Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Agree with analysis of swinney.

Re what the telegraph accuses him of:

- its a matter of record he did vote for the GRR which would have allowed 16 yr old to self declare a gender with no medical input or evidence (all of this is obscene nonsense of course).

- as for an LGBT curriculum, its this kind of thing:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/scotland-first-country-in-the-world-to-embed-lgbt-education-in-school-curriculum-3393389

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23741392.first-school-scotland-embeds-lgbt-education-curriculum/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/04/17/scottish-primary-schools-appoint-children-lgbt-champions/

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/12504427/scottish-primary-schools-lgbt-champions-trans/

For a nationalist, you seem very poorly informed of what they spend their parliamentary time on, instead of independence.

So Sweeney wants school kids to embrace equality and understand that people can be different. Good on him. 

And fuck The Telegraph with their poisonous, bitter, hate filled wee culture war articles, designed to get right-wing fuckwits and bigots everywhere all riled up. 

• Upvote 3
  • Dildo 1

2 hours ago, Schapenneuker said:

So Sweeney wants school kids to embrace equality and understand that people can be different. Good on him. 

And fuck The Telegraph with their poisonous, bitter, hate filled wee culture war articles, designed to get right-wing fuckwits and bigots everywhere all riled up. 

Are you a right wing fuckwit/bigot as can’t see anyone else getting riled up?! 

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Parklife said:

Not seeing Angus Robertson quoted as standing anywhere. Has he ruled himself out already? 

He is understandably (if you know, you know) keeping a low profile while certain legal actions take their course. 

I think Clydeside Sheep alludes to some relevant points though, the SNP/YES movement have lost their way since 2015. Whatever you think of Salmond, he took Scotland to the brink and bequeathed a party and movement in great health, primed to bounce back from 2014's agonising defeat. Since 2015, the Sturgeon and Murrell regime had every perfect storm; the broken "Vow" and fudge of the Smith Commission, more Tory governments we never voted for, the EU vote (though an inconvenient truth is around 35-40% of SNP/YES supporters voted Leave and have been all but ignored since), the Corbyn collapse, the Red Tory Starmer and now a Tory implosion... yet still they can't move the dial beyond a few % points! 

I think a defeat for the SNP and subsequent clear out may be the best thing for a party drunk with power, complacent and full of careerist chancers and pension grifters - not to mention the nonce brigade of Harvey and co. acting as the tail that wags the dog.

• Upvote 5

If you live in Aberdeen and value the city and your job, vote Conservative.

The far left snp and greens are running the Country into the ground. Bunch of lunatics who would fuck up running a corner shop. Very lucky they lost the independence vote, we'd have had people trying to sneak into England to make a Rwanda flight if they'd won. 

Clydeside is correct, Holyrood should be closed down, they've made things worse and it costs a fortune. Spent years debating how to give men in dresses more rights and working out how to damage the oil industry in the name of a climate change myth. It's all a fucking joke, close it down, let the real politicians in London do their jobs.

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo 4
9 hours ago, The Buzzard said:

Just to clarify that I think the 28 days to appoint a new FM kicks in only when he formally resigns that position. What he's done today is to indicate that he's standing down as party leader so that a leadership election takes place.
Parliament has 28 days to agree the appointment of a new FM (that'll be whoever wins the leadership election, plus the opposition parties would also put forward their leaders for FM). 

Apologies if that is what you are saying but wasn't entirely clear to me. 

There's probably also the possibility that the vote of no confidence in HY still goes ahead and he has to resign immediately...I think. 

Addrd to that, the Labour no confidence motion in the entire government could also see the whole lot resign if that vote was passed. I doubt it would get the numbers but you never know. 

Good post. 

yeah labour’s NC motion v unlikely to pass as greens likely to abstain from what I’ve read/heard. They’ve got their revenge after being slighted and that should be enough. 

Humza certainly underestimated how pissed off they would be. I wonder how he put it across to them that got them so riled up. 

Poor politicking by him. Always count your votes before making decisions like this. 

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, elephantstone78 said:

Poor politicking by him. Always count your votes before making decisions like this. 

Or have a plan B already worked out and agreed.

