Welcome back Stephen Glass

23 minutes ago, Sheeptastic said:

He mentions Cormack's Scottish Championship comparison in the column. 

I used to watch the MLS and USL a lot a few years back. The former is a strange one because of the gulf in quality you see even in the same team, but overall the standard of play is certainly not worse than the Premiership. Some teams would beat most of the top flight here. 

I think the USL-Scottish Championship comparison is fair from what I saw, although it's been a few years since I've consistently watched it. Would imagine it has improved since then though. 

It's hard to compare as the MLS is improving Year on Year where the SPFL is getting poorer. The football played in MLS is completely different also, you can see the players are coached to play short passing and a lot of them are playing a high press these days. In Scotland and particularly us you struggle to see what they are being coached as the games are so broken up and hurried and Possession is given away so easily. I think Glass will get a bit of a culture shock coming here 

1 hour ago, Sheepo said:

It's hard to compare as the MLS is improving Year on Year where the SPFL is getting poorer. The football played in MLS is completely different also, you can see the players are coached to play short passing and a lot of them are playing a high press these days. In Scotland and particularly us you struggle to see what they are being coached as the games are so broken up and hurried and Possession is given away so easily. I think Glass will get a bit of a culture shock coming here 

I think he must know what to expect. As he said, he's watched pretty much all of the games this season and he seems fairly switched on, so chances are he will know how agricultural the football is here. 

The culture shock I reckon would depend on whether the players embrace his ideas or are resistant to it. This is where the personnel is key, which is something he mentioned in the podcast with Steven Caldwell. You need senior players who buy into what you're trying to do (Scott Brown) who can then bring others along with them. Glass was one of those senior players when Mowbray arrived at Hibs and he was relied upon to do that. 

He's coming across from a different football environment but I feel like a lot of us are forgetting he will know Scottish football, its pitfalls and potential. I'm not sure if he'll succeed but he's got a chance if he gets certain key decisions right, particularly in recruitment. 

3 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Battering someone and doing the time= Defending a proven racist

The typical false equivalency you expect from many on here. Crack on lads.

Well it just depends what offends you. It’s a bit fucked up if you’re happy to accept an ex violent criminal with open arms but can’t tolerate a man who said some words (backing his team mate at the time) 

Guest milne_afc
5 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Battering someone and doing the time

Not quite, he’s still in his rehabilitation period and will be for a few years yet.

3 minutes ago, Sheeptastic said:

I think he must know what to expect. As he said, he's watched pretty much all of the games this season and he seems fairly switched on, so chances are he will know how agricultural the football is here. 

The culture shock I reckon would depend on whether the players embrace his ideas or are resistant to it. This is where the personnel is key, which is something he mentioned in the podcast with Steven Caldwell. You need senior players who buy into what you're trying to do (Scott Brown) who can then bring others along with them. Glass was one of those senior players when Mowbray arrived at Hibs and he was relied upon to do that. 

He's coming across from a different football environment but I feel like a lot of us are forgetting he will know Scottish football, its pitfalls and potential. I'm not sure if he'll succeed but he's got a chance if he gets certain key decisions right, particularly in recruitment. 

Your comment about personnel is key.

No point in passing out from the back of you have Taylor & Considine at centre half (or even Lewis as goalie, whose useless with the ball at his feet).

At Celtic, Brown almost played as a 3rd centre half sometimes & started play a lot for Celtic, I’d imagine that’ll be used. 

But you need players around him to be comfortable taking the ball to feet in tight situations too though. We don’t have many of them just now. 

18 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

Well it just depends what offends you. It’s a bit fucked up if you’re happy to accept an ex violent criminal with open arms but can’t tolerate a man who said some words (backing his team mate at the time) 

I think people make mistakes. I accept that. 

I don't accept a lack of accountability. Gallagher spoken at length about what went down, and clearly regrets it. 

Nae so sure about your hero Broonzer

19 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

Not quite, he’s still in his rehabilitation period and will be for a few years yet.

Good luck to him. He's done well to come back after a mistake. 

52 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Your comment about personnel is key.

No point in passing out from the back of you have Taylor & Considine at centre half (or even Lewis as goalie, whose useless with the ball at his feet).

At Celtic, Brown almost played as a 3rd centre half sometimes & started play a lot for Celtic, I’d imagine that’ll be used. 

But you need players around him to be comfortable taking the ball to feet in tight situations too though. We don’t have many of them just now. 

Hope we don't try to pass it out from the back on all occasions. I get nervous when I see Barca or Juve doing that, never mind us.

18 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Just wait until Leigh Griffiths rocks up. 

Complete meltdowns then. 

Also apologised and took his medicine for what he said/did. Ultimately, an uneducated wee idiot who didn't understand the weight of what he was saying. Apologised, was fined and banned as well I believe? 

Accountability is the clear factor here. 

1 hour ago, Sheeptastic said:

I think his biggest issue will be the mess he inherits. I really get his point about senior players and it is very relevant if you intend to have some Young players in the team, the problem we have is we have no senior players with any kind of personality or nastiness about them. Lewis, Hayes or Considine are hardly going to get Youngsters inspired. I think Dean Campbell has suffered a bit because of this. Hopefully Brown and Gallagher if he signs can start to change this

17 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Also apologised and took his medicine for what he said/did. Ultimately, an uneducated wee idiot who didn't understand the weight of what he was saying. Apologised, was fined and banned as well I believe? 

Accountability is the clear factor here. 

Would you rather have a baseball bat wrapped round your heed with the perpetrator apologising afterwards or someone call you a name then refusing to say sorry?

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, NEM said:

Was it for saying something bad?   That'd be the wet wipe supporters club wet dream

Murder or violent crime is OK as long as they serve their time and show remorse. 

But if they once said that their missus was a bit grumpy during her period and haven't clarified their comments since then we've got a problem. 

• Haha 3
Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

Murder or violent crime is OK as long as they serve their time and show remorse. 

But if they once said that their missus was a bit grumpy during her period and haven't clarified their comments since then we've got a problem. 

DID YOU JUST ASSUME MEN CAN'T HAVE PERIODS!!!!!!!!

• Haha 3
4 minutes ago, NEM said:

Would you rather have a baseball bat wrapped round your heed with the perpetrator apologising afterwards or someone call you a name then refusing to say sorry?

Well, I'm white. So, fairly difficult for me to be actually racially abused. 

What if I told you my answer was that I'd prefer neither of them happened?

1 minute ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Well, I'm white. So, fairly difficult for me to be actually racially abused. 

What if I told you my answer was that I'd prefer neither of them happened?

I'm white Consi and I've been racially abused. Once. In Atlanta, coincidentally.  Was walking to my hotel minding my own business and was shouted at across the street by a group of black youths. 

30 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

Hope we don't try to pass it out from the back on all occasions. I get nervous when I see Barca or Juve doing that, never mind us.

Agree.

Whilst we do need to pass it more, not just for the sake of it & giving the opposition needless chances or goals. 

We certainly can’t attempt it with the current team, but most of the defence will be gone anyway. 

I think McCrorie might end up at centre half (if Ferguson stays).