Fraser Signs for Bournemouth

Don't believe that his agent's sole interest is how much money he can get given he's a representing a larger agency. Anyway, better training facilities = better player = more money; if you want to apply your logic.

I think the idea that Bournemouth are paying him megabucks is ludicrous.

Knew you were going to say that.

If he does develop into a much better player, then it'll probably be money that the current agant will not see.

Point is, an agent wouldn't look at it like you or I.

They want the fast buck. End of.

There's no guarantee that his current agent will be there in x amount of years.

If he does actually hit the big time, he certainly will have moved on from his current non-entity ball bag of a representative.

Just to clear up a few points made on here.....

He probably is on ridiculous money. Our wage bill is huge, and our top earners are on well over 10k a week. If you want an example of how much we are spunking money all over the place at the moment, you only have to look at fee and wages we paid to have Lee Barnard on a 6 month loan at the start of this season. 200k loan fee plus 12k a week in wages. We signed a couple of dutch lads in the summer (Demouge from NAC Breda and Lorenzo Davids from some Bundesliga team) who are together supposedly costing us almost 20k a week whilst they rot in the reserves. Great investment hey. So those suggesting he has 'come for the money' might have some foundation for their argument.

AFCB are currently not the club we have been for the past 100 years. The money being invested is serious, Denim (our Russian owner) lives in Bournemouth and watched us for several years before investing in the club. Could it all go tits up? Of course it could, and theres probably a very good chance it will. However, theres also a very good chance that we are the new Swansea, Wigan, Blackpool, Reading etc. As someone who has watched us float between Division Two (sorry, League One) and Division Three whilst hating the PremierPLC clubs for their greed, I am not actually sure I am too keen on becoming that. Who really wants to go to Old Trafford every year hoping to keep the score under 4. But theres F all I can do about it so I might as well enjoy the ride.

I imagine that unless you keep a keen eye on the English lower leagues then you will probably view us as no different to the Walsalls, Scunthorpes, Carlisles of this world. A few years a go you would have been right. These days we are very different and most of those clubs despise us for our money and our squad. We have the largest in the league and our two strikers alone are probably on more than the entire Yeovil squad. We are now regularly beating Championship clubs to the signing of players (make of that what you will).

The standard of our squad is very good. I have a basic knowledge of Scottish football and I am not going to pretend to know it as well as you, but I think we would give you a very good run for your money. 5 years ago would have hammered us, but you've got to admit that Scottish football has only gone one way since. I havent checked this so correct me if I am wrong, but I believe your squad currently contains Scott Vernon, Rory Fallon, Isaac Osbourne to name a few. All of which have been discarded by League One/Two teams over recent years and would get no-where near our first team squad.

Whilst I am surprised he has chosen us, I don't necessarily think its a bad move. We play football the right way, have a new 500k training facility next to the ground (which is having a new stand built in the summer), and have a great chance of promotion. We have been crying out for a winger since we sold Feeney to Millwall a couple of years back, so I imagine he will get games. Something that would not happen if he were to go to Swansea/Wigan etc.

One final point.....do you really think young Fraser gives a **** about the history of both clubs? Your still currently a far bigger club than us, but surely for a promising 18 year old, potential is everything? And in terms of potential, there really arent many clubs around with more than us at the moment.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Hi Joe, welcome to the forum.

I loved watching you fight in the 1970s, somewhat surprised to see you make a comeback on AFChat, would have thought your return from the grave would have been higher profile.

All the best.

PS any relation to young Ryan?

Apologies for the late reply, as far as I am aware no close relation, my father was from the Inverness area. Anyway, now the deal is done and dusted can I talk Aberdeen? Fit the fu has gone wrong? Fergie left and it appears to have gone downhill from then. You were getting decent crowds, was it just bad management from Fergies replacements?

Also any news on a new stadium, I saw you were looking to move away from Pittodrie to a new site?

The standard of our squad is very good. I have a basic knowledge of Scottish football and I am not going to pretend to know it as well as you, but I think we would give you a very good run for your money. 5 years ago would have hammered us, but you've got to admit that Scottish football has only gone one way since. I havent checked this so correct me if I am wrong, but I believe your squad currently contains Scott Vernon, Rory Fallon, Isaac Osbourne to name a few. All of which have been discarded by League One/Two teams over recent years and would get no-where near our first team squad.

