Ukraine

Ke1t

12 hours ago, Poodler said:

Haha bizarre thing to put in a press release if they’re a serious company 

EATR robots were designed to use 'biomass' to keep themselves fueled as they tear up the battlefield, killing everything that lives. 

Ostensibly they'd be using vegetation for their fuel, but battlefields tend to be full of corpses, and meat offers more energy than plants, so there's no way the military is going to be telling their killer robots to go find carrots when there's shit-tons of delicious meat all around. 

Also, it carries a chainsaw around with it. 

For chopping vegetables, you understand. 

20 hours ago, Sooper-hanz said:

I may have mentioned this before but my gran despised the Japs with a real venom. She almost made her peace with the jerrys but yer Jap? No way . Said they were ‘sadistic bastards’and that was the only time I heard her swear. 

Aye, my old man had a rust bucket Datsun as well.

Europe vowing to wean themselves off Russian oil and gas by 2027.?

In other words, we're going to continue to use it and hopefully in a year or three Putin will be replaced and we can forget we ever said anything in the first place. We all want Putin stopped, well depending on how much it costs.

1 hour ago, RedArmyFakshun said:

Today's UN Security Council meeting: Threats to international peace and security.

Russia puts forward its case that the US has been funding/conducting dangerous pathogen research in Ukraine.

https://media.un.org/en/asset/k16/k16nsx50dm

UN rejects baseless Russian claim that Ukraine has a bioweapons programme. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/3/11/un-says-not-aware-of-biological-weapons-programme-in-ukraine

1 hour ago, RedArmyFakshun said:

US envoy to UN rejects Moscow’s unproven claims that Ukraine is operating biological weapons labs with US support

well fancy that

Like the great Christopher Hitchens once said, that which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

22 minutes ago, RedArmyFakshun said:

ah yes..  the world famous drink-sodden ex-Trotskyist popinjay

Even drink-sodden his mind was sharper than every last one of his opponents. 

You know, it's telling that one would attack his vices rather than his arguments, though. 

spacer.png

I understand.

Conspiracy theories don’t require any critical thinking skills. Once debunked, the conspiracy theorist can either become more entrenched or move on to the next conspiracy.

The media is a good bogeyman for conspiracy theories though. There is no shortage of news and media out there, some reliable much more less so for the conspiracy theorist to latch onto and feed their latest conspiracy. Confirmation bias leads the conspiracy theorist to find one story or article that supports their position,  dismissing all others. But once debunked and confronted with multiple data points that conflict their pre-existing beliefs- it’s easy to move onto the next conspiracy, because, you know “it’s the media”. We’re seeing this now, with people giving up their “qualifications” in Epidemiology and taking up internet diplomas in International Relations and Geopolitics.

But, what would I know - I just read the BBC as my overlords want me to…

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 4
9 minutes ago, Ohjimmyjimmy said:

I understand.

Conspiracy theories don’t require any critical thinking skills. Once debunked, the conspiracy theorist can either become more entrenched or move on to the next conspiracy.

The media is a good bogeyman for conspiracy theories though. There is no shortage of news and media out there, some reliable much more less so for the conspiracy theorist to latch onto and feed their latest conspiracy. Confirmation bias leads the conspiracy theorist to find one story or article that supports their position,  dismissing all others. But once debunked and confronted with multiple data points that conflict their pre-existing beliefs- it’s easy to move onto the next conspiracy, because, you know “it’s the media”. We’re seeing this now, with people giving up their “qualifications” in Epidemiology and taking up internet diplomas in International Relations and Geopolitics.

Correct. 

Same deal with when you buy a new car. 

Hardly ever saw a Maserati until I bought one. See them all the time now. They’ve always been there. Just never noticed until I bought one. 

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Ohjimmyjimmy said:

The media is a good bogeyman for conspiracy theories though. There is no shortage of news and media out there, some reliable much more less so for the conspiracy theorist to latch onto and feed their latest conspiracy. Confirmation bias leads the conspiracy theorist to find one story or article that supports their position,  dismissing all others.

The same could be said for the complicity theorist that gets behind the sanctioned narrative as common sense, dismissing all other viewpoints as conspiracy.

For example there are multiple data points showing that 'the vaccine' to be less than trustworthy.   I don't see many complicity theorists taking a fresh view on their entrenched positions.

• Upvote 1

Its important to be able to think the unthinkable without troubling yourself over the fear of ridicule

quite possibly the situation in Ukraine has been encouraged to spiral this way and that partly in order to provide long term cover for western hyperinflation and reduction of living standards due to vast over-printing of cash for a number of years now

is that true?  doesn't matter.  things are happening. we can't say for certain that it isn't

its not that one thing is true and another isn't.  there is a lot of convergent opportunism going on

14 hours ago, RedArmyFakshun said:

I think Ramadu is referencing Napoleon's invasion of 1812 rather than Barbarossa in 1941

That's the one - originals are better than than sequels. The Russian tactic was to dance their army around avoiding battles, even to the point of giving up Moscow uncontested. Napoleon sat there confused for a few weeks, before realising he couldn't hold it, and slid off home. Smart Ruskies.

7 minutes ago, RedArmyFakshun said:

Its important to be able to think the unthinkable without troubling yourself over the fear of ridicule

quite possibly the situation in Ukraine has been encouraged to spiral this way and that partly in order to provide long term cover for western hyperinflation and reduction of living standards due to vast over-printing of cash for a number of years now

is that true?  doesn't matter.  things are happening. we can't say for certain that it isn't

its not that one thing is true and another isn't.  there is a lot of convergent opportunism going on

Thinking unfashionable thoughts on the face of ridicule: very important.

Convergent opportunism: yes, it happens.

Does it matter if things are true: yes it does. Testable predictions are the way forward, and unfortunately the 'vaccine is a scam' mob have been really poor with the predictions they made. They aren't a good source of truth.

The 'those in power are manufacturing situation X for reason Y' mob have always been around, and are similarly poor with their predictions.

1 hour ago, Ohjimmyjimmy said:

I understand.

Aye that’s one side of the coin. The other extreme is swallowing any old bullshit the proven liars in government and media feed you 

(and don’t forget to virtue signal online while doing so)