m was also going to be given. Wood and his £50m and a group of others with another £20-30m, Wood also said he'd front any contingency needed as well. Add that to the TIF and there was the cash

Now our council say they can try get money from Westminster or Europe. Neither are viable options as Westminster have already said no as well and the EU dont fund home improvements in whats meant to be a country with a solid economy. If the government refusing to take EU money for food banks doesnt show that Westminster wont take hand outs from the EU nothing will and we'll need Westminster and/or Scottish Government assistance to get money from the EU, if there is any way of getting it that is.

The money is gone, the projects are closed Bluto. Now, as a lot of people predicted, we have nothing and no way forward.

That ^^^^^ is why this had to be done and had to be done with a real businessman running it. The only thing in this city that has turned that imaginary corner more than our football club is our councils regen plans and I now think that AFC will win a European Cup before ACC manage to do anything to improve and revamp our city.

Old is great, its got history and character attached but it needs to be cared for and added to, not like His Majesty's, thats a disgrace but something like this modern park in the heart of the city would've set the old building around it nicely. It would've given us a 21st century city which is amazing considering we're a 19th century shell these days.

Not that I've ever seen. Cant say that could be possible either with the train line, the dueler bit and the Trinity Centre all in the way. Unless there's a wee passageway I dont know about?

I dont know where you get Newcastle being beautiful from bluts, I was there for a visit 3 or 4 years ago and while it has some nice parts to it for the most part all I saw was decay.

It was the start, the kick off. Not sure why you're asking the same questions again. No one will invest in Union St now because of several different reasons, the cost of rent and rates, the buildings are all in need of real repair and not just patch jobs, the chains have all moved to the centres because they are cheaper and have guaranteed footfall and apart from a couplr of lights being put in at the bridge at Markies and new pavements being put down about 10 years ago nothing has been done to give the place the care it needs. As I say, this was the starting point and while it wasnt my preferred design as far as I can see it was and until a couple of days ago is the only option Aberdeen has/had to drag its city centre back from the brink.

The Scottish Government wont just dish out the cash, they did set aside a TIF for this and for this alone but the council thought they knew best and could get the money for whatever they decided. They couldnt, thats that avenue gone.

Private money of up to £80m was also going to be given. Wood and his £50m and a group of others with another £20-30m, Wood also said he'd front any contingency needed as well. Add that to the TIF and there was the cash

Now our council say they can try get money from Westminster or Europe. Neither are viable options as Westminster have already said no as well and the EU dont fund home improvements in whats meant to be a country with a solid economy. If the government refusing to take EU money for food banks doesnt show that Westminster wont take hand outs from the EU nothing will and we'll need Westminster and/or Scottish Government assistance to get money from the EU, if there is any way of getting it that is.

The money is gone, the projects are closed Bluto. Now, as a lot of people predicted, we have nothing and no way forward.

That ^^^^^ is why this had to be done and had to be done with a real businessman running it. The only thing in this city that has turned that imaginary corner more than our football club is our councils regen plans and I now think that AFC will win a European Cup before ACC manage to do anything to improve and revamp our city.

Old is great, its got history and character attached but it needs to be cared for and added to, not like His Majesty's, thats a disgrace but something like this modern park in the heart of the city would've set the old building around it nicely. It would've given us a 21st century city which is amazing considering we're a 19th century shell these days.

if thats true, then its shockin mismanagement.

still, its par fopr the course with councils though

Other side.

Through the Car park by the Theatre.

Everyone outside a 40 mile radius of Aberdeen City Centre should be banned from commenting on anything to do with us.

FUCKING FREE ABERDONIA YOU CUNTS!!!!!

FRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

I'd vote for you.

this simply isn't true. As stated previously, the Bell's Hotel, Bruce Millers, Capital Theatre, Waterstones, Athenaeum, Monkey House are ALL in the process of being developed, or have planning permission to be developed.

how does offices and rooms attract people back into the city centre T&P?

