Summer 2022 Transfer Window

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

As much as I’d be happy with Ronan, I’m pretty sure £500k would get you a better player in The Netherlands, Hungary, Poland, Scandinavia & the other places we are scouting now 

Totally agree, there is bound to be someone out there that could be just what we need, just need to have faith in the scouts doing their due diligence 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Basilbrush1 said:

Totally agree, there is bound to be someone out there that could be just what we need, just need to have faith in the scouts doing their due diligence 

This must be a wind up. 

You either trust the scouts or you don't. 

If you do and they think Ronan is the right type of player that we need then why would you dispute their due diligence?  Just because he played in Scotland? 

14 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I don’t know. Just cause we are potentially going to get good money for Ferguson doesn’t mean we should overspend and piss the money away. Ferguson is a couple years younger and has a more impressive cv and ceiling. 6 times better?? Quite possibly to be honest 

If we aren't prepared to invest a wee bit on fees then we're no better than the likes of Motherwell and St Mirren.  Also the rebuild will take much longer pissing about with frees and loans 

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

If we aren't prepared to invest a wee bit on fees then we're no better than the likes of Motherwell and St Mirren.  Also the rebuild will take much longer pissing about with frees and loans 

Don’t like to talk about the EPL but Aberdeen feels like a bit of an Everton recently (with OF being Top 4), can spend more than the smaller clubs and be a more attractive club but to limited pay-off and not getting close to OF. Even ended up in a relegation dogfight like ourselves last year.

8 minutes ago, Dave Bus said:

Don’t like to talk about the EPL but Aberdeen feels like a bit of an Everton recently (with OF being Top 4), can spend more than the smaller clubs and be a more attractive club but to limited pay-off and not getting close to OF. Even ended up in a relegation dogfight like ourselves last year.

Recently? 

Yes, bring back the days we were more like Spurs ?

35 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Investment isn’t the issue. It’s the thought of potentially paying half a million for a guy who might play semi regular then get released. 

if it was the 500k we probably could have got christie for in summer 2018 then we absolutely should have. 

suppose it just depends how good he is. As others have said he’s not done a lot for a 24 year old. And why’d he only play 27 games last season?

i da ken as my interest level was so low last season. I’m just asking questions!

1 minute ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Investment isn’t the issue. It’s the thought of potentially paying half a million for a guy who might play semi regular then get released. 

if it was the 500k we probably could have got christie for in summer 2018 then we absolutely should have. 

suppose it just depends how good he is. As others have said he’s not done a lot for a 24 year old. And why’d he only play 27 games last season?

i da ken as my interest level was so low last season. I’m just asking questions!

Costs you a minimum of £250k in compensation these days to get any young player who isn't being freed by their club at the end of their contract. 

I don't see £500k as much of an outlay these days. Especially considering he has 2 years left on his deal, that he is being coveted by other teams and the money we've brought in on transfers the last couple of years. 

2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

I suppose it might be worth firing a £300k bid for Ronan just to test the waters. If nothing else, even if Wolves reject it it might flush out any other clubs that might be interested, although of course then it could start a bidding war. And if there's English Championship clubs getting involved then I'd imagine we could rule ourselves out sharpish as his destination and move on to another target rather than waste our time.

However it was widely reported the other day that the Wolves manager wants to take a look at him in pre-season training before making a final decision on his future anyway.

Totally agree, and if £300k isn't enough, better we know that sooner than later.

2 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

As much as I’d be happy with Ronan, I’m pretty sure £500k would get you a better player in The Netherlands, Hungary, Poland, Scandinavia & the other places we are scouting now 

I do get what you are saying but there's far less risk with Roanan, he knows the league, the manager and shouldn't have any issues settling in where as another foreign lad might. struggle.

2 hours ago, slippers said:

Goodwin said he wanted another 3 or 4 more. Going by the comments of lad watching the friendly in Spain we played really poorly. We need to be addressing the creativity as soon as possible. We are just over a week away from our first game and still no creative players have been brought in. 

He's said 3-4 more yes, but of what quality is the question.

The squad is clearly going to be quite small compared to last year, which is fine, but needs to have enough quality throughout.

57 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

This must be a wind up. 

You either trust the scouts or you don't. 

If you do and they think Ronan is the right type of player that we need then why would you dispute their due diligence?  Just because he played in Scotland? 

It’s folk on here and other social media outlets that are wanting the club to sign him(locking grunny in a bird cage) but what say our scouts have unearthed a gem for half the price, does the manager bow down to fan pressure or does he believe in the scouts that’s all I’m saying 

1 minute ago, Basilbrush1 said:

It’s folk on here and other social media outlets that are wanting the club to sign him(locking grunny in a bird cage) but what say our scouts have unearthed a gem for half the price, does the manager bow down to fan pressure or does he believe in the scouts that’s all I’m saying 

You don't think the manager wants to sign Ronan? 

Surely that's fairly obvious judging by the comments he's made when asked about him?

2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Folk wanting £3m for Ferguson but then complaining about paying £500k for Ronan. 

Bonkers 

I don't think anyone is complaining if we spend £500k on the creative player that we clearly need. I think it's more could we get a better player than Ronan for half a million pounds outlay? I say that because Goodwin and Cormack have talked a lot about looking far and wide to get the right players. Maybe we could get a better quality player on the continent if we are willing to spend that much on one player I'm sure we are looking at other targets on top of Ronan. At the end of the day we are a selling club that's our model so regardless of what we sell players for any new players we bring in for fees of £500k+ have to be the right ones. 

