Aberdeen City Centre

daytripping

Nae city centre but I see the council also voted to flatten Victoria Road school in Torry. Shame, it's a nice old granite building and would probably have sold for redevlopment if it was in the west end but it's in Torry and a developer would never have been able to make back the redevelopment costs.

Causewayend School is up for sale if anyone fancies it.. http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/nmsruntime/saveasdialog.asp?lID=39300&sID=19006

I believe that the plans to pedestrianise Broad Street aren't in the plans that are now going forward. I had the same feelings you did seeing the concept pictures - St Nicholas House MKII, why do they feel the need to hide something like Provost Skene's House from public view as much as possible is beyond me.

Interesting they're not pedestrianising Broad Street, I thought it was part of the plans.

Povest Skene's House is awesome right now that you can see it all clearly. Now they're about to surround it with office blocks twice the height. I don't see how this constitutes some kind of public square. After all the talk of a civic square in UTG it was just how they decided to package it in a way the public might accept it.

I believe that the plans to pedestrianise Broad Street aren't in the plans that are now going forward. I had the same feelings you did seeing the concept pictures - St Nicholas House MKII, why do they feel the need to hide something like Provost Skene's House from public view as much as possible is beyond me.

provost.house.2.jpg

Is it really that bonnie though? Fuck tons better than St Nicholas House and stunning inside, but from the outside it just looks average. There's some much better looking buildings around and some of the detailing at the Castlegate is stunning, certainly more ornate than this anyway.

provost.house.2.jpg

Is it really that bonnie though? Fuck tons better than St Nicholas House and stunning inside, but from the outside it just looks average. There's some much better looking buildings around and some of the detailing at the Castlegate is stunning, certainly more ornate than this anyway.

You'll find pudgie that many buildings of that age lack the grandeur of later period Georgian and Victorian buildings due to period fashions and wealth.

The beauty is of course in the age and history of the building and for Aberdeen there aren't enough of them; so this one should be preserved for what it is

• Upvote 8

From what I've read it is, they just dont need planning permission to do it so removed it from the discussions to get what they wanted.

If its not part of the planning application, it isnt discussed. As planning permission isnt needed to close a road they removed it and with that removed the option to object to it.

It will still be pedestrianised and the road will still be closed.

• Upvote 1

You'll find pudgie that many buildings of that age lack the grandeur of later period Georgian and Victorian buildings due to period fashions and wealth.

The beauty is of course in the age and history of the building and for Aberdeen there aren't enough of them; so this one should be preserved for what it is

I've just never understood the appeal of a building that's quality is, "aye, it's nae that bonnie, but it's auld!". I'm not a great lover of architecture but I'd like to think that I can appreciate something special and I just don't see PSH in such a light.

I can't actually see any of the plans that include it but if it's in an open space where the outside of the building is still visible then it's the best of both worlds in my eyes. Although I've only been in once or twice, inside is where the real beauty is anyway.

• Upvote 1

This is one development too many, imo will flop, no matter how hard the council try and push it this isn't the heart of the City and the transport links to it are crap. If they'd listened to the people we could have had the new City garden well under way by now and that hole in the ground that is UTG would be getting filled in, that would have led to regeneration around it, this won't.

And you can get a donkey ride on the beach, champion.

Bet rumpus has had a few donkey rides eh

Haven't been on a donkey ever, but have had sex below the Central Pier. With a girl.

Any more stupid assumptions, I will hunt you down and won't stop kicking your ugly face until you're lifeless.

• Upvote 1

provost.house.2.jpg

Jesus Christ. :clangers2:

• Upvote 1

You've asked for a model of something before. Was it the same thing?

Don't remember, but it probably was.

I know you get the wee Scottish Castles and famous landmarks ornamental thingies, but haven't seen a Provost Skene House.

I've been told they did exist at one time, but I've never seen one.