Dante Polvara

23 minutes ago, RUL said:

My guess is clarkson and shinnie will start every game. So we either accept the 3rd is Polvara or we bring in someone better. I think our midfield needs something different. 

Clarkson has to start most games as he is our most talented midfielder. Shinnie sort of needs to be in there as he is the one driving the team on. In all honesty though in terms of individual performance so far I think Polvara has played better. Don't think Barron is not good enough so yes we need a 4th midfielder and we can rotate those 4 for the 3 places available if everyone fit and free of suspension.  

2 hours ago, RUL said:

My guess is clarkson and shinnie will start every game. So we either accept the 3rd is Polvara or we bring in someone better. I think our midfield needs something different. 

I'm pretty sure you're correct - those 2 are the first picks - the star signing and the captain. I don't necessarily think Polvara will start every game, but I'm comfortable with him starting some of the games. I agree that we need some different options in midfield. I reckon Barron can do a similar job to Ramadani in that he gets about with a lot of energy... so perhaps he can be used in some matches, although Robson does seem fairly reluctant to use him for whatever reason - it does mean we would have a very physically small midfield 3 if he plays. The missing link is probably a creative midfielder if Clarkson is being deployed deeper. I think Besoujin could do that job but he's clearly well out of the picture and I suspect will move before the window shuts.

I wouldn't be surprised if we sign a permanent Ramadani type replacement, and bring in a youngster from EPL on loan who is more a no10 type player. That would give us decent options. 

4 hours ago, alscotoz said:

Think he's done alright in the game and a half I've seen. Technically, looks sound.

I would agree with this....although I did feel again yesterday for a guy that is pretty big in height and physique, he's still pretty lightweight. 

He also needs to learn how to make the 10 yard through ball to Duk or Miovski. Numerous times yesterday he buggered up possible chances with overhit passes or by simply passing straight to a Tim defender. 

There is potential there though, and a series of games will do him no harm. 

His volleyed cross to set up Shinnie for what should have been an equaliser (before we did equalise) was sheer class.

I agree he's not as physical in the challenge that his size would suggest he should be but as a more forward thinking midfielder, it shouldn't be an absolute priority although it can be worked on. As can his stamina, he really needed substituting after about 70 minutes as he was blowing out of his arse by that point.

If he keeps up his early season form for the next couple of months, he should be offered a contract extension.

• Upvote 1

The three midfielders rotated yesterday, sometimes the "no10" was Shinnie, sometimes Polvara, sometimes Clarkson.

With my eyes, I didn't see a tremendous performance yesterday in Polvara but I think the boy does have a bit of something about him and I want him to succeed.  The stats say he has the highest pass completion in our team but that's a pretty pitiful 68% (should be aiming for over 80%) which is more a reflection on how we're set up to play (long balls) rather than his or anyone else's ability.

35 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

The three midfielders rotated yesterday, sometimes the "no10" was Shinnie, sometimes Polvara, sometimes Clarkson.

With my eyes, I didn't see a tremendous performance yesterday in Polvara but I think the boy does have a bit of something about him and I want him to succeed.  The stats say he has the highest pass completion in our team but that's a pretty pitiful 68% (should be aiming for over 80%) which is more a reflection on how we're set up to play (long balls) rather than his or anyone else's ability.

I seem to recall Robson and Flood used to rotate along those lines as well usually with the snake sitting in as he was wont to do.  Defenders switching around then created the space for Peepaw to run into.  

• Upvote 1

He was always a technically decent player from the moment he arrived. Just needs to add that bit of bite and impose himself on the game a bit more. Definitely something there to work with though.

We need to bring in another Clarkson/Shinnie calibre CM regardless, but I'd be happy with Polvara being the first backup option as we start rotating players a bit when the European games come around (assuming Robson doesn't just run the  same starting 11 into he ground every game)

2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

His volleyed cross to set up Shinnie for what should have been an equaliser (before we did equalise) was sheer class.

I agree he's not as physical in the challenge that his size would suggest he should be but as a more forward thinking midfielder, it shouldn't be an absolute priority although it can be worked on. As can his stamina, he really needed substituting after about 70 minutes as he was blowing out of his arse by that point.

If he keeps up his early season form for the next couple of months, he should be offered a contract extension.

Is he a more forward thinking midfielder though ? Tbh, I'm still trying to work out what his place in the team is. 

He doesn't strike me as a Kenny McLean who'll ghost into the box and grab 10 goals a season. Or as the type of midfielder who'll pick up the ball on halfway then lash one in from 25 yards, a la Jim Bett. 

My fear is that he ends up as a kind of taller Dean Campbell.....the type of player who'll drift in and (mostly) out of games without us ever knowing he was there. 

Hopefully not. I do believe that a goal would do his confidence wonders. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, GeorgeStreetReds said:

Why are the club pretending this guy is a player? He’s physically weak and a complete non-entity who offers absolutely nothing. He should be nowhere near our starting 11.

I think there is a player there but again he's a footballer who suits the ball on the deck not 100ft in the air.  Don't think he was great today but certainly not the only one.  he will improve in time,  but we do need to get get someone or 2 in midfield to help the team.  There must be free agents who would take a one year deal subject to another year if we qualify for europe again.  ( only saying that as it would enable us to offer a little more in wages for a higher calibre)

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, englishred said:

I think there is a player there but again he's a footballer who suits the ball on the deck not 100ft in the air.  Don't think he was great today but certainly not the only one.  he will improve in time,  but we do need to get get someone or 2 in midfield to help the team.  There must be free agents who would take a one year deal subject to another year if we qualify for europe again.  ( only saying that as it would enable us to offer a little more in wages for a higher calibre)

Much better mentality to have than the one you quoted.  

38 minutes ago, GeorgeStreetReds said:

Why are the club pretending this guy is a player? He’s physically weak and a complete non-entity who offers absolutely nothing. He should be nowhere near our starting 11.

He's not a starting player right now, but there's no reason he isn't a squad player, and we need squad players. 

He's a handy whipping boy for when we have literally one player in the team who's playing even close to par right now, though. 

1 minute ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I’ll get slaughtered for saying it, but I don’t think Shinnie is all he’s cracked up to be. 
Effort is unquestioned, but…. 

I’ve said that since he returned in January. Was a yard off it then and still is now. Nowhere near the player that left us

Time waits for no man but he’s on a 3 yr deal FFS.

7 minutes ago, GeorgeStreetReds said:

Why would we play someone who is so weak in the tackle deeper? Players go past him like he isn’t there.

Bizarre that people still pretend he’s any use.

It would suit his game better, I agree he is weak in the tackle but Shinnie could do the bulk of that work whilst he sits and intercepts anything that goes past.  Ideally we sign someone suited to playing as a DM and used Polvara from the bench.

8 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

I’ve said that since he returned in January. Was a yard off it then and still is now. Nowhere near the player that left us

Time waits for no man but he’s on a 3 yr deal FFS.

In an ideal world he wouldn’t play every week.  
I still think he can be useful in certain games. 

But, because of the lack of alternatives he’s a first pick every week.

Hopefully we can bring in at least one good midfield player to give us another option.