No Surprises Here

tup

• 4 weeks later...

Bumper day for depravity stories in Glasgow.

A killer shouted "easy peasy" after being jailed for life for murder.

Raymond Wodehouse was convicted of murdering Gerry Dobbin in the Gorbals area of Glasgow last year.
At the High Court in Glasgow on Friday, the killer was jailed for life with a minimum of 16 years for stabbing Mr Dobbin to death.
The 27-year-old killed Mr Dobbin in an attack at party at the property in Old Rutherglen Road on February 18, 2012.
Wodehouse, who also uses the surname Sinclair, has a lengthy criminal record. He was jailed for four years in 2003 for assault before receiving another two-year term for drug offences months later.
In 2009, he was jailed for four years for assault and attempted robbery and was on licence at the time he killed 25-year-old Mr Dobbin.
Judge Lord Boyd said it was clear the killer had a "propensity for violence".
Some of Mr Dobbin's relatives and friends shouted "bye bye" at Wodehouse as he was lead downstairs to the cells.

A man slashed a woman and splashed her with boiling water as he tried to find out who stabbed his brother.

Kieran Campbell broke into the victim’s home and began interrogating her, where he released steam from a heated iron on her leg and cut her face and neck.
The 28-year-old attacker was jailed for six years at the High Court in Edinburgh on Monday for his part in the attack which he carried out with two other men.
After cutting her neck Campbell told his victim Charlene McKissock: "One millimetre deeper and it would have been your jugular."
Campbell had earlier admitted breaking into the home of Ms McKissock in Daisy Street, in Glasgow’s Govanhill, with others and assaulting her to her severe injury and permanent disfigurement in July last year.
His trial had got under way when he changed his plea to guilty before the victim went into the witness box. The court heard that in March last year Campbell's younger brother, Thomas, was the victim of a knife attack which left him needing 48 stitches to his neck and face.
Defence solicitor advocate John Carroll said the older brother was in prison at the time and it "festered" with him until he was released.
Advocate depute David Young QC said that when Campbell became aware of it during phone calls he stated that "something would have to be done about the attack". He started to seek information on where the man allegedly responsible for the attack was.
'No excuse'
The man allegedly behind the assault on Campbell’s brother had previously stayed at Ms McKissock's flat and Campbell turned up at her home several times looking for him. He arrived again in the early hours of July 30 but she ignored him and pretended not be at home.
Her front door was forced open and Campbell came in with two other men. He asked where the man he was looking for was but she told him she had not seen him for a number of weeks.
One of his accomplices went into the kitchen and filled a kettle before switching it on to boil, while he also put on an iron. Another intruder picked up a glass tumbler and held it to McKissock's head while threatening to strike her with it.
After the kettle boiled she was asked further questions and every time she could not answer it was swung towards her, resulting in water coming out of the spout with drops hitting her arm and hand. The iron was then held over her leg and the steam button pressed.
The men then went into the kitchen and took all the knives from a block before returning to slash the victim who was warned that if she informed the police her house would get burnt down.
But she managed to call police, who found her highly distressed and with blood covering her neck and face. She was taken to hospital for treatment to wounds and blisters and was left with scarring to her face.
Lord Kinclaven told Campbell, of Clarkston, East Renfrewshire: "It was a concerted attack by you and others against a 32-year-old woman in her own house.”
The judge added that there was "simply no excuse" for the attack, regardless of whether Campbell had taken drink or drugs at the time. He told the attacker: "There is no alternative to a significant custodial sentence. You present as a high risk of harm."
Fiscal depute Mr Young told the court that although the victim has moved from Glasgow she has been nervous about leaving her home and has nightmares about the incident. Defending, Mr Carroll said that Campbell, who has previous convictions for serious assault, felt "disgusted" that he had done this to the woman.

A serial child abuser raped one young girl and sexually assaulted another.

Former puppeteer John Sutherland was previously convicted of the rape and attempted rape of the children for the offences in the later 1980s and early 1990s in Glasgow's south side.
On Friday, the 39-year-old was jailed for 11 years at the High Court in Glasgow for the sex attacks after an earlier trial.
It emerged he has a string of previous offences against young woman, including a 21-month jail term last year in England. The rape victim was aged around 12 at the time of the attack.
Sutherland claimed that another man had carried out the assault and also abused him.
While the sex offender insisted he had very rarely been in the company of the other victim, he gave evidence during the trial and was asked why the jury should believe his evidence. Sutherland replied: "I was not the abuser - I was the abused."
He was described in court as a former "teenage international puppeteer" who once toured Europe with an amateur group and was previously employed by Butlins.
Judge Rita Rae QC told him that he was "clearly a serious risk to children". She added: "The young women who gave evidence were very brave to do so. What you did to them has had a devastating effect on their lives."
The judge also commented on a remark Sutherland made to the victims in the courtroom after he was convicted last month. He shouted towards them at the time: "I am not finished with you yet."
Judge Rae said: "You have shown no remorse whatsoever and the threat is an insight to your complete lack of remorse."
He was jailed in 2001 for 12 months before receiving an 18-month term in 2006 or sex offences. Tony Graham, defending, said it was accepted Sutherland had an "appalling" record.