Someone mentioned earlier that they should allow some of the shops to be converted into flats, think it was discussed by the council a few years ago and they said no for some reason or maybe they said yes but none of the building owners went for it. Cant remember but it did mean they'd have to change the buildings purpose etc and pay for conversion. Its probably the only way to get that part of the centre bustling again though. Flats above and a small independent shop below, might even make them more in rent so they can cut the prices they charge the smaller shops, something just to get a bit of life back into the place and to shift a lot of the cash for golds. If not that then we wont have what most class as a city centre anymore, you know a big street with shops and shit. We'll have hotels and offices and all the shops in shopping centres.

how does offices and rooms attract people back into the city centre T&P?

Someone mentioned earlier that they should allow some of the shops to be converted into flats, think it was discussed by the council a few years ago and they said no for some reason or maybe they said yes but none of the building owners went for it. Cant remember but it did mean they'd have to change the buildings purpose etc and pay for conversion. Its probably the only way to get that part of the centre bustling again though. Flats above and a small independent shop below, might even make them more in rent so they can cut the prices they charge the smaller shops, something just to get a bit of life back into the place and to shift a lot of the cash for golds. If not that then we wont have what most class as a city centre anymore, you know a big street with shops and shit. We'll have hotels and offices and all the shops in shopping centres.

I think that's too negative an evaluation. Footfall is footfall afterall, and offices and residential create more people in the city centre, which has a knock on effect on other lines of business (catering etc in all it's forms) as well as using up decaying buildings. Noone wants to see the Bells Hotel in its current state or the Capital permanently closed down.

I think that's too negative an evaluation. Footfall is footfall afterall, and offices and residential create more people in the city centre, which has a knock on effect on other lines of business (catering etc in all it's forms) as well as using up decaying buildings. Noone wants to see the Bells Hotel in its current state or the Capital permanently closed down.

You are right, no one wants to see that but saying having the main street in the city just full of offices isnt negative at all IMO and the bells etc isnt really the part oif union st thats being discussed either, its Monkey house to Markies/snafu. The Holburn Street end has always been more banks, building society and up market shops etc but the main part, the part that is now full of pound shops, bookies and pawn shops is the part that needs real attention.

Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree on this one T&P. Not a bad thing considering we both want to see almost identical things in union st, its just how we get them and how its used we're disagreeing on.

You are right, no one wants to see that but saying having the main street in the city just full of offices isnt negative at all IMO and the bells etc isnt really the part oif union st thats being discussed either, its Monkey house to Markies/snafu. The Holburn Street end has always been more banks, building society and up market shops etc but the main part, the part that is now full of pound shops, bookies and pawn shops is the part that needs real attention.

Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree on this one T&P. Not a bad thing considering we both want to see almost identical things in union st, its just how we get them and how its used we're disagreeing on.

Spammer, the retail spine of Aberdeen has flipped 90 degrees from East-West (Union St) to North-South (Bon Accord StNicholas-Union Square) so that all we are left with on Union Street in a decent quality retail sense is indeed the portion you mention; Bridge Street to Market Street. The City were quite far down the line of pedestrianising this stretch ten years ago but got cold feet at the last minute (sound familiar?). But that in itself isn't the answer.

If you want to get the core right, you've got to get the edges of the core right as well. At present, the edges are really low quality for a city of Aberdeen's affluence. You have low quality housing and office space, under-utilised shops with high business rates and some bars and restaurants that seem to change hands on an almost annual basis.

As said, the centre doesn't reflect the city's affluence and when you consider that Aberdeen is woefully short on hotel space, city centre office space and high-quality apartment-style housing, it is fairly obvious that these are the types of uses that you need bleeding in from the periphery of a city centre to help support and sustain the core itself. Having residential and hotel space would help to increase the prospect of 24-hour use - at present everything is dead at 5.30. With the further footfall coming in from the edges, retailers get more confidence and the central core of Union Street can begin to regenerate itself.

The examples that T&P give shows that the investment is there, and while some of it is controversial, it is the right thing to do. Having more high-density employment space in the centre can help to mend the broken and expensive public transport system that Aberdeen has. It might prove to be the impetus for more spending on suburban/commuter rail links.

The problem with the units on the southern side of the "central" part of Union Street is that they are all huge in that they all have at least 3 storeys below street level. It's worth bearing in mind that Union Street is a bridge. Most of this floor space is useless other than for storage.

