In the News

Ramandu

1 hour ago, CCB III said:

Authoritarian, then. 

I think that's fair to say. Especially with that Crime and Police Bill everyone seems to have forgotten. 

Used to its best effect at the Prince Andrew heckler. 

Brits are a sick minded people, in my opinion. Base their national identity off the colonisation and repressive nature of the empire, but can't see how that in turn represses them. 

What kind of a people put up with an unelected head of state that gets to scoop up their tax money for merely existing? For born out the right fud. 

Doesn't apply in Scotland min. Agree with the sentiment though.

Does attending the funeral procession make you a Royalist now?

I don’t particularly care for much of the Royal Family nor would you find me waving a Union Jack or rushing to the defence of the Union - but I’m not demanding we are made a republic either.

I took tho kids down to see off the Queen as she left Balmoral - a small part of history witnessed, not to proclaim our allegiance to the crown.

As for throwing eggs at a hearse or heckling a funeral procession - pretty scummy behaviour if you ask me, no matter who is in the box.

• Upvote 5
2 hours ago, CCB III said:

Authoritarian, then. 

I think that's fair to say. Especially with that Crime and Police Bill everyone seems to have forgotten. 

Used to its best effect at the Prince Andrew heckler. 

Brits are a sick minded people, in my opinion. Base their national identity off the colonisation and repressive nature of the empire, but can't see how that in turn represses them. 

What kind of a people put up with an unelected head of state that gets to scoop up their tax money for merely existing? For born out the right fud. 

Just good old Scottish been around for centuries breach of the peace min. Despite James O’Brien jumping on the freedom of speech debate and I agree with the right to do so the guy screaming at Prince Andrew was arguably guilty of that highly debatable and nebulous crime.

Woman with the sign certainly wasn’t unless she was screaming blue murder although that’s what I think she has been charged with which is a nonsense 

1 hour ago, Ohjimmyjimmy said:

I don’t particularly care for much of the Royal Family nor would you find me waving a Union Jack or rushing to the defence of the Union - but I’m not demanding we are made a republic either.

I took tho kids down to see off the Queen as she left Balmoral - a small part of history witnessed, not to proclaim our allegiance to the crown.

As for throwing eggs at a hearse or heckling a funeral procession - pretty scummy behaviour if you ask me, no matter who is in the box.

^ This

Can you imagine the uproar on here if a Hun were to throw an egg off of say, SAF, coffin when he pops his clogs?

2 hours ago, Ohjimmyjimmy said:

If she had paid to get her son off with facing justice for the sexual assault of your kid, would you say the same thing? 

Or is that not to be considered when we discuss "scummy behaviour?" 

Been reading lots of opinions on the matter the last few days, some old and some new. But, as often happened, the Hitch got it right. 

""What should now begin is the process of emancipating ourselves from the mental habits of royalism, and the many supports it provides to unthinking attitudes and dysfunctional practices"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/dec/06/monarchy.features11?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Whilst you're not outright pledging your allegiance to the crown, or for a republic, you are giving credence to what is a regressive tradition that stains the minds and capacity for class consciousness in this country. 

I get why you'd think "it was a bit of history" and I suppose, when people die- they do become a part of history. But, I don't think you can participate with it, even from an apathetic viewpoint, and not be giving credence to the hysteria and outright debasing of personal dignity millions of people in this country are being propagandised into justifying/doing right now.

You've taken your kids to see a 96 year old, dead billionaire, who wouldn't have given any of you a second thought. 

There is no apolitical way to do that, you are, whether you mean it or not, justifying the nonsense undemocratic, fair minded people are having to endure. 

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

^ This

Can you imagine the uproar on here if a Hun were to throw an egg off of say, SAF, coffin when he pops his clogs?

The fact that you'd suggest that's in any way the same to the death of the Queen begs the question once again; 

What the fuck did you get a degree in, and where!?

32 minutes ago, CCB III said:

If she had paid to get her son off with facing justice for the sexual assault of your kid, would you say the same thing? 

Been reading lots of opinions on the matter the last few days, some old and some new. But, as often happened, the Hitch got it right. 

""What should now begin is the process of emancipating ourselves from the mental habits of royalism, and the many supports it provides to unthinking attitudes and dysfunctional practices"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/dec/06/monarchy.features11?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Whilst you're not outright pledging your allegiance to the crown, or for a republic, you are giving credence to what is a regressive tradition that stains the minds and capacity for class consciousness in this country. 

I get why you'd think "it was a bit of history" and I suppose, when people die- they do become a part of history. But, I don't think you can participate with it, even from a non critical viewpoint, and not be giving credence to the hysteria and outright debasing of personal dignity millions of people in this country are being propagandised into justifying/doing right now.

You've taken your kids to see a 96 year old, dead billionaire, who wouldn't have given any of you a second thought. 

There is no apolitical way to do that, you are, whether you mean it or not, justifying the nonsense us democratic, fair minded people are having to endure. 

On a roll champ ?

• Upvote 1

I get why you'd think "it was a bit of history" and I suppose, when people die- they do become a part of history. But, I don't think you can participate with it, even from an apathetic viewpoint, and not be giving credence to the hysteria and outright debasing of personal dignity millions of people in this country are being propagandised into justifying/doing right now.

There is no apolitical way to do that, you are, whether you mean it or not, justifying the nonsense undemocratic, fair minded people are having to endure. 

It was a lovely service they put on,TBF

Us democratic, not "undemocratic."

8 hours ago, CCB III said:

If you put as much thought and effort as you do into posting into a job, you may not be living rent free in one of your relatives flats and doing a job that you dislike.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1