So Barry is prepared to wait for Scales whether it's this window, Jan or even next summer.

Player and manager see his future at Aberdeen. So anyone expecting us to change stance on this it won't happen.

if he don't move this window then there could possibly be a loan signing but push onto get Scales in with either a loan then an option next summer to buy or in a permanent deal before the window closes. 

This could happen this week or next season it's in Celtics hands.

This from a good Celtic source. 

6 minutes ago, Dandys1983 said:

So Barry is prepared to wait for Scales whether it's this window, Jan or even next summer.

Player and manager see his future at Aberdeen. So anyone expecting us to change stance on this it won't happen.

if he don't move this window then there could possibly be a loan signing but push onto get Scales in with either a loan then an option next summer to buy or in a permanent deal before the window closes. 

This could happen this week or next season it's in Celtics hands.

This from a good Celtic source. 

It's absolutely pathetic from the club to want an average player as much as they do, lazy as fuck too.

• Upvote 6
52 minutes ago, minijc said:

It's absolutely pathetic from the club to want an average player as much as they do, lazy as fuck too.

It's from a guy I know but he normally seems to know whats going on at Celtic, I was hopeful  that you might have other info, to say this was a load of crap! 🤣

As I agree plenty others that can play that position in the market and even Mackenzie surprised me yesterday. 

Though sounds to me Scales and the management team certainly hit it off. 

4 minutes ago, Dandys1983 said:

It's from a guy I know but he normally seems to know whats going on at Celtic, I was hopeful  that you might have other info, to say this was a load of crap! 🤣

As I agree plenty others that can play that position in the market and even Mackenzie surprised me yesterday. 

Though sounds to me Scales and the management team certainly hit it off. 

Nah, it's pretty much what I heard a while back.

MacKenzie could be ok as a squad player but we need someone better than him and Scales.

I feel if the club are so hell bent on getting him in then I want it to be this window one way or another. If we don't do it this window do we sit and wait until January? Does he get a loan move prior to that and risk injury? Does he sit out, we lose 6 months then we end up with a player getting no game time?

I'm not even that fussed for him but if the club have him in the plans and are making it clear they want him I just want it done. He's at least capable so is an acceptable signing in my eyes but seems like the club ate treating him like a world beater.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, GeorgeStreetReds said:

From what Burrows said they are pretty desperate to get Scales back, even if it's on loan. Really weird tbh

According to the guy who was at the GCR event, Burrows said this was being driven by Robson. He wants him in the squad asap, regardless of whether it’s loan or perm transfer. Intimation seemed to be that the club were well aware another Celtic loan would go down extremely poorly with our supporters.

5 minutes ago, GeorgeStreetReds said:

From what Burrows said they are pretty desperate to get Scales back, even if it's on loan. Really weird tbh

They clearly see something in him that many of us don't. I mean he's not the worst player by any stretch of the imagination but if our scouting network can't find anyone of equal or higher quality than him then it doesn't bode well at all.

• Upvote 1

Scales wants to be here and our management team want him. He's better than what we currently have although we probably could and should do better.  But perhaps in the short-term we're better off having him than not having him, a player that is known and trusted by the management, particularly when we are having to turn over a high number of players.

Robson has a very specific way of playing (which I don't personally agree with, but he is more qualified than I so I trust him as a coach, if not quite yet as a fan of the spectacle on offer) and profile of player he likes. It is clear he does not have trust in his wider squad given lack of game time to certain players and needs to build things up his way.

It's nothing to do with any of us what money the club spends on him but I'm not sure it's in our interests to take him on loan again unless it's only until January and then we buy him.

The modern football fan has more ill-informed opinions than ever before. Nit-picking at individuals constantly rather than looking at the greater good of the team, the squad and the club.  When a player is signed, you're not just signing the footballer, you're signing the character, the attitude, the influence, the things that you might not see and hear on a Saturday afternoon.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 9

Does the SPFL have a written rule somewhere that domestic loan players can't play against their parent club? Or if we have a loan with an option to buy does that mean he can play?

Coutinho played (and scored) for Bayern v Barca in the champions league a couple seasons ago when he was out on loan, so it's obviously not a blanket rule across all of football.

Scales didn't even make Celtic's squad at the weekend, so it's pretty clear he's got no future there. We'll maybe reach a point where we'll just buckle and pay what they're asking for to get him in. Better the devil you know than the one you don't. McKenzie may have played decent enough at the weekend, but we can't be going a full season with him at LCB.

7 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Does the SPFL have a written rule somewhere that domestic loan players can't play against their parent club? Or if we have a loan with an option to buy does that mean he can play?

Coutinho played (and scored) for Bayern v Barca in the champions league a couple seasons ago when he was out on loan, so it's obviously not a blanket rule across all of football.

