January 2021

anyone got a definitive answer for me if wright is available for free or not? 

Because if the answer is not then 100% i'd rather have £400k than Scott Wright. 

In his ten+ years at the club he's never improved since the dazzling debut v Riga and he's only managed about 30 games

1 minute ago, Tord31 said:

In his ten+ years at the club he's never improved since the dazzling debut v Riga and he's only managed about 30 games

I'm not that bothered if Wright goes. But I am bothered if we don't bring in another creative player to replace him as we're not exactly blessed with many. 

5 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Not definitive, but IMO, as he’s under 24 when his contract expires, we’d be entitled to cross-border compensation assuming its England. 

28 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Not definitive, but IMO, as he’s under 24 when his contract expires, we’d be entitled to cross-border compensation assuming its England. 

If so then I think id rather have the money. I'll actually be quite surprised that someone wants to buy him

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Didn't sevco get Aribo for fuck all which totally pissed off the Charlton manager who wanted him to go to another English club as that way they would have received a compensation fee? Similar how we had to pay Hamilton £250k for Ferguson?

So cross border signings don't attract this fee....Wright could go to anywhere outwith Scotland and we don't get a penny?

6 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Didn't sevco get Aribo for fuck all which totally pissed off the Charlton manager who wanted him to go to another English club as that way they would have received a compensation fee? Similar how we had to pay Hamilton £250k for Ferguson?

So cross border signings don't attract this fee....Wright could go to anywhere outwith Scotland and we don't get a penny?

Aribo cost the huns £300k in cross-border training compensation or some other bollocks term. 

2 hours ago, Tord31 said:

he's 24 in early August so its likely any club would sign him on a precontract to join then after that date, if they want him earlier for preseason training its likely they would just offer a very minimal amount on the basis that they would know we are likely to lose him for nothing in august so anything would be better than nothing before that.

Maybe offer us 5% of any future transfer fee or something along those lines.

now that Motherwell have got Graham Alexander in as manager we could persuade him to take Funso Ojo off our hands, He was the man who brought him to brittish football and the manger who he had a good first season under when Scunny got into the play offs.

He was talking him up in this article. https://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scunthorpe-united-manager-graham-alexander-906897

Surely a straight swap for Allan Campbell would be a fair deal! ?

Get Ethan Ross recalled now and let Wright either go for a small fee or play a bit part. 

This window won’t take shape till later on. Strange keeping Edmondson as he has literally been given no chance since he scored two vs Hamilton, so I’d be surprised if Leeds leave him with us or if he even wants to stay, when he sees two guys playing ahead of him who can’t control a ball. 

Ross Stewart is a non starter in this window unless he forces a move through by sounds of it from John Hughes. 

Watkins still worth the punt if he can be fit and ready by February/March. Maybe a permanent deal.

GMS is a decent enough option but I’d rather see us signing younger and more sell on value potential flair players. 

Alan Campbell would be a Shinnie type free signing albeit a fee would be paid in compo. Excellent player at this level and good potential sell on value. Will have lots of interest. 

Brophy - I would of liked him as part of the squad but he will be St Mirrens top earner now and a 3 year deal for a guy with a poor scoring record in the last year. It’s not that we can’t match their offer, it’s just he’s not worth to us hibs or hearts what he’s worth to St Mirren. 

Plenty other players on free transfers or pre contracts available who would improve the squad.

Cosgrove to either Stoke or Nottm Forest for just over £2m.

Stewart from County for £200k, GMS to return + Campbell from Motherwell on pre-contract.

Work on improving defence probably ongoing but unlikely to be resolved this window barring a last minute loan signing.

Note - the above is pure speculation on my part but entirely plausible ?

22 minutes ago, Woody21 said:

Stewart from County for £200k, GMS to return + Campbell from Motherwell on pre-contract.

Work on improving defence probably ongoing but unlikely to be resolved this window barring a last minute loan signing.

You’d then be left with Stewart & Main as your strikers?

Cosgrove “away”, as is the Leeds donkey this month.

16 minutes ago, Woody21 said:

I'd say the fact that we are looking to extend Edmondson's loan indicates that Stewart won't be coming in during this window., even if Cosgrove is sold.  Foreby that....Stewart has 5 months left on his contract. With the best will in the world his value now for a cash sale is nowhere near £200k. It's £50k at most......and County would rather keep him and try to stay in the SPL which is worth a lot more to them than that figure.

I couldn't argue with your potential destinations for Cosgrove. I'd hope we would hold out for £2.5m and insist on some high paying, achievable add ons.

The defence, unless we have another one suffer another long term injury, is ok to run with until summer. Even with Devlin very unlikely to play for us again, Leigh provides emergency cover now that he has extended his contract until summer.

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Stoke just off the play off spots in the Championship, do they really need Cosgrove at this point? If they are looking for a striker I'd assume they'd want someone who would have the potential to play in the Premier. 

They were interested a year ago. Of course they got off to a horrendous start that meant that promotion was never on the cards and survival in the Championship was their only goal last season but putting that aside they would still have been expecting to improve this season and be there or thereabouts for a play-off position at least. Cosgrove certainly would never be a starter in the EPL but he wouldn't be a bad option to have to throw on for 15-20 minutes when you need a goal.

27 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

They were interested a year ago. Of course they got off to a horrendous start that meant that promotion was never on the cards and survival in the Championship was their only goal last season but putting that aside they would still have been expecting to improve this season and be there or thereabouts for a play-off position at least. Cosgrove certainly would never be a starter in the EPL but he wouldn't be a bad option to have to throw on for 15-20 minutes when you need a goal.

We have very different views on certain players.  Leigh and Cosgrove being the two most obvious ones. 

I know the English Premier League is over rated hugely but Cosgrove a potential Premier League player?  He can't even get in our team on a consistent basis. 

1 hour ago, Woody21 said:

Lolz 

GMS going to Hearts apparently.

According to Anthony Joseph on Twitter:

Gary Mackay-Steven will undergo a medical with Hearts today

A two and a half year deal is on offer, following his release from NYC

He initially held talks with former club Aberdeen, but they say no-one will be coming in this window due to finances

Last part is not surprising. I'm not sure how Hearts can afford to get him in and we can't though.  

5 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

GMS going to Hearts apparently.

According to Anthony Joseph on Twitter:

Last part is not surprising. I'm not sure how Hearts can afford to get him in and we can't though.  

Hmm is this a case of us not wanting him enough, or we are struggling for spare cash, as we have committed wages on shite like Ojo and Kennedy.