Coronavirus

Henry

3 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Being honest, I'll take the vaccine if it means a return to normality.  

If after the vaccine is rolled out to the masses and we still get hit with further or ongoing restrictions, I and I would imagine most will tell the establishment to poke it.

I'll take the fucking thing as well. Anything to get this pish over with. No way it'll see the end of restrictions next year. 

1 hour ago, Quagmire said:

Titties your vote for this years in jeopardy if you don't stop moaning about this vaccine. Who cares how effective it is, its currently your best chance of getting a pint of the black stuff with your old pals. Bit of positively wouldn't go a miss, sunshine. 

I know man, I know. Just find all the chat about 'normality' hard to listen to when I strongly suspect it's all bullshit though. 

Point taken onboard though, I'll shut my yap. 

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

Looks like construction and click and collect are next on the hit list to be shut down.

I see a woman's body has been found in a car at Countesswells forest.

Another victim who has just had enough by the look of it.

Surely not when certain intellectuals have made the industry sustainable during its most darkest days over the past 10 months with their problem solving, analytical and contingency skills as well as hard graft?

3 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Surely not when certain intellectuals have made the industry sustainable during its most darkest days over the past 10 months with their problem solving, analytical and contingency skills as well as hard graft?

You love having sad wee digs at me, don't you? 

7 hours ago, Ohjimmyjimmy said:

From the trials of ~21k participants it was 52% efficacy after 1 dose - increasing to 95% after the second dose.

Did the participants all receive what they were led to believe was the actual vaccination or did some receive a placebo? 

I'm intrigued as generally with trials of new medicines or treatments, a certain number of participants are given placebos in order to assess their reactionary behaviour to what they believe was the actual medicine or treatment. 

Just now, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Did the participants all receive what they were led to believe was the actual vaccination or did some receive a placebo? 

I'm intrigued as generally with trials of new medicines or treatments, a certain number of participants are given placebos in order to assess their reactionary behaviour to what they believe was the actual medicine or treatment. 

The total trial involved 42k participants, so half given the vaccine - half given the placebo.

The results are for the half that had the vaccine, I’m sure there are stats on those in the placebo group on how many subsequently contracted the virus.

3 minutes ago, Ohjimmyjimmy said:

The total trial involved 42k participants, so half given the vaccine - half given the placebo.

The results are for the half that had the vaccine, I’m sure there are stats on those in the placebo group on how many subsequently contracted the virus.

I'm sure it was as simple as 100 in the placebo group caught it but only 30 in the vaccine group so it 70% effective. 

Seems incredibly simplistic to me but that appears to be how it's worked out. 

6 minutes ago, Ohjimmyjimmy said:

Cheers for the clarification, OJJ. I just haven't read about the participants who received the placebo and how they reacted to it psychologically and biologically. 

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4826

Some of the stats for both groups are here.

What I think would be more interesting is if they continue to monitor the trial group to see how many hospitalisations and ultimately deaths there are in the vaccine group.

Who gives a shit on whether you have a positive test or not if what we really care about is people getting seriously ill from it. In my mind, cases are only important now as they show the rates of increase in transmission and if left unchecked we get the corresponding increases in serious illness, hospitalisation and deaths.

38 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

No dig intended min. I am just very interested to assess and determine how other people get on in life in terms of employment/unemployment, relationships and other personal concepts (e.g. having a house in their own right). A sociological study. 

There was a dig intended. Own it. 

23 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

You're interested in sociology. I'm more interested in psychology. What did you mean by referring to him as an intellectual?

I have my own theory on this but in your own words, off the top of your head, where did your reference come from?

The lad comes across as a very learned, educated individual who has studied his areas of intellect I presume via either educational establishments, Open University, or self-self-learning.

How he progresses and consolidates what he ascertains and possesses in terms of employment and other social aspects is of great interest (something I do on a daily basis with all humans), as it is something I have been a failure of somewhat, although I will continue to endeavour until the day I die.

Hats off to Parklife I say?.