Snap General Election Announced Today

vanderark14

If the Liberals and Labour worked together in England and Wales as a Lib/Lab coalition then there might be hope... SNP will nail it in Scotland so could be part of that... Just not the fucking Tories... ABC... Anyone but the Conservatives...

I think the SNP will perform a fair bit worse than in 2015.

Pro independence and anti EU, to vote SNP or not. Will be a decision many will have to make, myself included.

An independent Scotland outside the EU is a possibility with an SNP vote. They wouldnt be in power in Scotland forever and even some of the SNP are looking at other alternatives.

An independent Scotland with everyone voting Labour, Lib Dem or Conservative is not possible.

One victory at a time.

The Conservatives are far to cocky here everyone thinks its won already i am not so sure

When you put Corybin up for a vote he seems to do well with the man in the street (its the biased press and his own party that have turned on him although he has in my opinion been to soft on a lot of things)

As for the snp if it were me i would stand on one thing only independence if we get majority of MPs and more than 50% vote in Scotland

Also do not think Labour in England would rule out an agreement with SNP so quick this time

• Downvote 1

Behold the balanced world view of the SNP voter. Its basically that of the labour voter of 30 years ago, clad in tartan. They even give us the occasional mention of Thatcher, just to prove the point.

Speaking of education, do you know Scotlands international ranking for the quality of its schools has fallen to its worst ever rating under the SNP?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-38207729

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/06/snp-fire-scottish-education-system-records-worst-ever-rating/

Yet, people want to reward them for making our schools worse.

This is what happens when people dont use their head to vote.

That is one interpretation of the BBC article at least - I won't stoop to reading the Torygraph.

Another interpretation would be that the results in all areas were declining sharply when the SNP came to power. They then either reversed or slowed the decline for a period before austerity and budget cuts had their impact. The graphs would back this analysis.

Also worth noting that the countries above us in most measures include Ireland, Norway, Finland and Estonia. All of which are small independent North European countries all in or at least closely aligned with the EU.

I bet Greece and Spain have seen their standards fall sharply over the same period

The Conservatives are far to cocky here everyone thinks its won already i am not so sure

When you put Corybin up for a vote he seems to do well with the man in the street (its the biased press and his own party that have turned on him although he has in my opinion been to soft on a lot of things)

As for the snp if it were me i would stand on one thing only independence if we get majority of MPs and more than 50% vote in Scotland

Also do not think Labour in England would rule out an agreement with SNP so quick this time

The Liberals will do better- they lost a lot of votes through association with the Tories in coalition- a high proportion of the votes they got before were clearly tactical stop the Tories votes. People are starting to realise the Tories on their own is a nightmare and the tactical vote will return

I struggle to understand why so many Scots seem to be obsessed with maintaining the Union. Do we want to be treated with utter contempt by English politicians (Labour are / were just as bad as the Tories)?

Let`s be bold and make our own decisions just like...Finland, Ireland, Denmark, Croatia and Norway. None of them appear to be "too wee" or "too stupid" to run their own affairs.

If we continually allow ourselves to be controlled by a party that has no mandate in Scotland it says a lot about our lack of ambition and self-respect.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I struggle to understand why so many Scots seem to be obsessed with maintaining the Union. Do we want to be treated with utter contempt by English politicians (Labour are / were just as bad as the Tories)?

Let`s be bold and make our own decisions just like...Finland, Ireland, Denmark, Croatia and Norway. None of them appear to be "too wee" or "too stupid" to run their own affairs.

If we continually allow ourselves to be controlled by a party that has no mandate in Scotland it says a lot about our lack of ambition and self-respect.

If and when we get independence then we'll just be treated with utter contempt by our central belt politicians.

Total garbage. Aberdonians have such an unnecessary chip on their shoulder.

With good reason.

Aberdeen has been the bread basket of Scotland for decades yet has been sorely underfunded. Shit roads, infrastructure, lower than average investment by both parliaments...

We pulled Thatcher out of the shite, paid for the upgrading of Glasgow and the decade of investment Dundee has had and in return we get a city deal 20 years too late and millions short of whats needed.

We need Labour and Corbo, guys

If you are clever.

If voting Labour wasnt going to be a complete waste of a vote up here then I might just to have a decent chance of ousting the torys.

Its a waste though and opening up the door for more tory cunts to get in. Its SNP or Tory in Scotland, any other vote is a waste.

• Upvote 1

No one has ever explained to me adequately why revenue from the North Sea oil is Aberdeen's? Fair enough Aberdeen is close to it all but it's had the benefits from employment, why should it get an unequal share of any other revenue. No one can tell me Dundee is better invested in than Aberdeen(and nor should it be)

Pretty astute move from May.

She has everything to gain and probably will increase her majority. At the same time she strips her opponents of their weapon of saying "she wasnt elected" and also can state that the public support her brexit direction.

Labour will probably do poorly, given they are a total joke.

Dim Lems are irrelevant anyway.

As the SNP have the vast majority of scottish seats already, they have very little to gain and everything to lose (I expect another strong showing, but wouldn't be surprised if they lost a few seats).

I like Theresa May.

With good reason.

Aberdeen has been the bread basket of Scotland for decades yet has been sorely underfunded. Shit roads, infrastructure, lower than average investment by both parliaments...

We pulled Thatcher out of the shite, paid for the upgrading of Glasgow and the decade of investment Dundee has had and in return we get a city deal 20 years too late and millions short of whats needed.

The North Sea has been the bread basket of Scotland and Aberdeen has done better out of that than anywhere else. Hence my surprise at the moaning.

No one has ever explained to me adequately why revenue from the North Sea oil is Aberdeen's? Fair enough Aberdeen is close to it all but it's had the benefits from employment, why should it get an unequal share of any other revenue. No one can tell me Dundee is better invested in than Aberdeen(and nor should it be)

Its not Aberdeen's but Aberdeen should've been given its fair share of it and Aberdeen should've had a lot more investment from it than it has had.

Any other city around the world that has had the industry boom Aberdeen has is decades ahead of where Aberdeen is now. There's still parts of the city that doesnt have fibre for fuck sake. THat doesnt encourage small business nor further investment in the city.

Its not Aberdeen's but Aberdeen should've been given its fair share of it and Aberdeen should've had a lot more investment from it than it has had.

Any other city around the world that has had the industry boom Aberdeen has is decades ahead of where Aberdeen is now. There's still parts of the city that doesnt have fibre for fuck sake. THat doesnt encourage small business nor further investment in the city.

It's done very well out of it though. North Sea revenues have been horrifically mismanaged but to make out Aberdeen is hard done by considering the prosperity of the area is nonsense

It's done very well out of it though. North Sea revenues have been horrifically mismanaged but to make out Aberdeen is hard done by considering the prosperity of the area is nonsense

Aberdeen as a city has had nothing out of it.

Some people in Aberdeen have done well out of it.

Most people in Aberdeen were paid more that others in Scotland but had a higher cost of living to go with it.

Its taken 40 years for a bypass, 90 years for a 3rd river crossing and we're still waiting for other improvements to the infrastructure to start or be signed off. Improvements that would've encouraged further private investment 20 years ago but in 10 years time when things are finally done all it'll do is help a ghost town finally be fit for purpose, 30 years too late.

You seem to be confusing what people earned out of the oil with how much or little the city was invested in when it was raking in the taxes for both Westminster and Holyrood.