Motherwell V Aberdeen (1 - 3)

Guest findlay_1903

As much as I can't stand clangers, I cannot blame him for that goal. He definitely HAD committed himself early and he may well have blocked it if he stood up, but the bottom line is he should have never been put in a 1 on 1 situation within the first minute of play. Had Anier gone far side, clangers may have saved it. Had Anier gone far side and Langfield stood up, I doubt he would have had time to react and he would have been blamed for not attempting to make a save.

He couldnt have saved it, the position he put himself in made it impossible for him to cover anything that was going to the right side of his goal.

You see it week after week with him,

Standing level sometimes even past his near post, only a matter of time before strikers became aware of this.

• Upvote 1

He couldnt have saved it, the position he put himself in made it impossible for him to cover anything that was going to the right side of his goal.

You see it week after week with him,

Standing level sometimes even past his near post, only a matter of time before strikers became aware of this.

Given he's been playing for us for, what 8 years?, you must question why strikers have not noticed this before if it is such a common occurrence.

Does anyone know if he loses a disproportionate amount of his goals at his near post?

On the topic though, I do remember a couple of goals where Langfield has gone down quite early which has appeared to make it easy to score. What I don't remember though is if this tactic has ever stopped goals, as you just don't remember them as much. I do seem to recall a couple where he has managed to get some low placed shots in this type of situation.

I've seen him lose plenty at near post.

What's disproportionate ?

Has he lost more goals from shots at his near post rather than at the far post or straight at him and through his legs or from crosses?

We've all seen him beaten at the near post, not always through poor positioning though, sometimes just blunders, i.e first game last season.

I'm just wondering whether, as Stoney suggests, opposition strikers are now targeting near post shots when playing against us?

Given he's been playing for us for, what 8 years?, you must question why strikers have not noticed this before if it is such a common occurrence.

Does anyone know if he loses a disproportionate amount of his goals at his near post?

They have, thats the problem.

I'll bet that half the goals we lose this season are at his near post or in the middle of the goal.

Recurring theme last season this losing goals slap bang in the middle of his goal.

Its a joke

been happening for years

and years

and years

nah...canna blame Langers, 9/10 strikers would go across the kepper, superb finish

and you're a football manager? just because 9/10 times a striker would go across the keeper, doesn't mean the keeper just dives that way, you stay up as long as possible then react to the shot. langfields made it easy for anier by simply falling over. anier is clever he did the same thing last week to ben Williams although in fairness to him he kind of slipped. i'm dumbfounded an actual manager could defend that goalkeeping.

• Upvote 2

They have, thats the problem.

I'll bet that half the goals we lose this season are at his near post or in the middle of the goal.

Recurring theme last season this losing goals slap bang in the middle of his goal.

Its a joke

been happening for years

and years

and years

Only the 3rd goal of the Celtic game appeared to me to have him beaten at his near post so it would appear that that is not the problem you suggested it was.

Being beaten by shots straight at him or in the middle of the goal appear to be the weakness highlighted in those clips, although they were from 3 - 5 years ago, we might hope he has learned from these mistakes. :hysterical:

Maybe that's why he dived to cover the middle of the goal on Sunday? :whistling:

Thankfully most of last season highlights are still online.

First game of the season

3.53 - needs no explanation - Near post.

2.47 - answers on a post card - near post

2.45 - Still no idea how this went in - near post

0.42 - Middle of the goal - jusus

0.45 - spends so much time cover near past, has to palm shit into path of oncoming striker

0.54 - jesus fucking wept, positioning seriously in question for second at 1.50 also

4.20 - near post

2.50 - Harsh to blame him, but another occasion where ball goes slap bang in middle of the goal

1.30 - middle of the goal - 3.42 - its like hes invisible.

2.20 - Needless sending off

1.52 - shit positioning, shot goes right through him - 3.16 through his legs, middle of the goal - 4.04, middle of the goals like hes not even there.

3.52 - get intae them..........eh feet first - DOH

1.43 - Soft as you like - 2.43 - THROWS THE BALL IN HIS OWN FUCKING NET RAAAAAAAR - Just for a change at the near post

3.00 - invisible goalie - 4.25 - middle of the goal

1.13 - maybe somebody can explain why he goes to ground when striker is heading away from goal?

3.44 - I cant even describe the goal, what the actual fuck is he doing (middle of the goal again)

2.57 - Through him again, middle of goal

4.10 - And again

0.25 seconds - Hes actually past his front post, 3.33 falls over before ball even reaches him - middle of the goal, 4.10 jesus christ and again,

4.37 - aye jamie thats what to do - use yer feet son

2.53 - Bullet (sic) header - middle of the goal.

• Upvote 8