I would've thought being a puppeteer should have set alarm bells ringing.

best wishes to Miss Tup! hope she enjoys whatever celebrations come her way today :cheers:

Cheers!

We had the party yesterday actually, and I got my hands on the DJ Hero turntable for the Wii, along with DJ Hero 1 and 2.

Magic crack, I was especially digging the mash up of Daft Punk and Queen they have on it, had it blaring, with my daughter giving it big licks with the scratches, all played out to a narrative from the big dog himself, Grandmaster Flash.

• 4 weeks later...

A Scottish nightclub has installed a two-way mirror allowing male revellers to secretly spy on women when they visit the venue's toilets.

Only clubbers who hire out either of the two £800-a-time private rooms at The Shimmy Club in Glasgow can view the spyglass which overlooks the sinks in the women's toilets.
Similar to the those used in police interrogation rooms, the mirror allows revellers in the private function rooms to spy on those in the women's toilets without their knowledge.
A picture taken inside one of the rooms and leaked on the internet shows two female clubbers applying make-up in the toilets completely unaware they are being watched.
The two-way mirror has outraged female guests and women's rights campaigners.
The nightclub, which is owned by millionaire entrepreneur Stefan King’s G1 Group, has defended the 'interactive feature' as 'a bit of fun'.
A comment posted on the nightclub's Facebook page read: 'The Shimmy Club’s two-way mirror is a design feature created as a bit of fun, an interactive feature which we hoped would act as a talking point for people visiting The Shimmy. The vast majority of people who have visited the club have taken it as such.
'It's clear that those who are negatively commenting online may not have been lucky enough to get past the door staff yet and viewed the area as they would have seen that the sight line is very limited and allows for glimpses into the wash up area only of the ladies loos (there is also a separate mirror area which is completely out of view of the club).
'There has always been signage in the toilets which no-one has mentioned thus far but as a result of the media feedback clearer signage has been put in place to inform our female customers.
'Overall our customers seem to enjoy this unique idea, loads of you have used the opportunity as it was intended and knowingly had pictures taken acting up to the camera individually or in a group of friends.
'However we are committed to listening to you guys who are our core customer base and hugely appreciate your loyalty so if your feedback (and not that of the media) is that you want the mirror area to change then we will listen to that and make changes.'
A spokesman for the club claimed that men and mixed groups are not allowed to hire the rooms. But a photograph on the venue’s own Facebook site shows two young women in a bathroom while a man looks on from the other side of the mirror, the Daily Express reports.
Shocked female revellers have told how they were completely unaware of the mirror and had no idea they could be viewed by people in private rooms as they used the venue's toilet.
One clubber whom asked not to be named told the newspaper: 'I was completely shocked to discover that the mirror in the ladies’ bathroom is a two-way mirror facing out onto the club. I find it absolutely outrageous that a club can get away with this, it is a complete invasion of privacy of the unsuspecting girls.
'Nowhere is it made clear that this is the case so when visiting the bathroom for the first time, there are women bending over the sink, pouting into the mirror to redo their lipstick, adjusting themselves whilst unknowingly being watched by people on the other side.
'The fact that these two-way mirrors only look into the ladies’ bathrooms and not the men’s makes it clear that the intention is to sexualise women as objects, allowing men to make inappropriate gestures and leer disgustingly at them.'
The Scottish arm of sexual harassment group Hollaback said it was ‘shocked’ at the reports, saying they were ‘gob smacking’.
An online petition has also been started calling for awards that were given to venue owner G1 Group to be retracted.

A Scottish nightclub has installed a two-way mirror allowing male revellers to secretly spy on women when they visit the venue's toilets.

