Aberdeen 4 - 2 Dundee United

Completely pointless comparison.

Fergies team was a juggernaut in not just a stronger league but in Europe

But by your logic they must have only been able to become a juggernaut because of the lack of a strong huns team. Real Madrid also won fuck all that year so clearly we only won the CWC because of a lack of proper competition.

But by your logic they must have only been able to become a juggernaut because of the lack of a strong huns team. Real Madrid also won fuck all that year so clearly we only won the CWC because of a lack of proper competition.

Why does it always have to revert back to just the Huns.

They are only one of the sides that have vacated the premises over the past five years or so

McInnes is a proven big game bottler the majority of the times he has had to put a side out in one.

He is the Andy Considine of managers.

Good against the rest but liability when it really matters

That doesn't back up your argument that Aberdeen only finished second because Rangers, Hearts and Hibs weren't there (even though they're here now and we're second) and that anyone who disagrees with you is "deluded".

A former English work colleague of mine once said to me that Aberdeen winning the Cup Winners Cup in '83 wasn't that great an achievement because Real Madrid were not the same powerhouse back then as they are today. And that Bayern Munich weren't either. His comments were "Hamburg were the German team to beat back then and Barcelona were the Spanish team to beat as they had a prime Maradona and Schuster".

He soon shut up when I told him that Barcelona took part in the Cup Winners Cup as defending champions in 83 with Maradona and Schuster both prominent for them until they got knocked out in the quarter-finals. I also informed him that Hamburg won the European Cup the same season we won the Cup Winners Cup and that a few months later we beat them 2-0 over 2 legs to win the Super Cup. I also reminded him that Bayern had been in the European Cup Final the year before in 82 and that Madrid had made the final in 81. He soon changed the subject.

• Upvote 4

A former English work colleague of mine once said to me that Aberdeen winning the Cup Winners Cup in '83 wasn't that great an achievement because Real Madrid were not the same powerhouse back then as they are today. And that Bayern Munich weren't either. His comments were "Hamburg were the German team to beat back then and Barcelona were the Spanish team to beat as they had a prime Maradona and Schuster".

He soon shut up when I told him that Barcelona took part in the Cup Winners Cup as defending champions in 83 with Maradona and Schuster both prominent for them until they got knocked out in the quarter-finals. I also informed him that Hamburg won the European Cup the same season we won the Cup Winners Cup and that a few months later we beat them 2-0 over 2 legs to win the Super Cup. I also reminded him that Bayern had been in the European Cup Final the year before in 82 and that Madrid had made the final in 81. He soon changed the subject.

Get him telt!

That doesn't back up your argument that Aberdeen only finished second because Rangers, Hearts and Hibs weren't there (even though they're here now and we're second) and that anyone who disagrees with you is "deluded".

can't I make more than one point without them having to be directly linked?

I also didn't say that we only finished second because blah blah. What I actually implied was that we only finished second so consistently because over the period we were facing a far weaker combination of opponents, so I just agreed with Laszlo.

We very wel could have finished second at one time if all the cards fell well if all the better teams were up there challenging but we wouldn't have done it 3 or 4 years running.

If you really believe that the team we have is so great. Why have we only won a LC whilst being so dominant over all?

Guest the shepherd

Lest we forget, in January 2010 Csaba Laszlo's Hearts team lost 2-0 and 3-0 to McGhee's AFC team. He was sacked shortly after the second defeat.

It was a good ten months after the 3-0 win before McGhee was given the bullet min. That was a painful ten months.

Guest the shepherd

I also didn't say that we only finished second because blah blah. What I actually implied was that we only finished second so consistently because over the period we were facing a far weaker combination of opponents, so I just agreed with Laszlo.

We very wel could have finished second at one time if all the cards fell well if all the better teams were up there challenging but we wouldn't have done it 3 or 4 years running.

If you really believe that the team we have is so great. Why have we only won a LC whilst being so dominant over all?

Spiteful post from someone who clearly does not support Aberdeen. If you did you would be very appreciative of how well run our club is compared with others who have deliberately cheated us supporters to chase a 'dream', not what football is about. If indeed you are an Aberdeen supporter why are you so infatuated with what a Hungarian has had to say about us? It was illogical empty words with absolutely no evidence to back up what he said.