Fallon rarely plays for us, Osbourne played over 100 games in the Championship before being released and Vernon is a very poor player technically but benefited from some good service.

Let's not compare our lesser players to your first team.

We also can't forget players that flopped up here and succeeded in League One e.g Clayton Donaldson, Jamie McAllister, Gary McKenzie etc

EDIT: Good luck with the rest of your season. Also, I had the misfortune of seeing one or two League One games last year when in England, I hope you play a better standard of football than what I saw.

• Upvote 1

Apologies for the late reply, as far as I am aware no close relation, my father was from the Inverness area. Anyway, now the deal is done and dusted can I talk Aberdeen? Fit the fu has gone wrong? Fergie left and it appears to have gone downhill from then. You were getting decent crowds, was it just bad management from Fergies replacements?

Also any news on a new stadium, I saw you were looking to move away from Pittodrie to a new site?

There's more money on offer elsewhere, so we get left with the lesser players.

Ta-Da.

Sensible post this. Speaking as a Bournemouth fan, I also have a great affinity with Aberdeen, my parents having moved back to Cults in the late seventies. Many a time spent in the beach end watching Harper, Graham etc., then the start of the Fergie era. Chased along the seafront by the Hun on one occasion right up to the funfair ( is it still there ) My cousin was also somehow involved with AFC around the time of the great Gothenburg night. I can understand your frustrations at losing any player who shows promise, we lost nine elevenths of a team two seasons ago. We are on the up at the moment Russian investment etc., could it go tits up? Of course, but we are just supporters, we have no control. We may be only league 1 at the moment, but with higher ambitions. Yes we have a 3 sided ground but it is modern and ready to be upgraded ( what would be the point of building a 20000 seater stadium and only getting 6k fans, you could ask Darlington about that.) We may never reach the Premiership or just do a Blackpool and sneak up for a season or two but it's part of being a supporter, the eternal hope of getting there.

Anyway, whether he signs or not keep singing the "Northern Lights", but Up the Cherries.

And you admit that :clangers2:

• Downvote 1

And you admit that :clangers2:

Yep I've heard the bull stories from the " I fought 15 of them off" from too many fans at clubs all over the country. How was I to know at that time ( one of my first visits to Pittodrie ) that the entrance to the Beach end would be teaming with them. Anyway I guess I shouldn't have wound the guy who stared at my red and white scarf and asked " who do you support, Aberdeen?" by saying no Southampton ( who had just beaten Rangers in some Anglo-Scottish cup ) in a very English accent. I decided not to be a martyr that day and ( probably for the only time in my young life ) used my fathers advice " Hit the big one and run ".

• Upvote 3

Very sad to see the lad go. I think he has been given very poor advice from his agent. Fact is the standard of football in league 1 is easily on a par with the SPL. I lived in England for a while and watched many Championship and League 1 games and saw little difference compared to the SPL. I now sometimes watch it on sky and again no difference. The Champ is the 4th or 5th best paid league in the world but that is not reflected in the standard.

Had he stayed at AFC for another year or two he would have got a lot more exposure than what he will get at Bournemouth. His international chances have certainly been damaged. There is no guarantee they will get promotion to the champ this year or in the following years. I fear he could just drift into obscurity now just for a few more hundred quid a week.................................big shame. Silly knee jerk reaction move and I think this will come back to haunt to him.

Like up here the bubble will burst down in the Eng lower leagues soon (apart from EPL). Then we might get some parity but until such time stupid moves by up and coming players like this will continue.

I really do not think this move is inspired by the cash on offer. I highly doubt Fraser is getting much more at Bournemouth as he was being offered by Aberdeen. People posting about the tv money on offer, but do League 1 clubs really get as much as we think? People seem to be suggesting they're raking it in, but surely that only applies to EPL clubs and some Championship sides? Rarely are League 1 games screened on Sky Sports, in comparison to EPL, Championship and SPL anyway.