Actually feel (slightly) sorry for Humza, SNP had to dump the Greens before the Greens dumped the SNP so he had no choice in the matter.

The BHA has been a disaster for the SNP but an absolutely brilliant piece of business for the Greens.

9 hours ago, daytripping said:

The far left snp and greens are running the Country into the ground. Bunch of lunatics who would fuck up running a corner shop. Very lucky they lost the independence vote, we'd have had people trying to sneak into England to make a Rwanda flight if they'd won. 

Clydeside is correct, Holyrood should be closed down, they've made things worse and it costs a fortune. Spent years debating how to give men in dresses more rights and working out how to damage the oil industry in the name of a climate change myth. It's all a fucking joke, close it down, let the real politicians in London do their jobs.

The Cuntservatives are, per always, only interested in London and the South of England, so no.

Labour apparently on a mission to kill the oil industry, so no.

Greens more interested in supporting deviants than anything else, so no.

Liberal Democrats more interested in political opportunism than anything else, so no.

SNP have admittedly made a raging arse of things, but they are in a two horse race with the cunts in my constituency. Since having the vote from when the most horrible cunt of them all, Thatcher, was in power, my life's vow is that I will never vote for the cunts.

The SNP may be at a low at present but they'll never be cunts.

Enough said.

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, daytripping said:

:fishing:

18 hours ago, Parklife said:

You're arguing with someone who himself has said he'd like to see the abolition of the Scottish Parliament. 

So, now hes quitting, that means Humza (aged 39) gets £52k per year from the taxpayer for life.

If he lived to 90 - not unlikely given he's never done a good days work in his life, nor will he ever - that would come out to be over £2.6m, in return for doing nothing.

He became an MSP in 2011, meaning a Holyrood career of just 13 years, during which time he could not point to a single significant success of any type.

And this at a time when theres a cost of living crisis and services being cut.

You are correct I want it shut down.

It was in The Herald over the weekend that the Greens are riven with internal acrimony (good).

However, one chilling detail was that Ross Greer refers to John Swinney as "work dad".

Just when you think these people could not disgust you any more, they always find a way......

• Upvote 2
23 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

So, now hes quitting, that means Humza (aged 39) gets £52k per year from the taxpayer for life.

If he lived to 90 - not unlikely given he's never done a good days work in his life, nor will he ever - that would come out to be over £2.6m, in return for doing nothing.

He became an MSP in 2011, meaning a Holyrood career of just 13 years, during which time he could not point to a single significant success of any type.

And this at a time when theres a cost of living crisis and services being cut.

You are correct I want it shut down.

These payments should be capped as pro rats of time of position held. It’s like the lettuce getting same benefits as Blair for example, ludicrously stupid management of our money. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

The Cuntservatives are, per always, only interested in London and the South of England, so no.

Labour apparently on a mission to kill the oil industry, so no.

Greens more interested in supporting deviants than anything else, so no.

Liberal Democrats more interested in political opportunism than anything else, so no.

SNP have admittedly made a raging arse of things, but they are in a two horse race with the cunts in my constituency. Since having the vote from when the most horrible cunt of them all, Thatcher, was in power, my life's vow is that I will never vote for the cunts.

The SNP may be at a low at present but they'll never be cunts.

Enough said.

The 80's were the best times ever. 

8 minutes ago, daytripping said:

The 80's were the best times ever. 

Yes they were music and football wise.

However politically it set the tone for the downward spiral the country has gone into in subsequent decades.

I wouldn't piss on any of the politicians we now have, even if they were on fire.

Incompetent lot who continually make incompetent decisions. 

There all as bad, from the Cuntservatives right through to the SNP.

God help us independent or otherwise. 

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

Yes they were music and football wise.

However politically it set the tone for the downward spiral the country has gone into in subsequent decades.

I wouldn't piss on any of the politicians we now have, even if they were on fire.

Incompetent lot who continually make incompetent decisions. 

There all as bad, from the Cuntservatives right through to the SNP.

God help us independent or otherwise. 

The right to buy council housing set my folks up for life, a real life changing policy for Millions. People get blinded by some imaginary hatred, the Conservatives did a lot more good than harm, the Country thrived and we won a war.