European competition was a lot more prestigious back then, you had to earn the right to compete in it unlike the pish closed shop we are served up nowadays. Europe’s elite competition is based on money and viewing figures now.

The CWC was an immensely hard competition because it usually contained some of the best in the Europe , some of those teams narrowly missed out on the title in their home country the year before. It became shite when uefa started handing European cup spots to teams who won absolutely fuck all. Of course younger fans and faggots like bluto lap up this shite up despite it being corrupt boring garbage. It’s pretty to watch and that’s enough for some but not for me and I get the feeling many, especially older fans feel the same.

is it next season where only 16 slots will be available in the CL group stages? Slowly but surely getting to the European super league where the top 16 richest clubs or 4 richest footballing countries will close the door completely.

European competition was a lot more prestigious back then, you had to earn the right to compete in it unlike the pish closed shop we are served up nowadays. Europes elite competition is based on money and viewing figures now.

The CWC was an immensely hard competition because it usually contained some of the best in the Europe , some of those teams narrowly missed out on the title in their home country the year before. It became shite when uefa started handing European cup spots to teams who won absolutely fuck all. Of course younger fans and faggots like bluto lap up this shite up despite it being corrupt boring garbage. Its pretty to watch and thats enough for some but not for me and I get the feeling many, especially older fans feel the same.

is it next season where only 16 slots will be available in the CL group stages? Slowly but surely getting to the European super league where the top 16 richest clubs or 4 richest footballing countries will close the door completely.

You're absolutely spot on.

Back in the 80's European football was as you say immensely hard in all three competitions. The European Cup was brilliant as it only contained the champions of a country and it was straight two leg knock-out. The only time you'd ever get two teams from the same country in the same tournament is when one team were the defending champions. It happened the year we won the CWC as in season 81/82 Real Madrid won the Spanish Cup and Barcelona won the CWC hence both teams participated in the season 82/83 CWC which we won. The same thing happened in the early 80's when Liverpool won the league and Forest won the European Cup so both played in the European Cup and they drew each other in the first round.

Back then you didn't have massively rich English clubs playing weakened teams and totally devaluing the tournaments. It was rightly seen as the pinnacle for a club to win any of the European trophies. We can always say we won a European trophy that had Real Madrid, a Diego Maradona inspired Barcelona and a Bayern Munich team full of West German internationals in it. A truly great achievement.

The current CL and Europa League are not a patch on the old European Cup, CWC & UEFA Cups. League stages just don't work in European football they are as boring as fuck straight two leg knock-out every time for me. Money and greed has sucked the life out of European football. Those that run the game have totally destroyed it.

My one regret from European football back in the Fergie era was not getting to play what I consider the best European team of the early 80's which was that star studded Juventus Team that won the CWC in 84 and the European Cup in 85. We were twice one game away from playing them (they lost the European Cup final to Hamburg in 83 and in 84 they won the CWC beating Porto in the final after we as defending champions had lost to Porto in the semi-finals). That Juventus team were full of Italian World Cup 82 winners off the top of my head Zoff, Cabrini, Scirea, Rossi, Tardelli, Bettega and Gentile. They also had Boniek and without a doubt the greatest European player of the early to mid 80's Michel Platini. Would have been great to have watched Aberdeen play such a great team in either the CWC final or the Super Cup knowing we would have had a half decent chance of beating them. But alas it wasn't to be.

• Upvote 2
Guest the shepherd

European competition was a lot more prestigious back then, you had to earn the right to compete in it unlike the pish closed shop we are served up nowadays. Europe’s elite competition is based on money and viewing figures now.

The CWC was an immensely hard competition because it usually contained some of the best in the Europe , some of those teams narrowly missed out on the title in their home country the year before. It became shite when uefa started handing European cup spots to teams who won absolutely fuck all. Of course younger fans and faggots like bluto lap up this shite up despite it being corrupt boring garbage. It’s pretty to watch and that’s enough for some but not for me and I get the feeling many, especially older fans feel the same.

You're absolutely spot on.