I think this move is all down to the development Bournemouth can offer Fraser at this stage of his career. They have a brand new training complex. We may consider ourselves a bigger club as far as reputation and history goes, but for a young footballer that means nothing, especially if that club has to use a public park as a training ground. If we had facilities like Hibs, Hearts, Bournemouth etc have, then I am sure there wouldn't have been a problem with Fraser extending his deal. Why should he give two shits about 'loyalty' to AFC? His prime concern is his own development. Chances are he's likely to develop into a better and fitter player at Bournemouth over the next few years than he would've with us because of the facilities they can offer. Less chance of picking up long term injuries as well.

Regards his wages, you are clutching at straws with that one. He'll have more than quadrupled what we were offering.

As for training, this is not Iron Man comps these guys are training for. 90 mins on a Saturday... at best a 10k run. It did absolutely no harm for the likes of Willie Miller, Eric Black, Peter Weir, Gordon Strachan etc to be training on same parks, beach etc. This notion about players leaving us as they have a fancy shower suite, plunge pool and bowling lawn training pitches is crap. It's all about the coach and the cash.

No matter how shite these pair were, and no matter how much allegiance they showed to the dark sides, they were still loyal to the club for giving them both their chance to put themselves in the "shop window". Fraser has been a little cunt, and for that i hope his career becomes a miserable failure.

Sorry, but Foster wasn't loyal to us. He fecked off to the hun as soon as he heard about the move and only got a move back as they didn't want to keep him. Both Foster and Diamond were horse shit players for us in overall terms. We did them a favour by playing them, not the other way round. Please don't forget that.

The first offer Aberdeen made was

Just to clear up a few points made on here.....

He probably is on ridiculous money. Our wage bill is huge, and our top earners are on well over 10k a week. If you want an example of how much we are spunking money all over the place at the moment, you only have to look at fee and wages we paid to have Lee Barnard on a 6 month loan at the start of this season. 200k loan fee plus 12k a week in wages. We signed a couple of dutch lads in the summer (Demouge from NAC Breda and Lorenzo Davids from some Bundesliga team) who are together supposedly costing us almost 20k a week whilst they rot in the reserves. Great investment hey. So those suggesting he has 'come for the money' might have some foundation for their argument.

AFCB are currently not the club we have been for the past 100 years. The money being invested is serious, Denim (our Russian owner) lives in Bournemouth and watched us for several years before investing in the club. Could it all go tits up? Of course it could, and theres probably a very good chance it will. However, theres also a very good chance that we are the new Swansea, Wigan, Blackpool, Reading etc. As someone who has watched us float between Division Two (sorry, League One) and Division Three whilst hating the PremierPLC clubs for their greed, I am not actually sure I am too keen on becoming that. Who really wants to go to Old Trafford every year hoping to keep the score under 4. But theres F all I can do about it so I might as well enjoy the ride.

I imagine that unless you keep a keen eye on the English lower leagues then you will probably view us as no different to the Walsalls, Scunthorpes, Carlisles of this world. A few years a go you would have been right. These days we are very different and most of those clubs despise us for our money and our squad. We have the largest in the league and our two strikers alone are probably on more than the entire Yeovil squad. We are now regularly beating Championship clubs to the signing of players (make of that what you will).

Whilst I am surprised he has chosen us, I don't necessarily think its a bad move. We play football the right way, have a new 500k training facility next to the ground (which is having a new stand built in the summer), and have a great chance of promotion. We have been crying out for a winger since we sold Feeney to Millwall a couple of years back, so I imagine he will get games. Something that would not happen if he were to go to Swansea/Wigan etc.

One final point.....do you really think young Fraser gives a **** about the history of both clubs? Your still currently a far bigger club than us, but surely for a promising 18 year old, potential is everything? And in terms of potential, there really arent many clubs around with more than us at the moment.

Good honest post.

I think your last point is correct as well. Most players don't really care about the history of who they play for. What might be important to them is the quality of team mates, crowds they play in front, opportunity to win things/be successful and most importantly the money.

Fans are the only people interested in history of their club and thats all part of the emotional attachment and pride fans take in their clubs. Players look on clubs as employers not with the viewpoint of a fan.

I've no real interest in the history of the company that pays my wages - its not that different for a player.

Fallon rarely plays for us, Osbourne played over 100 games in the Championship before being released and Vernon is a very poor player technically but benefited from some good service.

Let's not compare our lesser players to your first team.

