January 2021

Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye. 

I wonder if we offered GMS something from the summer too? 

That was always my stance on him....right now there was no room in the squad for him and the budgets were too tight to bring in another player in an area of the team where we are well covered. But in summer, with McGinn likely gone, Wright looking like he could be and McLennan still not having been offered an extension that we know of.....there would then have been room to bring him in. McGinn and McLennan's wage combined would have likely been what GMS was looking for.

3 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

This is the perfect time to shift out the dross and batten down the hatches and if need be rely on youth. European travel next season will be a nightmare with COVID-19 and Brexit. Miss out and we will likely save money 

Nothing would please me more than to see a batch of youngsters break into the team. 

Do we have a good batch just now in the unders? 

2 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

This is the perfect time to shift out the dross and batten down the hatches and if need be rely on youth. European travel next season will be a nightmare with COVID-19 and Brexit. Miss out and we will likely save money 

You can fuck off back to swallow swallow any time you like....

• Downvote 1
2 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

Wow

3 posts (all today) since you joined a tad over 2 years ago. Telling us to "shift out the dross".....so by that it would mean paying up a chunk of the squad.....who knows how many you mean.......the full amount of their contracts and running with youth team players in their place. We probably have (just) enough points in the bag already that automatic relegation wouldn't be an issue. But it would certainly mean finishing bottom 6, more likely bottom 4.

And then you follow up by saying that Europe would cost us money.....just at the point when finishing third gets us our best shot at a decent run in Europe, including the group stages if not of the Europa League, then certainly this new 3rd tier competition that starts next season.

It's all just a bit....what's the word......whiffy?? to me

Just now, Ten Caat said:

3 posts (all today) since you joined a tad over 2 years ago. Telling us to "shift out the dross".....so by that it would mean paying up a chunk of the squad.....who knows how many you mean.......the full amount of their contracts and running with youth team players in their place. We probably have (just) enough points in the bag already that automatic relegation wouldn't be an issue. But it would certainly mean finishing bottom 6, more likely bottom 4.

And then you follow up by saying that Europe would cost us money.....just at the point when finishing third gets us our best shot at a decent run in Europe, including the group stages if not of the Europa League, then certainly this new 3rd tier competition that starts next season.

I haven’t posted rightly in a while since we had the issues while moving over platforms, but posted a lot before that!!

we have definitely enough to rightly finish 3rd but my point was even if something did happen, European football next season may not be the golden challis it once was.

4 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Plus my post did not say pay anyone off! That is your interpretation 

Just now, The Gee Man said:

Run down contract till summer, advise they are not in plans and if they can find other options we will facilitate move. My point was too not put our bottom line under any more strain. 

Well if they are "dross" it's unlikely that another team will want them even on a free....and certainly not on the wages we pay. There are a good number of our squad going out of contract in summer as you say....the only one so far we have extended is Consi who triggered an extension clause in his contract. I suspect that more than 50% will get released and we will go with a smaller squad next season.

But if we are paying them till summer then we surely utilise them until that point? I cannot think of one single youth player who is first-ream ready at this point (other than one or 2 getting 20 minute run outs max in games where we are comfortable) and not even likely to be so by the start of next season. 

2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Except McInnes has now admitted we were in for Brophy.  

And I'd be shocked if we didn't try for GMS though that hasn't came out yet, admittedly. 

I wouldn't believe anything McInnes says during a transfer window. 

Maybe McInnes meant he approached the board (our board) about Brophy & negotiated told nit.

2 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Well if they are "dross" it's unlikely that another team will want them even on a free....and certainly not on the wages we pay. There are a good number of our squad going out of contract in summer as you say....the only one so far we have extended is Consi who triggered an extension clause in his contract. I suspect that more than 50% will get released and we will go with a smaller squad next season.

But if we are paying them till summer then we surely utilise them until that point? I cannot think of one single youth player who is first-ream ready at this point (other than one or 2 getting 20 minute run outs max in games where we are comfortable) and not even likely to be so by the start of next season. 

Thank you for your opinion on my post ?

Just now, The Gee Man said:

Thank you for your opinion on my post ?

Your point was fine. 

Clear out the deadwood in the summer and give youth more opportunities is exactly what a club like Aberdeen should be doing.  It's pointless having senior players that you don't trust and are rarely likely to use warming the bench.  

I'm not up to speed with the youth squad like some on here so I don't know if there's any prospects ready to come through but they should be getting the opportunities that the likes of Leigh and Edmondson are getting.

6 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Nope. Watch this space. All parties happy with deal apparently 

Leaving us with Cosgrove and Anderson till the summer as our only striking options? 

A pre-contract with them I could absolutely believe but not letting him leave right now, especially with what McInnes said yesterday

1 minute ago, Ten Caat said:

Leaving us with Cosgrove and Anderson till the summer as our only striking options? 

A pre-contract with them I could absolutely believe but not letting him leave right now, especially with what McInnes said yesterday

I’d assume we have a loan signing lined up/planned but I am only relaying the thing I heard is practically confirmed.

1 minute ago, Wester Hailes Skins said:

If it helps you consider this, I know an agent and he says a rough rule of thumb to get someone off the books is the club needs to pay 60% of all monies that would be earned on the contract by staying til its end, in one lump sum. 

Or 3p in the £1 in Hearts case

5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He'd let him go if he was allowed to bring someone else in though. 

I reckon any expected interest in Cosgrove has disappeared leaving us in a position where we can't do anything this window. 

Well yes. But if that replacement was Edmondson on a further 6 month loan.........

I still think that Cosgrove's demeanour (when he gets on) says that he knows there's at least one club that want him now though. 

Either way......Mcinnes was adamant yesterday no one was coming in this window. No matter what circumstances it happens under.....if somebody does come in McInnes either looks like a liar or a total bellend (or both) depending on your personal view

4 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Well yes. But if that replacement was Edmondson on a further 6 month loan.........

I still think that Cosgrove's demeanour (when he gets on) says that he knows there's at least one club that want him now though. 

Either way......Mcinnes was adamant yesterday no one was coming in this window. No matter what circumstances it happens under.....if somebody does come in McInnes either looks like a liar or a total bellend (or both) depending on your personal view

McInnes has never told the truth in any transfer window though TC.  Its folly to believe anything, its all a smokescreen