Back in the 80's European football was as you say immensely hard in all three competitions. The European Cup was brilliant as it only contained the champions of a country and it was straight two leg knock-out. The only time you'd ever get two teams from the same country in the same tournament is when one team were the defending champions. It happened the year we won the CWC as in season 81/82 Real Madrid won the Spanish Cup and Barcelona won the CWC hence both teams participated in the season 82/83 CWC which we won. The same thing happened in the early 80's when Liverpool won the league and Forest won the European Cup so both played in the European Cup and they drew each other in the first round.

Back then you didn't have massively rich English clubs playing weakened teams and totally devaluing the tournaments. It was rightly seen as the pinnacle for a club to win any of the European trophies. We can always say we won a European trophy that had Real Madrid, a Diego Maradona inspired Barcelona and a Bayern Munich team full of West German internationals in it. A truly great achievement.

The current CL and Europa League are not a patch on the old European Cup, CWC & UEFA Cups. League stages just don't work in European football they are as boring as fuck straight two leg knock-out every time for me. Money and greed has sucked the life out of European football. Those that run the game have totally destroyed it.

My one regret from European football back in the Fergie era was not getting to play what I consider the best European team of the early 80's which was that star studded Juventus Team that won the CWC in 84 and the European Cup in 85. We were twice one game away from playing them (they lost the European Cup final to Hamburg in 83 and in 84 they won the CWC beating Porto in the final after we as defending champions had lost to Porto in the semi-finals). That Juventus team were full of Italian World Cup 82 winners off the top of my head Zoff, Cabrini, Scirea, Rossi, Tardelli, Bettega and Gentile. They also had Boniek and without a doubt the greatest European player of the early to mid 80's Michel Platini. Would have been great to have watched Aberdeen play such a great team in either the CWC final or the Super Cup knowing we would have had a half decent chance of beating them. But alas it wasn't to be.

Take a bow Lads. Fucking brilliant posts. :trophy:

Steve May in the squad for this een?

Been back in training this week.

Scored some boskers on the training field according to DM.

Mazy doon the wing, skipped over a junkie, bodyswerved a golden lab, lifted the ball over a pile of jobbies, then smashed into top corner fae 18 yards.

^^^Seaton Park. Assumed.

Sounds better than Kingsford. At least you'd get a pint in the Rowantree post training.

The reason folk are arguing with you is predominantly because of this. You state this like its a fact when its just your shite opinion.

Because he seems oblivious to the fact he's stating an opinion on something, rather than a fact.

I like to point out people's delusions so they can step back into reality.

He appears to have an air of superiority about himself, but hasn’t the intelligence, nor articulation to support it, so just looks fucking stupid.

we are having a good season (as opposed to a spectacular one). If anything the league cup defeat to Motherwell was the main fk up. If we'd beaten Celtic once and Sevco once, we'd be 2 pts off the lead and 9 ahead of the hunnery. Everyone knows we need to get over this weegie fear factor element, and that the manager needs to square up to them in his formation. Hopefully starting with the imminent Celtic game, who are in a relative form dip atm.

Anyway, looking fwd to tomorrow. Hoping for a Chidi start and our captain at LB. Arnason & Mckenna in defence purrrlease. The rest of the line up picks itself atm. Would like to see a fit Stevie May on in the second half. Surely he can benefit from McGinn as much as Rooney is.

I couldnt give a fuck who you are or are not.

What you are is a fucking shite addition to this forum.

DYA.

On topic, out.

We will win by two goals.

Rooney and Christie to score.

Crowd will be 11,250.

Oh precious

The reason folk are arguing with you is predominantly because of this. You state this like its a fact when its just your shite opinion.

how have ai stated it as fact. Maybe you feel my opinion is close to the bone of fact & you don't like it but it is still just my opinion.

We have been great & I like that we have done well under hard times for others. Would have been nice to have really taken advantage though & beaten all the shit in the cups also & given Celtic more than one scare in a cup game. Maybe this season

Because he seems oblivious to the fact he's stating an opinion on something, rather than a fact.

I like to point out people's delusions so they can step back into reality.

You are only pointing out your own delusions by implying you are not in denial that we have had an easier run & taken good advantage but have still been shit in the bigger games.

Boils down to you & others are really pissed off with what I am saying because the truth hurts & you feel it take a little gloss from our team & what we have done. It doesn't take any away from the side for me because I accept that the team has been the way it has.