It'd be interesting to see what happens at Union Square in 4 or 5 years time when rents are up for renewal. M&S & Next were given massive incentives to open stores there as anchor tenants and others were offered reduced terms. Notice that their flagship stores in the city remain where they were before Union Square.

Much as I'm not overly impressed with the planned office developments at Triple Kirks and Marischal Square, the city centre definitely needs more office space which would bring in more weekly daytime spending and help with it's regeneration. If the company I work for were to move I'd encourage them to look for properties near the centre of town. I'm sick of working in souless business parks and industrial estates on the outskirts of the city where your only choice of catering is a burger van, some shoppie that's miles away or a crappy in-house canteen.

The short sightedness of years ago when they closed so many stations

and ripped up the tracks is coming back to show how stupid it was.

The Buchan line would be great for commuters, i loved getting the train

up to Cullen.

A station at Bucksburn would be great too.

Completely agree with the Bucksburn station point. It is one of the best areas in Aberdeen and deserves to have quick access to the city centre as it is on the outskirts. For the same reasons I'd say that there needs to be a station in Dyce too.

Last week the council turned down £50 Million pounds towards the redevelopment, now they expect Scotrail to pay for a new station a couple hundreds yards from the existing one.

It isn't going to happen.

If they'd just went with the referendum result we'd have got the redevelopment with private funds and a TIF, it wouldn't have cost the people of Aberdeen a bean.

You couldn't fucking write this shite. It's like a bastard pantomime! There should be rail links to Dyce, Portlethen and Stonehaven, Banchory, Cults etc. like in the comments but why we need a new station in the city centre to replace the station in the city centre I'll never know.

• 1 month later...

Plans to convert one of Scotland's busiest high streets into a state-of-the-art shopping centre were revealed on Monday.
The bold blueprint, designed by Scots architect John Halliday, will see a clear "umbrella" canopy cover Union Street in Aberdeen and will light-up at night.
The architect's scheme to boost trade and footfall in the city centre has been warmly received by all political parties who have squabbled for years over the doomed Union Terrace Gardens proposal by oil tycoon Sir Ian Wood.
Mr Halliday said: "If you do it right, Union Street becomes thriving, a big avenue for shops and restaurants - there is no question whatsoever in my mind because it would be covered.
"It would be an exciting place to walk down and to enjoy yourself. Business would naturally spill out, benefiting the west end of Union Street and also the Green area - the market will dictate that."
He confirmed the plans have not been costed but stated that private-sector involvement could limit any financial burden on the council and city ratepayers.
An Aberdeen City Council fund of £20m solely for revamping the city centre, is also free to dip into.
The striking design includes lifts and escalators to provide a pedestrian link between shopping centres Union Square, Trinity Centre, Bon Accord Centre and St Nicholas Centre.
Mr Halliday, who has already contacted local authority chiefs about his latest proposals, wants to move the entrance to the train station to the corner of Union Street.
And he has suggested turning the city centre into a no-go zone for cars and taxis, with taxis allowed to travel down it at 10mph.
He said: "This is entirely possible - the commercial aspect is a no-brainer. It also affects very little. There would be no need for big feasibility studies that take two years."
"We can sometimes think too small in Aberdeen. Let's get on with this. The transformational plans are likely to stir up debate over the city centre's future, following the drama surrounding the renovation of Union Terrace gardens.
Last August, the £140m regeneration plan for Union Terrace gardens was thrown out after years of arguments between political factions.

220951-artists-impression-of-union-stree
220954-artists-impression-of-plans-for-u
220953-artists-impression-of-plans-for-u
220952-artists-impression-of-plans-for-u
220956-artists-impression-for-plans-for-
  • Upvote 2

I love Halliday's work

You can use it so often when looking for examples of "good thought - totally impracticable"

The amount of cost about work required to put something like that in place is as daft as moving the railway station to union terrace garden

Some nice looking pictures that say look at me I'm a great designer and can draw wonderful things that no one in their right mind would even consider

Just how many 0's do you reckon would be behind the number 1 to have enough money to pay for this ridiculous concept