Only clubbers who hire out either of the two £800-a-time private rooms at The Shimmy Club in Glasgow can view the spyglass which overlooks the sinks in the women's toilets.
Similar to the those used in police interrogation rooms, the mirror allows revellers in the private function rooms to spy on those in the women's toilets without their knowledge.
A picture taken inside one of the rooms and leaked on the internet shows two female clubbers applying make-up in the toilets completely unaware they are being watched.
The two-way mirror has outraged female guests and women's rights campaigners.
The nightclub, which is owned by millionaire entrepreneur Stefan King’s G1 Group, has defended the 'interactive feature' as 'a bit of fun'.
A comment posted on the nightclub's Facebook page read: 'The Shimmy Club’s two-way mirror is a design feature created as a bit of fun, an interactive feature which we hoped would act as a talking point for people visiting The Shimmy. The vast majority of people who have visited the club have taken it as such.
'It's clear that those who are negatively commenting online may not have been lucky enough to get past the door staff yet and viewed the area as they would have seen that the sight line is very limited and allows for glimpses into the wash up area only of the ladies loos (there is also a separate mirror area which is completely out of view of the club).
'There has always been signage in the toilets which no-one has mentioned thus far but as a result of the media feedback clearer signage has been put in place to inform our female customers.
'Overall our customers seem to enjoy this unique idea, loads of you have used the opportunity as it was intended and knowingly had pictures taken acting up to the camera individually or in a group of friends.
'However we are committed to listening to you guys who are our core customer base and hugely appreciate your loyalty so if your feedback (and not that of the media) is that you want the mirror area to change then we will listen to that and make changes.'
A spokesman for the club claimed that men and mixed groups are not allowed to hire the rooms. But a photograph on the venue’s own Facebook site shows two young women in a bathroom while a man looks on from the other side of the mirror, the Daily Express reports.
Shocked female revellers have told how they were completely unaware of the mirror and had no idea they could be viewed by people in private rooms as they used the venue's toilet.
One clubber whom asked not to be named told the newspaper: 'I was completely shocked to discover that the mirror in the ladies’ bathroom is a two-way mirror facing out onto the club. I find it absolutely outrageous that a club can get away with this, it is a complete invasion of privacy of the unsuspecting girls.
'Nowhere is it made clear that this is the case so when visiting the bathroom for the first time, there are women bending over the sink, pouting into the mirror to redo their lipstick, adjusting themselves whilst unknowingly being watched by people on the other side.
'The fact that these two-way mirrors only look into the ladies’ bathrooms and not the men’s makes it clear that the intention is to sexualise women as objects, allowing men to make inappropriate gestures and leer disgustingly at them.'
The Scottish arm of sexual harassment group Hollaback said it was ‘shocked’ at the reports, saying they were ‘gob smacking’.
An online petition has also been started calling for awards that were given to venue owner G1 Group to be retracted.

so they rent out high priced rooms that give a view? nothing like being pimped without your knowledge.

i'd be surprised if most women noticed the signage, given that they've been drinking and the quality of lighting in most women's loos.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

You won't find the Buckfast Triangle on any official map of Scotland but it's right there between Airdrie, Coatbridge and Bellshill. According to the BBC, Buckfast tonic wine was mentioned in almost 6,500 Strathclyde Police crime reports between 2010 and 2012. Now that's brand recognition.

Buckie is what Tracy Meikle was drinking when she stabbed a woman to death, a crime she was jailed for last week. It's the sickly sweet scent I remember on the breath of every angry man in my life before he raised his hand. It's the poisonous green bottles smashed all over the streets of the estate I played on – the evil emeralds I picked out of my knees.
"It is a well-established fact that a substantial amount of offences are committed by persons under the influence of alcohol, whether that be in houses or on the street," said Chief Superintendent Nelson Telfer, police commander for Lanarkshire. "My officers are tasked on a daily basis with targeting the most violent offenders and problem locations."
I grew up in one of those houses on one of those streets – not even the worst house, not even the worst street.
Buckie is a dark brown "tonic wine" brewed by Benedictine monks in Devon. Their recipe is secret but basically it's wine jacked up with chemicals and some of the condensed rage from 28 Days Later. Also known as "Wreck the Hoose Juice" and "Commotion Lotion", Buckie is only about 15% alcohol. But the alcohol content isn't the problem. It's not the strongest or (at about £7 a bottle) the cheapest. But it is the most lethal.
Each bottle contains around eight times the caffeine of a can of coke. Drop-for-drop, it has got more caffeine than Red Bull. It doesn't get you drunk: it gets you high. Really high. The monks, who just bought a new roof for one of their idyllic abbey's guest houses, have thoughtfully added this caution: "The name 'tonic wine' does not imply health-giving or medicinal properties." But in 1976 my pregnant mum was actually prescribed Buckie by her doctor. He told her: "It'll build you up." Luckily for me, floating inside her at the time, she declined his advice.
The monks sell a sizeable chunk of their brew in the Buckfast Triangle, where whole communities disappear – Coatbridge alone, with its population of 40,000 people, is said to account for 10% of the drink's sales. Growing up it was as familiar to me as Irn Bru. Every Wednesday morning, my uncle and his pals went straight from the post office, where they had cashed their benefit books, to "the wee shop" for a "carry out". Drunk by noon, wrecked by the time Neighbours started and, if the police bothered to answer my usual call, handcuffed by midnight.
Yes, people choose to drink it, but it is these particular grapes that make wrath.
The monks get a royalty for every bottle and last year made more than £6m. Their Abbot, David Charlesworth, claims to be upset by the Buckfast Triangle. "I don't want Buckfast Abbey to be associated with broken bottles and drunks," he says. "But is the product bad? No."
That's like Kalashnikov feeling sad about the way his rifles are used. It is unholy water.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/shortcuts/2014/feb/03/buckfast-triangle-alcoholic-drink-monks-west-scotland