If Goodwin feels Ronan is a player who will improve us and is worth £500k I'm happy to trust his judgement. At the end of the day he's worked with him and knows him well.

2 hours ago, Basilbrush1 said:

Totally agree with recent posts...I think there is some additional comfort in getting someone who has actually has had some success in the scottish league .. that might be worth a premium

34 minutes ago, Shinniesta said:

I don't think anyone is complaining if we spend £500k on the creative player that we clearly need. I think it's more could we get a better player than Ronan for half a million pounds outlay? I say that because Goodwin and Cormack have talked a lot about looking far and wide to get the right players. Maybe we could get a better quality player on the continent if we are willing to spend that much on one player I'm sure we are looking at other targets on top of Ronan. At the end of the day we are a selling club that's our model so regardless of what we sell players for any new players we bring in for fees of £500k+ have to be the right ones. 

If Goodwin feels Ronan is a player who will improve us and is worth £500k I'm happy to trust his judgement. At the end of the day he's worked with him and knows him well.

Nothing wrong with signing players who have already done well in our league.  Not every signing needs to be higher risk unknown quantities.

The important thing is that we have a wider net so we're not limiting ourselves to one market exclusively. 

It's folk quibbling about £100k here or there that I don't understand.  We've brought in millions and it's not like it's coming from their own personal bank account.  

If we want to get ahead of others in our league and we want to do it quickly then we'll have to spend some money.  We can't wait til everyone is out of contract and available on a free or for compensation.  We need to steal a march on others by enticing players earlier which we can now afford to do, within reason. 

4 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I’m not sure how good he is. I never saw much of him to be honest. But is “taking last season out of the equation” a fair way to judge him?? Seems odd

Yeah, I get that players are "only as good as their last game" or in this case "last season" - however he's 24 and not really done anything of note in say 5-6 seasons prior to last season. I'm only mentioning it because folk were saying the same thing as a reason why we shouldn't have bothered with Charles-Cooke. 

I've no problem going for Ronan for a couple hundred grand, but I don't think he's exactly the player we need and if we're going to splash half a million I'd probably rather we identified a proper attacking, creative player. Ronan for me (based on the little I have seen or remember seeing) seems more like a Ferguson type - pops up with a few decent goals, but not particularly creative. We've already got Ramadani, McCrorie, Barron and Polvara who can play the deeper midfield roles. I don't really see Ronan as a no10 and I want proper wingers on the wings who can go by their opponent and put in a decent cross.

Just now, Don_Corleone said:

Yeah, I get that players are "only as good as their last game" or in this case "last season" - however he's 24 and not really done anything of note in say 5-6 seasons prior to last season. I'm only mentioning it because folk were saying the same thing as a reason why we shouldn't have bothered with Charles-Cooke. 

I've no problem going for Ronan for a couple hundred grand, but I don't think he's exactly the player we need and if we're going to splash half a million I'd probably rather we identified a proper attacking, creative player. Ronan for me (based on the little I have seen or remember seeing) seems more like a Ferguson type - pops up with a few decent goals, but not particularly creative. We've already got Ramadani, McCrorie, Barron and Polvara who can play the deeper midfield roles. I don't really see Ronan as a no10 and I want proper wingers on the wings who can go by their opponent and put in a decent cross.

We need an attacking midfielder and a winger though. It's not a case of one or the other. 

Why can't we spend half a million on both if required? 

Now is not the time for penny pinching. 

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We need an attacking midfielder and a winger though. It's not a case of one or the other. 

Why can't we spend half a million on both if required? 

Now is not the time for penny pinching. 

I agree - those are probably the two key areas, and also agree we should be willing to splash a bit of cash for both of them.

My point is, I don't really see Ronan filling either of those positions and I don't think we need him to fill either of the deeper midfield positions, as we have plenty cover there. He's not an out and out winger, and he's not (based on the stats at least, or the little I've seen) a proper creative attacking midfielder who's going to unlock defences. As well as Ferguson has done for us, the fact we've played him as our "attacking midfielder" at times has not helped us - he scores some goals himself, but he isn't creative - I just have the feeling Ronan is the same. I'd rather we went for a Christie / Maddison / (dare I say it...) Scott Wright type for that position (if we're playing 4231). 

37 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Yip assuming Fergie goes we’ll have raked in about £8m this summer. 
We’ve spent £1m.

Another £1m should be realistic 

I see both sides here. I’m sure we are all happy to see the money spent - some just think if we are forking out half a million we could get a better player. Other than the bizarre Hernandez transfer how many Aberdeen players have cost that much this side of the century?

4 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I disagree (a bit anyway).We've brought some money in from Ramsay but have to make t at last so we can pay a fee for a player next Jan or summer as well- no point blowing our load right now.

500k for the right player is fine, but I'd rather the club is working hard to make the most of the fees brought in.

Tbh I'm not even sure the McKenna money talking about was accurate -it's all hearsay.

And Ferguson isn't sold yet.

I'm ok with £500k for Ronan because he has recently been good in the league and specifically with Goodwin. He's a decent enough age and just had his best season so could be the start of an upward trajectory. I'd expect a long term deal if we were to shell out that too. 

In contrast, we signed Stevie May who hadn't been in the league for 3 years, hadn't worked with McInnes for about 6 years and had recent injuries. I believe we paid about £400k for him?

I'm not ecstatic about Ronan, but I'm happy enough with idea of this deal.