Aberdeen City Centre

daytripping

It looks quality with Marshall College behind it.

Indeed.

Itis almost 500 years old . some nice cafe's out door bars and a garden would be perfect instead of another glass concrete monstosity that will look outdated in 20 years time

Exactly.Would also have been nice to have a big square there.

Think of all the beautiful squares across Europe. We don't have anything remotely resembling. :clangers2:

We could have that big square, two marvellous historical buildings either side...

...few wee licensed cafe/restaurants at the other sides...seats oot side for the "summer" months...fountain/sculpture/statue fitiver in middle.

Instead we get a vile wart of a building as a barrier between the two historical sites, blocking their views from countless angles. :suicide:

I don't suppose open space make them any cash though as opposed to this retail/office development which no doubt will.

Fuck you ACC.

Fucking backward, ignorant, self-serving fuckpigs. :angry2:

• Upvote 5

Some cities are good at progressive shit mutton min. Some aren't.

I reckon it comes from a requirement or a need to modernise diversify etc.

Look at the once maligned industrial cities of england now some of Europe finest.

An example closer to me is post ww2 Rotterdam.

Aberdeen winna change until it really has to sadly.

Look at the once maligned industrial cities of england now some of Europe finest.

Ok, I will take the bait. What fucking cities in England are amongst Europes finest?! [emoji23]

True dat.

You go to some cities in England expecting to find a right shithole.

They normally turn out to be remarkably nicer than anticipated.

Closer to home, Dundee is miles ahead of our city centre.

Indeed.

Exactly.Would also have been nice to have a big square there.

Think of all the beautiful squares across Europe. We don't have anything remotely resembling. :clangers2:

We could have that big square, two marvellous historical buildings either side...

...few wee licensed cafe/restaurants at the other sides...seats oot side for the "summer" months...fountain/sculpture/statue fitiver in middle.

Instead we get a vile wart of a building as a barrier between the two historical sites, blocking their views from countless angles. :suicide:

I don't suppose open space make them any cash though as opposed to this retail/office development which no doubt will.

Fuck you ACC.

Fucking backward, ignorant, self-serving fuckpigs. :angry2:

True dat too.

Fucking disgrace.

Nae city centre but I see the council also voted to flatten Victoria Road school in Torry. Shame, it's a nice old granite building and would probably have sold for redevlopment if it was in the west end but it's in Torry and a developer would never have been able to make back the redevelopment costs.

Causewayend School is up for sale if anyone fancies it.. http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/nmsruntime/saveasdialog.asp?lID=39300&sID=19006

apparently ear marked for student flats

Agree with the comments about the lack of a decent square in aberdeen with cafes etc but we do actually potentially have that, castlegate. It's just that our council see fit to use that space for charity shops, newsagents, bookies and wineos. If that was completely revamped, rezoned for cafes etc we would have a ready made square. It'll never happen though, our council have neglected the city centre for years and nothing will change.

Agree with the comments about the lack of a decent square in aberdeen with cafes etc but we do actually potentially have that, castlegate. It's just that our council see fit to use that space for charity shops, newsagents, bookies and wineos. If that was completely revamped, rezoned for cafes etc we would have a ready made square. It'll never happen though, our council have neglected the city centre for years and nothing will change.

Or UTG?

That cunt of a website can get te fuck. Self entitled pricks getting their ego inflated by being able to say "3000 people support my opinion" and expecting that to mean something. There's nothing to say how many people have a differing opinion and it could be 10 or 10,000. They keep emailing me (and I could unsubscribe, but I like seeing the idiotic things campaigned against) with their shitey petitions and expecting me to give a fuck about there being no women inventors faces on bank notes.

Change.org, fuck off!

That cunt of a website can get te fuck. Self entitled pricks getting their ego inflated by being able to say "3000 people support my opinion" and expecting that to mean something. There's nothing to say how many people have a differing opinion and it could be 10 or 10,000. They keep emailing me (and I could unsubscribe, but I like seeing the idiotic things campaigned against) with their shitey petitions and expecting me to give a fuck about there being no women inventors faces on bank notes.

Change.org, fuck off!

Indeed.

Did one petition, but get crap suggesting I sign other petitions on an almost daily basis.

They must think it's habit forming or something...

You'll find pudgie that many buildings of that age lack the grandeur of later period Georgian and Victorian buildings due to period fashions and wealth.

The beauty is of course in the age and history of the building and for Aberdeen there aren't enough of them; so this one should be preserved for what it is

Beautifully written.

I genuinely feel you could do a Channel4 programme on such subject.

You could sign off each programme with a beer of the show.

Apart from the misuse of a semicolon... which Bluto still doesn't understand, despite being pulled up for it numerous times.