Summer 2022 Transfer Window

3 hours ago, AyrshireSheep said:

He's still got 2 years left on his contract so if they do loan him out it'll be to a championship club i think. We should just pay the 500k. Maybe sounds a bit simplistic in fairness but if we want him and that's what they want then 500k is manageable. And he's a very good player so not as if we'll not get a return on investment. 

Is Ronan that good? Genuine question... I've hardly seen him play, really just in the games against us, where I never thought he was particularly outstanding. Everyone seems to be going on about him as if he's some kind of superstar because he scored a few goals for St Mirren last season. Surely we can get better value for money elsewhere if he's going to cost half a million. He's 24 and taking last season out the equation he's played 102 games and scored 3 goals in his career. 

Most of his goals were against us as well lol.

3 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Is Ronan that good? Genuine question... I've hardly seen him play, really just in the games against us, where I never thought he was particularly outstanding. Everyone seems to be going on about him as if he's some kind of superstar because he scored a few goals for St Mirren last season. Surely we can get better value for money elsewhere if he's going to cost half a million. He's 24 and taking last season out the equation he's played 102 games and scored 3 goals in his career. 

I wouldn't be in a hurry to pay £500k for Ronan personally. I've no problem with us going after him but surprised to see so many people keen for us to "just pay the fee" for him.

His club might want £500k by it looks like no one is currently prepared to pay that so why would we rush in?

We should be trying to get him for the best price we can and in the meantime pursuing other options that play in midfield.

Do we think the lack of further transfer chat is due to the club being away in the training camp and focused on matters there?

Staring to be a bit concerned they think we can replace the 15+ players we've lost with just 5 new signings.

And given how I feel about a few of the 12 or whatever it was we had left at the end of last season that's even more concerning.

8 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

He is a very good player. He ran the show against Hearts in the cup. Scored what should have been the goal of the season. I don't think he's a proper no10 though. Thwt would be my only issue with signing him. We need a Christie or Maddison type and i don't think he's it. Seems a bit more in the McLean mould to me. 

If the club seriously want him then they'll need to pay up. 

I suppose it might be worth firing a £300k bid for Ronan just to test the waters. If nothing else, even if Wolves reject it it might flush out any other clubs that might be interested, although of course then it could start a bidding war. And if there's English Championship clubs getting involved then I'd imagine we could rule ourselves out sharpish as his destination and move on to another target rather than waste our time.

However it was widely reported the other day that the Wolves manager wants to take a look at him in pre-season training before making a final decision on his future anyway.

11 minutes ago, Helmet said:

I wouldn't be in a hurry to pay £500k for Ronan personally. I've no problem with us going after him but surprised to see so many people keen for us to "just pay the fee" for him.

His club might want £500k by it looks like no one is currently prepared to pay that so why would we rush in?

We should be trying to get him for the best price we can and in the meantime pursuing other options that play in midfield.

We need creativity. I would take Ronan, but that's assuming we got someone else in. I would be appalled if Ronan was  our main creative signing.

Given what we need, £500k is a reasonable fee for the right player to solve our creatvie woes. So the fact that the club aren't willing to pay that, is giving me a bit more confidence Ronan is not our number one/main target. 

Goodwin said what he said, because he was asked - he didnt volunteer it. He needs to keep irons in the fire until our transfer activity is done. 

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Helmet said:

Do we think the lack of further transfer chat is due to the club being away in the training camp and focused on matters there?

Staring to be a bit concerned they think we can replace the 15+ players we've lost with just 5 new signings.

And given how I feel about a few of the 12 or whatever it was we had left at the end of last season that's even more concerning.

Goodwin said he wanted another 3 or 4 more. Going by the comments of lad watching the friendly in Spain we played really poorly. We need to be addressing the creativity as soon as possible. We are just over a week away from our first game and still no creative players have been brought in. 

8 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

I’m not sure how good he is. I never saw much of him to be honest. But is “taking last season out of the equation” a fair way to judge him?? Seems odd

16 minutes ago, Helmet said:

I think you can add Ferguson and Ramirez to the list of players leaving this window. I am confident we will sign at least another another 4 (possibly 5) players if those 2 go with a couple stepping up from the youth ranks to supplement the squad. We need more defensive /  midfield cover and far more attacking options. 

Not convinced about signing Ronan if a £500k fee is involved. He's a decent player but not sure half a million for him represents good value. But I guess if we get £2m+ for Ferguson we will need to replace him and if Goodwin thinks he's worth it then fair enough he knows him better than any of us do. I wouldn't want him to potentially stunt the progress of Barron and Polvara. I'd rather Barron signs a new much improved contract than sign Ronan although I accept we need squad depth. 

9 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I’m not sure how good he is. I never saw much of him to be honest. But is “taking last season out of the equation” a fair way to judge him?? Seems odd

Yeah it probably is unfair. But it does add a bit of context in that there isn't a large body of proof for Ronan. And if last season was a one off purple patch, then where does that leave us?

Even in his best ever season (last season) he only got 4 assists. That's no where near good enough, and won't dig us out of the creative hole we find ourselves in. 

9 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Yeah it probably is unfair. But it does add a bit of context in that there isn't a large body of proof for Ronan. And if last season was a one off purple patch, then where does that leave us?

Even in his best ever season (last season) he only got 4 assists. That's no where near good enough, and won't dig us out of the creative hole we find ourselves in. 

The small sample size I’ve seen I’d be happy if we didn’t sign Ronan or McGrath. Not seen much from either to suggest they are going to solve our creativity. 

We need a Ramirez replacement and a third striker if we don’t have a youth player ready to step up to first team. 

We need a creative player, a real quality player needed in this position. 

Im not sure id sign much more after that as I’m really looking forward to seeing Ngwenya, Polvara and Duncan get some good minutes this season.  

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Assists are a bit of a misleading stat though are they not. Very popular nowadays though…

what if Ronan was putting 5 chances a chance on a plate but they were all landing to Curtis Main??

I’ve not idea if he’s any good though. And 500k seems steep 

1 minute ago, slippers said:

The small sample size I’ve seen I’d be happy if we didn’t sign Ronan or McGrath. Not seen much from either to suggest they are going to solve our creativity. 

As much as I’d be happy with Ronan, I’m pretty sure £500k would get you a better player in The Netherlands, Hungary, Poland, Scandinavia & the other places we are scouting now 

• Upvote 3
5 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

As much as I’d be happy with Ronan, I’m pretty sure £500k would get you a better player in The Netherlands, Hungary, Poland, Scandinavia & the other places we are scouting now 

Starting to think this as well.

Nae worth chasing all summer for him to inevitably sign for some guff like Luton 

36 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Assists are a bit of a misleading stat though are they not. Very popular nowadays though…

what if Ronan was putting 5 chances a chance on a plate but they were all landing to Curtis Main??

I’ve not idea if he’s any good though. And 500k seems steep 

Fair enough, it could be that. But how many seasons do you give someone before you stop explaining away the lack of assists? 

I feel sorry for Matty Kennedy, he's had shit strikers letting him down at every club he's played at. 

33 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Folk wanting £3m for Ferguson but then complaining about paying £500k for Ronan. 

Bonkers 

I don’t know. Just cause we are potentially going to get good money for Ferguson doesn’t mean we should overspend and piss the money away. Ferguson is a couple years younger and has a more impressive cv and ceiling. 6 times better?? Quite possibly to be honest