Last year, Alan, and his terrified family were forced to flee for their lives after a yob hurled a petrol bomb through their living room window.

The flaming beer bottle — which had been filled with bleach — was thrown into the house, sending shards of glass flying through the air.

A petrol bomb with no petrol in it. :clangers2:

A "bleach bomb" actually makes perfect sense, if throwing it at a hun or tim.

It could be followed up by some "deodorant grenades".

That was a pish article (naturally, its from the Guardian).

Attempts to blame an inanimate liquid for the behaviour of the lower classes.

Buckfast is meant to be drunk in small quantities, akin to a spirit. The alcohol and caffeine content is intended to give old ladies, whom the drink is aimed at, a wee "gee up". They buy it as a tonic, from pharmacists.

If you drink the entire bottle in one go, its no surprise that there may be negative effects. Just like if you drank a whole bottle of whisky in one go.

Imagine someone drank a whole bottle of whiskey in one go, and then tried to blame the results on those "irresponsible distillers" and their "devil juice". They would quite rightly be treated as a twat.

The fuck wit who wrote the article also doesn't seem to realise that its clowns like him who have given the drink its dangerous / glamourous edge. it has also escaped him that, if Buckfast was unavailable, then neds would simply get wrecked on something else and behave the exact same.

He also neglects to mention that Tracy Mekile was also under the influence of valium and cider - not just buckfast - when she committed murder. However the real reason for that incident was not intoxicants, but that the murdered women had turned up outside Meikles home, accompanied by others, and aggressively "called her out" - in one of those wild-west grand public showdowns, so beloved of the working class.

No mention either of the grovelling apology the Police had to make to Buckfast recently, for similarly wrongly identifying it as a problematic drink.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-25989700

This is the kind of nonsense the Scots like to lose ourselves in, as opposed to simply accepting "yes, we have a problem with irresponsible drinkers and our general attitudes to drink".

EDIT - and Mikhail Kalashkinov was regretful as to how his inventions had been used to kill millions. (Apparently, before his death, he spoke about this with a Russian Orthodox Priest.)

• 1 month later...

A BEAUTICIAN who glassed an innocent woman in a nightclub tried to dupe friends into thinking she was going on an exotic holiday – instead of a lengthy jail stretch.

Alexandria McNairn, 21, posted a photo of herself in a bikini on Facebook with a message that she was packing to go to Australia.
In reality, she was being packed off to jail to serve 15 months for glassing Natasha Quin n.
McNairn, from Glasgow, posted on Facebook: “Suitable for Oz I would say #packingforoz #onemoreday #cheerio#hame”
Her jail smokescreen was rumbled by Natasha, who was scarred for life in the unprovoked attack.
She said: “She was so convincing, I think she actually started to believe it herself.
“It annoys me that she’s telling her friends in Scotland that she’s going to Australia when she’s actually going to jail.
“When I first saw the things she was posting about going to Australia, I was worried she was going to take off.
“Now I realise it was just a ruse so her friends would think she’s away travelling when she’s in jail.”
At Belfast Crown Court last week, McNairn, 21, of Dumbarton Road, was jailed for the attack at El Divino nightclub in the city in June last year.
The court heard how make-up artist Natasha, also 21, had been out with colleagues at the club when McNairn smashed a glass into her forehead.
The victim needed more than a dozen stitches.
McNairn initially denied glassing Natasha. But in court in February, she admitted the attack.
Natasha later released a picture of herself covered in blood after the glassing incident and another taken earlier of her dressed up.
She welcomed McNairn’s sentence, saying: “I’m just glad she has been punished. I was determined to see I got justice – and I did.
“It’s all over for me now and I can move on and get on with my life.”

JS34666829-3383281.jpg

• 1 month later...