New Car Chat

fine-n-dandy

Mrs has come to the end of her current deal on her Audi A1 and is looking at a new motor a Honda Civic SE plus, has anyone on here got one or know anything about it, any good??

Also, are the extras worth the money:

Autoglym Lifeshine: £300 - They have told her that if she disna get this done whilst car is in showroom she'll have to get her paintwork decontaminated first before anyone else can apply the stuff, is this true??

Gap insurance £299

Rubber boot lining: £150

Service plan: £555

She says they are nae keen on giving her anything for free, price is what it is kinda offer.

My thoughts are that you can get everything cheaper yourself apart from maybe the service plan.

Cheers

Is this coming from MacRae & Dick Honda? If so, their predecessors, Aberdeen Honda and Town & County Honda have really struggled in Aberdeen and it could be they're being really pushy with the add-ons. Honda seems to do well everywhere else in the UK but Aberdonians are notoriously loyal to German motors; any time I've ever been in John Clark (I had a mini cooper s) for example it's always been stowed out. Go for a diesel if you can afford it, the new DTec engines are excellent, the V-Tec petrol ones are still quite revvy, you might get 45mpg out of a 1.4, 40 at a push in a 1.8. The 1.4 is still a very good value car, especially if it's mainly to be used in around town, can buy new for £14k, the 1.8 is what - £17k?

I have two Hondas, an Accord Tourer D-tec and a Civic Type S (2004 model), previously having owned a Civic Sport and an Accord EX, none of them bought from Aberdeen. The servicing deal is a no-brainer, take it. Unfortunately I wasn't offered it when I got my Accord earlier this year, maybe as it was an ex-demo, but I was offered the gap insurance but didn't take it as I got £10k off the list price anyway. I recently purchased a 3-yr service plan from M&D Honda for £660 which isn't a massive saving at all, so take out the £555 one if you still can.

We have a 2013 Honda Civic EX 1.6 diesel and its a cracking wee car. Main reason we bought it was for the MPG which for us living in the shire is outstanding. We are getting 60 to 65 mpg easy. It's also £0 for road tax which is a plus. One thing i will say is reversing can be a bit of a pain due to the way the rear windscreen sits. if you can afford to upgrade to a model with the rear facing camera then do so or at the very least get one with rear sensors. Our model has the camera and front and rear sensors and they are really handy.

We were considering a 1.6 Diesel to replace our Type S, maybe not the EX as the suspension on the EX models are really soft. The 1.6 in the previous model was really sluggish and noisy but I'm led to believe this new one is really torquey. The rear camera is handy, I have one in the Accord - my wife ignored the sensors on my last one (Accord EX) with the inevitable consequences...

My new 3 Series turned up last week, lovely car, first time I've had a new one. The three month wait was a killer though!

When I was deciding on what to go for I went for a number of test drives, and took an Audi A4 out a couple of times. Almost went for the Audi, but eventually settled on the 3 series. Not much in it tbh. Funnily enough, the Audi guy never followed up with me after the A4 test drives. Found out why when I picked up the BMW last week - the Audi guy works at BMW now. He told me I made the right choice having worked at both.... but then I guess he would say that now!

Should have gone for the Ford Kuga Titanium...you'd have saved a packet and had a better car

I did look into it and it came a close 2nd. I'd agree that for the mid range models i'd get more for my money with the Kuga - but I did compare a similar spec to the car I bought with the and the Kuga Titanium X sport (with extras to match) works out more expensive by £275!

I did get a £1500 dealer discount at Audi though, could probably have got something similar at Ford.

With a strong resale value and a 60bhp more power I'm happy with my choice.

I'm strongly tempted to get a Mustang.

Always wanted one.

Be careful KSL...these beasts look the nuts from the outside but the interior can often let them down (this is the place you will spend most time in)...they are usually decked out in plastics not even a Chinaman would put his name to...
  • 7 months later...

I'm not sure what boofon is getting at.

I had a Jamie Langfield style seizure a few years ago. Brain freeze.

Whether you like it or not, your licence gets medically suspended for a period of time after that, until you can prove that you are not going to go all feel again.

This happened ages ago but boofon appears to still think it's valid, even though I've told him otherwise a few times.

I'm not sure what boofon is getting at.

Whether you like it or not, your licence gets medically suspended for a period of time after that, until you can prove that you are not going to go all feel again.

This happened ages ago but boofon appears to still think it's valid, even though I've told him otherwise a few times.

I wasn't getting at anything like that. I just thought you didn't drive anymore.

Hope you are alright now and no repeats of the brain freeze, my good man.

Must be a pain to have ytour license medically suspended but its understandable why they err on the side of caution.

Hope you are alright now and no repeats of the brain freeze, my good man.

Must be a pain to have ytour license medically suspended but its understandable why they err on the side of caution.

Fine now min cheers, was my own fault anyway so I'm not looking for any sympathy or anything.

I always wince when I hear folk making a fuss about this on Clangers behalf.

It was nothing really, over in seconds, blood on the brain or something, had a CT scan afterwards and was tickety boo so I'm not bothered about it at all.