Coronavirus

Henry

51 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

In a few months? Name the disease.

I never said in a few months, no. Your post says "what a load of shit this vaccine chat is", are you only referring to this initial batch and believe it'll be refined and improved (as I said above about other vaccines) and become more effective? Or was your post about a vaccine in perpetuity? 

11 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I never said in a few months, no. Your post says "what a load of shit this vaccine chat is", are you only referring to this initial batch and believe it'll be refined and improved (as I said above about other vaccines) and become more effective? Or was your post about a vaccine in perpetuity? 

I mean the chat that we'll be free of restrictions next year because of the vaccine. We won't. Maybe in a few years. 

53 minutes ago, Ohjimmyjimmy said:

From the trials of ~21k participants it was 52% efficacy after 1 dose - increasing to 95% after the second dose.

The way they measured that is dodgy imo. Did it take into account other measures taken by the vaccine group and the placebo group? I'm presuming both groups followed all precautions, makes you wonder how any of the participants caught it at all. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

They maybe have, I've not got a clue about that. 

No one claimed they're 100% effective though, so saying they're a lot of shit because someone got Covid after 1/2 a vaccine doesn't make sense. 

I'm saying it's a lot of shit because it won't change anything anywhere near as quickly as is being claimed. 

11 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

The way they measured that is dodgy imo. Did it take into account other measures taken by the vaccine group and the placebo group? I'm presuming both groups followed all precautions, makes you wonder how any of the participants caught it at all. 

I’ve got no idea, you’d have to read the paper in the BMJ - I’m sure it’ll go into the details of the trial.

It’s been peer reviewed and I’m sure heavily scrutinised so that’s good enough for me unless any experts on here have a different view with similar credentials .

11 minutes ago, Ohjimmyjimmy said:

I’ve got no idea, you’d have to read the paper in the BMJ - I’m sure it’ll go into the details of the trial.

It’s been peer reviewed and I’m sure heavily scrutinised so that’s good enough for me unless any experts on here have a different view with similar credentials .

No harm in asking questions OJJ.

You could've just left it at "I've no idea" the rest of your reply is just waffle. 

1 minute ago, Ohjimmyjimmy said:

You ask questions with no interest in finding out the answer.

The rest of the post points out where you might find the answer, unless of course anyone else on here knows better.

Ultimately no one knows how effective the vaccine is yet. Might turn out to be 100% effective at preventing serious illness. 

Like I've said before it's all guesswork. 

26 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Ultimately no one knows how effective the vaccine is yet. Might turn out to be 100% effective at preventing serious illness. 

It wasn't tested on immuno- suppressed people. 

they may explode. Or worse yet, start a business in westhill and become really bad at pleasuring women 

• Haha 1
44 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

It's not "all guesswork" though. The results of large scale scientific trials aren't "all guesswork". 

Just now, Parklife said:

No but they haven't "guessed", they've carried out a large scale study and are basing they're efficacy rates on those  

The two options aren't "guess" or "know 100% for certain", as you well know. 

So there is an element of guesswork, as YOU well know. 

The can't know how effective it is. It's impossible at this stage, it's as simple as that. 

• Upvote 1

Its well known that the flu vaccine is only 48-52% effective.  So god knows what the actual effectiveness of this one will be.  As others have said time will tell i guess.  The nibs at Westminster put a bill in to extend lockdown right up to 31st of March as they were only covered till end of Feb.  So i'd say we are looking at a long couple of months if Scotland follow suit

5 minutes ago, jamiesd said:

Its well known that the flu vaccine is only 48-52% effective.  So god knows what the actual effectiveness of this one will be.  As others have said time will tell i guess.  The nibs at Westminster put a bill in to extend lockdown right up to 31st of March as they were only covered till end of Feb.  So i'd say we are looking at a long couple of months if Scotland follow suit

And that effectiveness is only on the strain it's designed for. It's been as low as 10 - 15% effective overall. 

95% this one though.