Aberdeen City Centre

daytripping

aye, its hardly cutting edge thinking.

sure. life has moved on from the glorius 1950s but an old tradional style city centre would aberdeen apart.

boutique shops etc on a normal thoruoughfare.

might even get people visiting for the shopping day experience a la old trafford nou camp etc.

Shopping centres seem to be the way things are these days. I've got no real problem with them, especially given the state the council have let have let union street is get into, it needs a hell of a tidy up and is a far bigger problem in the city centre for me anyway.

Are the shopping centres owned by the council or private investors? Is this why they are getting money thrown at it and union street isn't?

• 4 weeks later...

I believe he was Canadian, was awful at the pipes but fair play to him for carrying on in all weathers.

Aye he was! Fair bit of gusto to do it in the pissing rain and hail but fuck me, how would he like it if I went to Canada, picked up a moose and started butchering his national anthem on it? Absolutely terribly noise.

Shame if the gadgie's deid right enough.

I thought the dolphins had been covered in its own topic but can't find it so I'll post this here.

Gareth Wood spends £89K on 4 of them. :wtf:

How great would (nae pun intended) it be to have that kind of money to spend of an evening, buys one for £55k for his mum. Fair play to the guy, donated one to the kids hospital and all that cash goes to charity, well done him.

The other 48 raised over half a million quid, an average of £10k each, I honestly thought they'd go for a few hundred each.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did anyone go and see the exhibition of the plans for "Marischal Square" at the weekend?

INITIAL works are to begin before the turn of the year on the £107 million Marischal Square project in Aberdeen, after councillors gave it the go-ahead.

Councillors voted 23-18 in favour of approving the plans during a full Aberdeen City Council meeting.
The plans, designed by Muse Developments, would transform the old St Nicholas House site into a hotel, office and retail complex.
Stephen Turner, Muse Developments’ regional director for Scotland, said: “We will be doing enabling works this side of Christmas.
“It will take two years to build with a completion date of February 2017.”
Council leader Jenny Laing said: “The council has made the correct decision. I think it’s important that we regenerate the site.”
Liberal Democrat councillor Jennifer Stewart put forward an amendment to refuse planning permission, which was defeated.

I've no objection to building something there but I wasn't impressed with the plans. On paper it looks an ugly building, little more than St.Nicholas House II. Guess we'll have to wait a couple of years until its complete to give a final judgement.

Can't wait to see what ideas our town planners have for dealing with changes to inner city traffic flows which will result from closing off Broad Street. They'll probably give it to the same genious who designed the changes to Market Street and surrounding area to accommodate Union Square and the new bus station.

I've no objection to building something there but I wasn't impressed with the plans. On paper it looks an ugly building, little more than St.Nicholas House II. Guess we'll have to wait a couple of years until its complete to give a final judgement.

Can't wait to see what ideas our town planners have for dealing with changes to inner city traffic flows which will result from closing off Broad Street. They'll probably give it to the same genious who designed the changes to Market Street and surrounding area to accommodate Union Square and the new bus station.

I believe that the plans to pedestrianise Broad Street aren't in the plans that are now going forward. I had the same feelings you did seeing the concept pictures - St Nicholas House MKII, why do they feel the need to hide something like Provost Skene's House from public view as much as possible is beyond me.