Imagine Maggie wasting time discussing trans rights, hahaha. 

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

'The National' today tweeted a picture of likely SNP leadership candidates. 

One of the pics was Ash Regan 😆

She defected to Alba, maybe she will defect to SNP.

Nothing stranger than politics. If you ignore huns.

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, daytripping said:

The right to buy council housing set my folks up for life, a real life changing policy for Millions. People get blinded by some imaginary hatred, the Conservatives did a lot more good than harm, the Country thrived and we won a war.

Two Words - Poll Tax! 

6 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

Two Words - Poll Tax! 

People really hate them for something so trivial. Weird. I'd be better off with it now, large families pay the same as me and my daughter for the same type house. Wish they'd bring it back.

15 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

He is understandably (if you know, you know) keeping a low profile while certain legal actions take their course. 

I think Clydeside Sheep alludes to some relevant points though, the SNP/YES movement have lost their way since 2015. Whatever you think of Salmond, he took Scotland to the brink and bequeathed a party and movement in great health, primed to bounce back from 2014's agonising defeat. Since 2015, the Sturgeon and Murrell regime had every perfect storm; the broken "Vow" and fudge of the Smith Commission, more Tory governments we never voted for, the EU vote (though an inconvenient truth is around 35-40% of SNP/YES supporters voted Leave and have been all but ignored since), the Corbyn collapse, the Red Tory Starmer and now a Tory implosion... yet still they can't move the dial beyond a few % points! 

I think a defeat for the SNP and subsequent clear out may be the best thing for a party drunk with power, complacent and full of careerist chancers and pension grifters - not to mention the nonce brigade of Harvey and co. acting as the tail that wags the dog.

Sturgeon was just a munter West Coast version of Jacinda horse face Ardern. Happy to lap up the plaudits from the liberal Twitter wankerati set but fuck all game on the ground. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, daytripping said:

People really hate them for something so trivial. Weird. I'd be better off with it now, large families pay the same as me and my daughter for the same type house. Wish they'd bring it back.

Trivial! Trialled on us Scots and helped the rich and put more burden on the poor 

1 hour ago, daytripping said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/property/buying-selling/margeret-thatcher-right-buy-scheme-britain-housing-crisis/

Worked out well for the average punter... even their own propaganda sheets admit it created a shit show. 

1 hour ago, alscotoz said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/property/buying-selling/margeret-thatcher-right-buy-scheme-britain-housing-crisis/

Worked out well for the average punter... even their own propaganda sheets admit it created a shit show. 

Disagree, the shit show was the councils not building new homes to replace those sold off. Unfortunately the building of new Council Houses is something that's still being done in pathetic numbers across the UK.

Besides, if buying your council house was such a bad policy, why did the likes of Angela Reynar do it?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Disagree, the shit show was the councils not building new homes to replace those sold off. Unfortunately the building of new Council Houses is something that's still being done in pathetic numbers across the UK.

Besides, if buying your council house was such a bad policy, why did the likes of Angela Reynar do it?

It wasn’t a bad policy but the uk govt not adequately funding the local authorities after selling all the homes at a discount wasn’t very smart. 
How could the councils replace the sold off stock when they were sold at a deep (depending on length of ownership) discount?

Gone from 2 or 3 bedroom houses with front and back gardens to flats in high rises. 

5 hours ago, elephantstone78 said:

It wasn’t a bad policy but the uk govt not adequately funding the local authorities after selling all the homes at a discount wasn’t very smart. 
How could the councils replace the sold off stock when they were sold at a deep (depending on length of ownership) discount?

Gone from 2 or 3 bedroom houses with front and back gardens to flats in high rises. 

It was a typical Tory policy. It benefitted some, but effectively destroyed the concept of social housing for future generations. 

Everything that the Tories did in the 1980's set the foundations for the have and have not society we have in the UK these days. A country with the biggest gap between rich and poor in the western world (outside the USA of course, unsurprisingly).

Anyone that thinks that the Tories did anything good in the 80's either wasn't there, or is simply an ignorant right wing cunt. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2