Scales didn't even make Celtic's squad at the weekend, so it's pretty clear he's got no future there. We'll maybe reach a point where we'll just buckle and pay what they're asking for to get him in. Better the devil you know than the one you don't. McKenzie may have played decent enough at the weekend, but we can't be going a full season with him at LCB.

SPFL rule. 

Just now, Tinyweelad said:

Some may say that you are bang average at what you do. How much do you clear each month from your gambling addiction, sorry, formal mode of income? Let us be the judge of whether that's good, bad or indifferent, same as you have done with Scales yeah?

To be fair to mini, we all saw Scales play last season. Average is a very apt description. Had some good games, had some shockers but overall pretty average.

Reckon Barry only wants him so badly so he's not the only ginge in the building.

• Haha 1

It genuinely baffles me the love that Scales gets too. Bang average. The fact that fans and the club seem to be going all out to get him and more specifically wanting to pay well over the odds for a bang average player with potentially very little sell on profitability just doesn't make sense to me. You spend £100k+ on Rama you make back tenfold. You spend a few hundred k on McCrorie you get a couple of million back. You spend £250k on Ferguson you get £3 million plus add ons back. Scales will cost at least over half a mil and I don't see him being that good that anyone is going to want to buy him from us for a couple of million quid or more. "Knows the club, knows the manager, knows the league..." So what ?

49 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

To be fair to mini, we all saw Scales play last season. Average is a very apt description. Had some good games, had some shockers but overall pretty average.

14 minutes ago, dj_bollocks said:

It genuinely baffles me the love that Scales gets too. Bang average. The fact that fans and the club seem to be going all out to get him and more specifically wanting to pay well over the odds for a bang average player with potentially very little sell on profitability just doesn't make sense to me.

OK, let's address the elephant in the room here. Just what are your expectations and how do you measure the calibre of a player? Let's pick Tavanier for example. Is he average, above average, well above average? And what are you measuring him against? Jack Mackenzie? What is the metric/barometer for success in that sense?

A player might be below average in one team, bang on average in another and well above in yet another. And that fluctuates again, depending on what league your in.

Truth be told, Scales is what I would class as above average, if you're looking at what we've had before him. So too Pollock. But for Celtic, they may say he's below average.

And all this reference to how he made loads of errors last season. Sure he did. So did every other player. I'm more interested in their capacity to excel. On occasion and more so under Robson, he showed what he has in his locker. By no means the finished article, but does he fit the bill for what we need in that position and is he a known factor? Yes and hence why we're keen to get him back. Work on a model where the risk associated with getting players in, is as low as practicaly possible.

1 minute ago, Tinyweelad said:

OK, let's address the elephant in the room here. Just what are your expectations and how do you measure the calibre of a player? Let's pick Tavanier for example. Is he average, above average, well above average? And what are you measuring him against? Jack Mackenzie? What is the metric/barometer for success in that sense?

A player might be below average in one team, bang on average in another and well above in yet another. And that fluctuates again, depending on what league your in.

Truth be told, Scales is what I would class as above average, if you're looking at what we've had before him. So too Pollock. But for Celtic, they may say he's below average.

And all this reference to how he made loads of errors last season. Sure he did. So did every other player. I'm more interested in their capacity to excel. On occasion and more so under Robson, he showed what he has in his locker. By no means the finished article, but does he fit the bill for what we need in that position and is he a known factor? Yes and hence why we're keen to get him back. Work on a model where the risk associated with getting players in, is as low as practicaly possible.

If it's a discussion on players being average, send out the bat signal for @fine-n-dandy

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

I think Scales would follow the same model that we used for Ramadani and in particular, McCrorie.
Like the latter, despite being 24ish, Scales hasn’t played a whole load of 1st team matches so far in his career and even if the fee is INXS of £500k, once he’s played close to 100 games for the famous, we can still enjoy a decent return on our investment, nothwithstanding no doubt the sell on to Celtic.

1 minute ago, sooth_stander said:

I think Scales would follow the same model that we used for Ramadani and in particular, McCrorie.
Like the latter, despite being 24ish, Scales hasn’t played a whole load of 1st team matches so far in his career and even if the fee is INXS of £500k, once he’s played close to 100 games for the famous, we can still enjoy a decent return on our investment, nothwithstanding no doubt the sell on to Celtic.

25, would be seen as a failure at Celtic so he'd be seen as a failure at Celtic which may put bigger clubs off.  The fee that Celtic want means we wouldn't have much room for making a lot of profit either, I also think it would be mental for us to spend it (plus the wages) on someone who has proven to be a liability at times and not much better than average in other times.

I'd take him no fuss. If it's a step up the noo and then we can deal with rest of back line. There's nae pace and Scales to me at least gave that. It feels pretty simple,Robson clearly wants him. 

Cannae think the club haven't looked at other players in same position. If budget has to cover several positions then it might just be he matches what we can do the noo while trying to get others. 

He was much better with Robson,they all were. Simple at back and leave the fitba further up. 

• Upvote 1