Coronavirus

Henry

18 minutes ago, tutankamun said:

But with case numbers / infection rates dropping, vaccine doses increasing, by mid April the whole of Scotland could be at least in level 1, even with the stricter criteria.

No chance we will be allowed in to level 1 straight away. At least 3 weeks in level 3 across the board as an act of caution. 

3 minutes ago, NEM said:

Overall the UK is miles ahead of the EU with the vaccination program.

For single doses, yes, the worry being that the rules in place will stay until we've got a much larger percentage of the population fully vaccinated, right now we are lagging behind there.

So whats the roadmap out of the tiers system look like? Tier 0 still has some restrictions right?

Its about time the govement just put their faith in the vaccines that we're being told on a daily basis are giving a good level of protection to those most susceptible. Variant strains are part of the natural process and entirely predictable. You can't hide from them, but you can control them which is the course of action we have to follow. Of course we want to supress it as much as we can and im prepared to ride this out for a couple more months to do that but we need to start preparing to live with it and not throw the country into chaos everytime a handful of people pitch up with new variants. The vaccines should offer some protection while we set about updating them to account for the newer, more virulent strains.

We cant be hitting the pause button every time the numbers fluctuate now. We can't save every life that catches covid, vaccine or no. The mindset has to be more toward acceptance and ensuring the vaccines we do have are as effective as they ever can be.

1 minute ago, thedandydon said:

So whats the roadmap out of the tiers system look like? Tier 0 still has some restrictions right?

Its about time the govement just put their faith in the vaccines that we're being told on a daily basis are giving a good level of protection to those most susceptible. Variant strains are part of the natural process and entirely predictable. You can't hide from them, but you can control them which is the course of action we have to follow. Of course we want to supress it as much as we can and im prepared to ride this out for a couple more months to do that but we need to start preparing to live with it and not throw the country into chaos everytime a handful of people pitch up with new variants. The vaccines should offer some protection while we set about updating them to account for the newer, more virulent strains.

We cant be hitting the pause button every time the numbers fluctuate now. We can't save every life that catches covid, vaccine or no. The mindset has to be more toward acceptance and ensuring the vaccines we do have are as effective as they ever can be.

This is pretty much where I am. I think it is where the governments are too tbh.

9 minutes ago, thedandydon said:

Isle of Man going into 3 week 'circuit breaker' 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-56245100

43 minutes ago, tutankamun said:

Isle of Man going into 3 week 'circuit breaker' 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-56245100

These British Islands have been in and out of restictions for months but have had the luxury of periods without masks, pubs open etc when they get things under control. Assume the vaccines are still being rolled out in much the same way as the rest of the country so seems sensible while this ongoing. Once they have the population vaccinated though, would be a self-defeating strategy to carry on.

18 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Genuine question Parky, what do make make of the "close to zero" level zero chat? I read that as permanent restrictions. 

I don't think there will be permanent restrictions like you do. Once we're all vaccinated and they've developed faith that vaccines will deal with new strains, that new strains are being identified and that infections are being traced, I think we'll be broadly normal. 

5 minutes ago, NEM said:

Not sure I agree the Scottish government are thinking along those lines 

Fair doos. I think they're taking the "under promise, over deliver" view. While the UK Government are being openly ambitious. The details of their exit plans published by the two governments last week were broadly similar. 

Yet one is being reported as "90,000 at Wembley on June 21st!" While the other is being reported as "restrictions forever!" 

Too many folk are too keen to jump to the extreme positions imo. 

5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I don't think there will be permanent restrictions like you do. Once we're all vaccinated and they've developed faith that vaccines will deal with new strains, that new strains are being identified and that infections are being traced, I think we'll be broadly normal. 

Fair doos. I think they're taking the "under promise, over deliver" view. While the UK Government are being openly ambitious. The details of their exit plans published by the two governments last week were broadly similar. 

Yet one is being reported as "90,000 at Wembley on June 21st!" While the other is being reported as "restrictions forever!" 

Possibly but tightening up restrictions between tiers from last year when we didn't have a vaccine hardly inspires confidence that they're in a rush to "get back to normal"

10 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I'd probably rather have a government that under promises and over delivers. Than one that over promises and fails to deliver. 

1 hour ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Whilst there is a need for a tiering system there will be restrictions .

Obviously Hanzo, that's what a tiering system is, restrictions. My question is about getting out of it. It looks like she wants zero covid before restrictions are lifted and more expert people than me are saying that we've missed the boat on that, it's not possible. This leads me to think even more strongly that we'll never be rid of restrictions. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Sounds fair enough but 'broadly normal' isn't normal. If we have contact tracing we'll have businesses closed, people quarantined, local lockdowns. I doubt there will ever be a politician that will lift the mask/social distancing regulations because who want to potentially be blamed for deaths? 

4 hours ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

I thought it couldn't get much worse until I read this.....

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/pal-scot-forced-quarantine-hotel-23577081

Nicola Sturgeon and Michael Matheson should hang their deplorable heads in shame for not intervening in this case. Fucking shame on them both.

I feel heart sorry for the sister of the Deceased. Absolutely disgusting and disgraceful way to treat a fellow human being in times of a family bereavement. 

The Mrs gran is teetering on the edge and her aunt who lives abroad might have to experience this if the old dear passes anytime soon. 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Reports going about that the EU are likely to roll out vaccine passports. Being discussed at present with Spain and Greece extremely keen in order to boost their tourism industries. 

Think it was mentioned back in April last year by some conspiracy nuts.  Ach well they can tick off another box.