Just now, Millertime said:

We made some profit on Ramadani who was 2 years older, why wouldn't we on scales?

There's a huge difference between selling someone we signed for less than 100k and signing Scales for 1m then trying to sell, I'd say it's also telling that no other clubs have came in for him given how incredible he was last season.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

If we’re going to win a cup there’s a berry good chance that at some point we’d need to beat Celtic and he’d not be available to play against them.

which is way too much.

Yeah if he's on loan he can't play against them but surely for the sake of min of 4 games against them its worth it thats what a squad is for.  No different to having a player suspended or injured.

As for the price 500k is probably about right, at the end of the day in football terms its pretty small, yes its Scotland but if we have aspirations of playing in europe we need to be realistic that players for that level are going to cost that.  Getting a better player than him will likely cost £1million plus unless you unearth a gem.  

1 minute ago, minijc said:

Do you not think it's a bit weird that we haven't signed him, given that we tried to get a permanent deal last summer, then when we didn't we tried to get a 'buy clause' added so we could sign him at the start of this window.  Use your brain min, Burrows has fucking said it will most likely be onloan due to Celtics valuation, dearie me.

It’s the Ryan Christie scenario again, they want more than we can afford for Scales despite him being unlikely to feature in their plans. They’ll loan him back to us to put him in the shop window down south. 

• Upvote 4
4 minutes ago, Helmet said:

Apart from Celtics valuation there would surely be the question of the lads salary.

I doubt we want to match what he’s getting at Celtic and he’s not going to rush to take a cut if he can get another year on his Celtic salary.

No idea what he’s on but it’s surely better than we can feasibly offer him. That’s why so many end up in the English championship. Is it worth making him the highest paid/one of the highest paid?

2 minutes ago, Helmet said:

Not for me no. He’s decent but not break the bank good.

Im just assuming about his wage btw, but seems a safe bet he’d need to take a cut to join us.

Which makes a loan more likely imo.

Another loan is fine with me, our best run last season was with him in the first team. He won’t play for Celtic so it’s up to him what he does really, piss about on the fringes for a few seasons or play every week.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Helmet said:

Apart from Celtics valuation there would surely be the question of the lads salary.

I doubt we want to match what he’s getting at Celtic and he’s not going to rush to take a cut if he can get another year on his Celtic salary.

There’s more out there and we should be well down the road with alternatives/contingencies and I hope we are. If the minks want more than we want to offer then fuck it! Move on! Personally, I’m not in favour of another loan. 
He’s easy to opine on, coz we’ve seen him play, but he’s no fucking messiah and he had plenty of moments to suggest that our valuation is spot on and why he’s no where near the Celtic team. They played that clown, ‘Welsh’ on Sunday, which says something. 
Better the devil you know? Sometimes, but not at the wrong price…

3 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Another loan is fine with me, our best run last season was with him in the first team. He won’t play for Celtic so it’s up to him what he does really, piss about on the fringes for a few seasons or play every week.

Loan... with an option to buy worked in this time

13 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Our worst run last season was also with him in the team, the 9 games after the World Cup including the 5-0 and 6-0 in Edinburgh and Darvel.

1 minute ago, Dunty said:

Would prefer a permanent but the loan didn't hurt us last season - him missing wasn't why he lost four times to Celtic. Likewise he'd have made no difference on Sunday.

The toll of possible European football til xmas could be a factor in getting him I suppose.

Just think we have enough defenders now.

McGarry, Morris, Hayes, MacKenzie all can play left back.

14 hours ago, Helmet said:

He’s on 5k a week at Celtic so he’s within our budget

34 minutes ago, HaarDon said:

The toll of possible European football til xmas could be a factor in getting him I suppose.

Just think we have enough defenders now.

McGarry, Morris, Hayes, MacKenzie all can play left back.

Scales would be coming in to play left centre back, not left back.

Also Morris can play left back? 

10 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

It will be interesting to see when those two are fit.

I'm fairly sure MacDonald played every game in the middle of the 3? Other than his debut where it was a back four

Against St Mirren, where RMcC got sent off after 5 mins? I think we started that game with Angus in the middle of a 3 and moved to a back 4 after the sending off

2 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Our worst run last season was also with him in the team, the 9 games after the World Cup including the 5-0 and 6-0 in Edinburgh and Darvel.

Not sure what that has to do with anything, that run also had two players playing we managed to sell for a reputed £3 million combined