Aberdeen City Centre

daytripping

17 minutes ago, Misers Hill said:

Yip,heard fae the Brig🎱 boys,the boy was losing money hand over fist,did a the Ranjurs.....walked away👽

@dazzy_deff

The Brig Inn are now playing oot o Rileys 🎱👍

Had many a good time in there.....long time ago now like. Moved over to the DV (also rip) as my local (wasn't so local for a long time) then oot of BOD altogether 16 year ago 

A real shame. 

• 1 month later...

The council made life difficult for them at every opportunity - even once had a clipboard sort with a ladder round saying that the overhead sign protruded out too much from the wall. 

council would rather have chains in than independent places for some relatively secure income.

Worth checking out Moonfish cafe on that street, next time you’re up Hanzo. Good food in yon 

1 hour ago, Poodler said:

Haigs off to the great gig in the sky. 

some decent food in there.

Red Robin Records on its last legs aswell.

at least you’ll still have Starbucks and Costa 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

At least Haigs are carrying on their mobile shop but by fuck the council are making it tough for businesses.

8 hours ago, Poodler said:

Haigs off to the great gig in the sky. 

some decent food in there.

Red Robin Records on its last legs aswell.

at least you’ll still have Starbucks and Costa 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Gofundme set up. Fit an affront. 

6 hours ago, Tommy said:

At least Haigs are carrying on their mobile shop but by fuck the council are making it tough for businesses.

Haigs potentially the architect of their own downfall. Massively undercut most other butchers which im sure they could have increased the costs on. Almost cut their nose off to spite their fact with the mobile van also - who's going to trail into town to visit their shop when they can catch the van once a week. In my opinion, tried to expand too quickly and have a finger in every pie so to speak. 

8 hours ago, Poodler said:

The council made life difficult for them at every opportunity - even once had a clipboard sort with a ladder round saying that the overhead sign protruded out too much from the wall. 

council would rather have chains in than independent places for some relatively secure income.

Worth checking out Moonfish cafe on that street, next time you’re up Hanzo. Good food in yon 

Glad to hear it's still good. Was my favourite place in the town when I lived there. 

• Site Sponsor
1 hour ago, dazzy_deff said:

Gofundme set up. Fit an affront. 

Correct.

I don’t get this gofundmyfuckup nonsense. 

Someone can’t run a business but expects Joe Public to cough up cash to keep it afloat?

If its failing now, it’ll inevitably fail in another few months anyway.

• Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, Dom Sullivan said:

Correct.

I don’t get this gofundmyfuckup nonsense. 

Someone can’t run a business but expects Joe Public to cough up cash to keep it afloat?

If its failing now, it’ll inevitably fail in another few months anyway.

It’s bold to be asking for cash and offering nothing back. 

11 hours ago, Tommy said:

Very true, Tommy.

It used to be an incentive for an entrepreneur to set up an independent business in Aberdeen as well as the Shire by way of getting SBR (Small Business Relief) for their Business Rates from the Council, providing the company applied for it. 

For example, if the premises of the business was of a similar size in footage to Lush on Union Street, they would qualify for SBR meaning they would either be exempt from paying business rates for at least one financial year, or would receive a sizeable discount off their annual rates.

The respective administrations of both the City and Shire have absolutely crucified the high streets of the north-east of Scotland with their approach of wishing to attract mainstream chains rather than encouraging the growth of independent businesses. 

Very seldom an independent will qualify for any SBR at all nowadays. The colossal misappropriation over the years of public funds by the leaders and directors of the councils have put paid to that.

The cream at the top of each Council's hierarchies aren't giving two fucks though. As long as they keep receiving their obscene 6 figure salaries for doing next to fuck all, they couldn't care less.

• Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Very true, Tommy.

It used to be an incentive for an entrepreneur to set up an independent business in Aberdeen as well as the Shire by way of getting SBR (Small Business Relief) for their Business Rates from the Council, providing the company applied for it. 

For example, if the premises of the business was of a similar size in footage to Lush on Union Street, they would qualify for SBR meaning they would either be exempt from paying business rates for at least one financial year, or would receive a sizeable discount off their annual rates.

The respective administrations of both the City and Shire have absolutely crucified the high streets of the north-east of Scotland with their approach of wishing to attract mainstream chains rather than encouraging the growth of independent businesses. 

Very seldom an independent will qualify for any SBR at all nowadays. The colossal misappropriation over the years of public funds by the leaders and directors of the councils have put paid to that.

The cream at the top of each Council's hierarchies aren't giving two fucks though. As long as they keep receiving their obscene 6 figure salaries for doing next to fuck all, they couldn't care less.

You should do your research better because that’s a lot of shite. 

1 minute ago, Redforever86 said:

Small Business Bonus Relief still available with a 25% discount.

2 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

^ This bit isn't shite though.

14 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

Thanks for your constructive criticism, RF. I'll take it on board and embed it in my brain for future reference.👍

With all due respect, I did once upon a time work in a CTAX/BR Office for six years, and whilst year on year rates may change (or not at all) and there are variations of provisions incorporated into existing law relating to both CTAX ad BR, the crux of what I said was based on fact. 😉

1 minute ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Thanks for your constructive criticism, RF. I'll take it on board and embed it in my brain for future reference.👍

With all due respect, I did once upon a time work in a CTAX/BR Office for six years, and whilst year on year rates may change (or not at all) and there are variations of provisions incorporated into existing law relating to both CTAX ad BR, the crux of what I said was based on fact. 😉

Year on year rates will never change, as they aren’t revised yearly. 

Stop talking shite. 

1 minute ago, Redforever86 said:

Year on year rates will never change, as they aren’t revised yearly. 

Stop talking shite. 

So if your business happens to be successful and you wish to extend the size of your premises in terms of its footage and it gets reassessed as being a medium-sized enterprise by your regional Assessors Office after the extension works have been completed and signed off (having been registered as a small business beforehand), the BR wouldn't increase?

Interesting logic and rationale.🤔

8 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

So if your business happens to be successful and you wish to extend the size of your premises in terms of its footage and it gets reassessed as being a medium-sized enterprise by your regional Assessors Office after the extension works have been completed and signed off (having been registered as a small business beforehand), the BR wouldn't increase?

Interesting logic and rationale.🤔

Not that year it wouldn’t. That isn’t a change in the rates it’s a change in a single property’s value due to a physical change. Thanks for trying to weasel your way out with a very rare circumstance and still being wrong. 

Just now, Redforever86 said:

Not that year it wouldn’t. That isn’t a change in the rates it’s a change in a single property’s value due to a physical change. Thanks for trying to weasel your way out with a very rare circumstance and still being wrong. 

I may be a number of things but I'm certainly not a weasel.

Did I insinuate an increase of a business property's value, after reassessment, would immediately mean an increase of its BR? No, as that is not how it works, whether it be a commercial, industrial, or domestic property. The change/increase in rates would be applicable from the 1st of April the following year after reassessment.

You've managed inadvertently to contradict yourself in the second sentence.

You are simply on a mission to criticise and make on I'm wrong for the sake of it. 

Now, go fuck yourself.👍

Just now, Redforever86 said:

And anyone can all go and look up the facts to try and save their argument, and to look like they know what they are talking about.

Try doing it before you initially spout pish next time. 

If this was the case there would like 2 threads on the HAT with one being "Is Redforever86 a FUD" which would, in fact, be factual.