We also can't forget players that flopped up here and succeeded in League One e.g Clayton Donaldson, Jamie McAllister, Gary McKenzie etc

EDIT: Good luck with the rest of your season. Also, I had the misfortune of seeing one or two League One games last year when in England, I hope you play a better standard of football than what I saw.

No need to be so defensive McGinnAgain, for one thing Osbourne is considered to be a good player by plenty of Dons fans. He does a decent job.

The bottom line is these comparisons are all meaningless anyway, just as the my club is bigger than yours pish we've seen from a few others is also meaningless.

I actually hope Ryan settles and does well, would be nice to see one of our younger players go on and achieve something rather than play for a bunch of no marks and gob off in the scottish press once in a while like a few of our less talented departees have. Zander Diamond, Ricky Foster I'm looking at you useless bawbags.

Regards his wages, you are clutching at straws with that one. He'll have more than quadrupled what we were offering.

As for training, this is not Iron Man comps these guys are training for. 90 mins on a Saturday... at best a 10k run. It did absolutely no harm for the likes of Willie Miller, Eric Black, Peter Weir, Gordon Strachan etc to be training on same parks, beach etc. This notion about players leaving us as they have a fancy shower suite, plunge pool and bowling lawn training pitches is crap. It's all about the coach and the cash.

Sorry, but Foster wasn't loyal to us. He fecked off to the hun as soon as he heard about the move and only got a move back as they didn't want to keep him. Both Foster and Diamond were horse shit players for us in overall terms. We did them a favour by playing them, not the other way round. Please don't forget that.

Bullshit!

I think Fraser's ability gets better each passing day. Let's be honest here, he is is good, has potential, but not the Messi that some are alluding to here. Being nippy and getting hacked down, doesn't always produce end product. I'd like to think Pawlett or Megginson can go on and pick up where Fraser has left of.

Our current left back. Mark my words.

Slightly incorrect. We spent the majority of the money back in the 90's and have been paying the penalty now with incurred bank charges and interest being the biggest factor. Like a viscous spiral, the more we struggled to create in terms of profit, the more it has led to our debt going up. It's not as if we've been buying up

Excellent post but this final point I want to pick up on. He obviously doesn't given his behaviour and decision. And in the wider sense absolutely most players don't give a shit. It's a job for them and that's fine.

However they should equally not pretend that they care about the club and will give their all for it and look forward to signing on for longer only to turn around at the first chance and run for the money. That was probably the biggest issue with Fraser leaving. Well that and leaving to play at a higher level. Righteo then. Going steps down to play at a higher level is nonsense. You either want a higher level or not. Going down on the change (aka potential) to be playing at a higher level is a lie. (On his part)

Anyway, if players were honest - and some of them are - and said "I'll be going at the end of this contract" up front or at least not saying the total opposite only a few months out then you'd be disappointed but not angry.

No fan expects undying fealty from players but a wee bit of loyalty initially after you have turned them into the player that is getting interest would be nice even if they do say they're not staying forever.

Anyway I guess I shouldn't have wound the guy who stared at my red and white scarf and asked " who do you support, Aberdeen?" by saying no Southampton ( who had just beaten Rangers in some Anglo-Scottish cup ) in a very English accent.

:laughing:

Slightly incorrect. We spent the majority of the money back in the 90's

How come?

I thought it was an accepted fact that our debt when we went into the millenium was very manageable.

Between

England has a more investable product and a much larger audience. We only have one two clubs in Scotland who get more than 13k regularly. We have had several TV deals, but we're NEVER going to get the same investment as England.

Dont buy into the hype min.

Before Sky the English leagues were fucked, even during Sky half the Championship and the lower leagues are still fucked.

There's lots of reasons Scottish football hasnt kept up with English, most of them down to the idiots that have run our game over the last 20 years that constantly undersell and undervalue our game.

If Scottish football was given

• Upvote 6

Dont buy into the hype min.

Before Sky the English leagues were fucked, even during Sky half the Championship and the lower leagues are still fucked.

There's lots of reasons Scottish football hasnt kept up with English, most of them down to the idiots that have run our game over the last 20 years that constantly undersell and undervalue our game.

If Scottish football was given

• Upvote 1