Dante Polvara

5 minutes ago, Dandys1983 said:

He wasnt great, he can't head the ball and don't do any tracking back at all. Got alot to learn for me, should have let him stay on loan and taken him back in the new year. 

Absolute nonsense. The boy is here to compete for a start every week. His attitude and application brings some competition into the midfield area and if we do bring in 3/4 players everyone will need to keep their standards up.

4 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Absolute nonsense. The boy is here to compete for a start every week. His attitude and application brings some competition into the midfield area and if we do bring in 3/4 players everyone will need to keep their standards up.

I'm all for young lads but he can't head and is scared to get stuck in, at the moment he shouldn't be starting games.

2 hours ago, Bamber said:

his only is there are 3 playing in the same position - we need a sitter a ball winner filling the gaps our back 3 leave. He is in for clarkson on our Sundays after Europe - we will get nothing with Shinnie clarkson and Polvara as a three as they all want to do the same thing. He did more than ok, definate pass marks but something needs to give in our three 

Not sure they all do the same thing. Clarkson is the guy to create through his passing and vision. Shinnie is box to box, little bit of everything. Not sure what Polvara is yet. He played in front of those 2 today which should mean he's the one with an eye for goal but he doesn't look that type of player to me.

Agree for some games we need someone who will break-up play, help the defense and add a bit of grit. Basically Ramadani. Games against better opposition is probably where we need that help for Shinnie. Against a lot of our league opponents I'd prefer us to sign an attacking midfielder. Someone to sit behind Duk and Mio who can score or play them in. I think Vinnie could do that job but there's obviously an issue there.

But yeah, sign 2 midfielders and have Polvara as back up but keep giving him minutes to improve

19 minutes ago, Dandys1983 said:

I'm all for young lads but he can't head and is scared to get stuck in, at the moment he shouldn't be starting games.

Barron has shown he wants away and has been terrible. That’s the only other real option so I’m happy for Polvara to start until we get reinforcements then see how we are. I want him to get a proper chance as I think he deserves it.

14 minutes ago, Dandys1983 said:

He's not good enough and hopefully replaced in coming weeks. 

Shinnie was terrible and cost us today... First goal. Captain... silly.

Nothing wrong with Polvara performance up until about 65 mins when he started to tire.

I'd love to see the ground he covered today. Stats @minijc.

He handled their midfield okay. And that's the best team in the league.

I didn't see Livingston but did see most folk saying Dante was one of our better performers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Shinnie was terrible and cost us today... First goal. Captain... silly.

Nothing wrong with Polvara performance up until about 65 mins when he started to tire.

I'd love to see the ground he covered today. Stats @minijc.

He handled their midfield okay. And that's the best team in the league.

I didn't see Livingston but did see most folk saying Dante was one of our better performers.

I don't collect how much a player covers but for me it was fairly obvious we pushed Polvara higher up to instigate the press, similar to how we used Duncan against the Rangers in the win here last season.

I thought he had a good game today, he's improved a fair bit which is very encouraging.

28 minutes ago, minijc said:

I don't collect how much a player covers but for me it was fairly obvious we pushed Polvara higher up to instigate the press, similar to how we used Duncan against the Rangers in the win here last season.

I thought he had a good game today, he's improved a fair bit which is very encouraging.

I agree with everything you say- in this post.😄

2 hours ago, englishred said:

Polvara did very well today. Like having a new signing. But we still need a bit more depth. I think he'll get better with games and more experience 

An exaggeration he did very well. He was fairly anonymous the whole of the second half. He has been decent since coming back from his loan spell and will be valuable as the games start to build up.

He has all the physical attributes to be a good player, just needa to be more involved and composed at times. 

I stated two years ago he was rubbish and wouldn't make it with us. Looks like I was totally wrong and have to admit that he has got something about him that will make him a useful player for us going  forward. 

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Broken_Glass said:

An exaggeration he did very well. He was fairly anonymous the whole of the second half. He has been decent since coming back from his loan spell and will be valuable as the games start to build up.

He has all the physical attributes to be a good player, just needa to be more involved and composed at times. 

I stated two years ago he was rubbish and wouldn't make it with us. Looks like I was totally wrong and have to admit that he has got something about him that will make him a useful player for us going  forward. 

He was up against the best team in the country, one miles ahead of everyone in every department on and off the field. The fact that we are praising him today speaks volumes of how far he has come. All his recent interviews show he is up for the challenge. I think he will thrive under Robson

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

He was up against the best team in the country, one miles ahead of everyone in every department on and off the field. The fact that we are praising him today speaks volumes of how far he has come. All his recent interviews show he is up for the challenge. I think he will thrive under Robson

But ultimately an Aberdeen team with Polvara won’t win anytging. He’s not at that level. We need an outstanding midfielder, creative with pace. At moment defence is chaos so that is priority but we need better options in midfield 

• Haha 1
Just now, RUL said:

But ultimately an Aberdeen team with Polvara won’t win anytging. He’s not at that level. We need an outstanding midfielder, creative with pace. At moment defence is chaos so that is priority but we need better options in midfield 

An Aberdeen team with far better players than Polvara hasn’t won anything for almost 10 years. Why are you writing him off already? We aren’t going to get an outstanding midfielder creative with pace, it’s the Scottish premiership. We will get some of those attributes in some players like Clarkson but you are deluded if you think we can sign a player who is good at all that for our budget.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, RUL said:

I actually think Polvara has a lot of potential - this is where the coaches earn their cash, helping him realise that potential as quickly as possible. I'm really interested to see how he progresses over the course of this season - once he gets a string of games under his belt and gains confidence I think he could be really good. I think he might well go on to have a better career than someone like Connor Barron and it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up moving on for a decent transfer fee eventually. 

He won't be moving for any transfer fee unless we secure him on a new deal. With his contract currently expiring at the end of the season I think we need to act on that. Things change quickly in football and he could go from a player we wouldn't offer a new contract to one who decides he doesn't want to sign if other interest becomes apparent. Right now when hes merely shown signs of establishing himself is probably the time to open conversations. Hopefully thats already the case.     

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

An Aberdeen team with far better players than Polvara hasn’t won anything for almost 10 years. Why are you writing him off already? We aren’t going to get an outstanding midfielder creative with pace, it’s the Scottish premiership. We will get some of those attributes in some players like Clarkson but you are deluded if you think we can sign a player who is good at all that for our budget.

Our budget has significantly improved in the last 10 years so I’d like to think we can recruit better players, we’re working in different markets now. 

According to afc we were very close to landing teklic who met has the attributes I just mentioned. 

We should aspire to be better. Sounds like you’ve given up

6 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

I actually think Polvara has a lot of potential - this is where the coaches earn their cash, helping him realise that potential as quickly as possible. I'm really interested to see how he progresses over the course of this season - once he gets a string of games under his belt and gains confidence I think he could be really good. I think he might well go on to have a better career than someone like Connor Barron and it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up moving on for a decent transfer fee eventually. 

My guess is clarkson and shinnie will start every game. So we either accept the 3rd is Polvara or we bring in someone better. I think our midfield needs something different.