The Luis Lopes Thread

4 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

If agreeing a 50/50 share was the only way to get Duk then it will still be worth it. 

Gave us some exciting moments, helped us get back into Europe and we'll also get a 7 figure sum by the looks of it.  A success story, we need more of them. 

Correct. Still ending up with more than we got for Hayes when he was immense about 4 seasons in a row. 

get a top class player and make a profit isn’t bad at all. Beats signing Stevie May for 400k then paying him off 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, RedRevolution said:

Totally agree with your post. Robson has really only had one window to reshape the team. We have had some terrific performances but a lot of disappointment too. It seems the miracle of last seasons turnaround is long forgotten. For me Robson has done reasonably well in difficult circumstances. Building a new team and expecting it to be well tuned and coping with domestic and European demands is a huge challenge. You see lots of teams with bigger budgets than us struggle with this. By contrast Rangers and Celtic have season after season of experience in handling this challenge. It seems a relatively modern phenomenon that fans and Boards demand instant success. I'd give Robson another season and ignore the BBC witch hunt that they love to put on against Aberdeen if they get the slightest of chances.

Hi Barry. 

13 hours ago, RedRevolution said:

Totally agree with your post. Robson has really only had one window to reshape the team. We have had some terrific performances but a lot of disappointment too. It seems the miracle of last seasons turnaround is long forgotten. For me Robson has done reasonably well in difficult circumstances. Building a new team and expecting it to be well tuned and coping with domestic and European demands is a huge challenge. You see lots of teams with bigger budgets than us struggle with this. By contrast Rangers and Celtic have season after season of experience in handling this challenge. It seems a relatively modern phenomenon that fans and Boards demand instant success. I'd give Robson another season and ignore the BBC witch hunt that they love to put on against Aberdeen if they get the slightest of chances.

I might agree with you, if I hadn’t actually seen us play, how the team is set out and the way they try to play the game.

It’s not like we’re just a bit unlucky when we lose games- we’re utterly shit, have no identity and don’t even attempt decent style of football.

Results wise, some slack can definitely be cut to a new manager if the performances are there but the performances have never been there imo.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, Helmet said:

I might agree with you, if I hadn’t actually seen us play, how the team is set out and the way they try to play the game.

It’s not like we’re just a bit unlucky when we lose games- we’re utterly shit, have no identity and don’t even attempt decent style of football.

Results wise, some slack can definitely be cut to a new manager if the performances are there but the performances have never been there imo.

That's the most frustrating thing. It's hard to understand what we're trying to do most weeks. 

We tend to completely give up control of the middle of the park to have a back 5. Therefore we struggle to progress the ball forward (due to lack of options for passes for our defenders), so it tends to turn in to long balls up to the strikers, which they inevitably lose. 

Combine this with the fact that we're not even solid in defence, despite having the back 5. 

We're in January and despite pretty much the same problems all season, we look like we've no idea how to fix them. Robson will likely rumble on as manager for a while yet but , IMO, it's been clear for months that he's not up to identifying and fixing the issues we're having. He's therefore not up to managing the club. 

• Upvote 4
10 minutes ago, Helmet said:

When we have won sometimes it’s just been because the opposition have been shitier than us. Not all the time but…..

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Parklife said:

That's the most frustrating thing. It's hard to understand what we're trying to do most weeks. 

We tend to completely give up control of the middle of the park to have a back 5. Therefore we struggle to progress the ball forward (due to lack of options for passes for our defenders), so it tends to turn in to long balls up to the strikers, which they inevitably lose. 

Combine this with the fact that we're not even solid in defence, despite having the back 5. 

We're in January and despite pretty much the same problems all season, we look like we've no idea how to fix them. Robson will likely rumble on as manager for a while yet but , IMO, it's been clear for months that he's not up to identifying and fixing the issues we're having. He's therefore not up to managing the club. 

Im not particularly anti Robson per se (as always show me the alternative first) but Id add to the above that he's actually creating the problems that hes then not identifying to address by being so rigid in formation with a particular group of players.  Cant decide if thats obstinacy or ignorance. 

13 hours ago, Arthur FN Shelby said:

Can never think of Duk without remembering his goal against Dundee United, skinned their captain then took out two defenders with aback heel into the net. 
  Sublime, wonderful, artistic, superb skill, never to be forgotten, Said then we had some player on our books. What happened? 

Nobody else in the league could have scored that

Determination, strength,  skill, vision, flair, technique

What happened?

14 hours ago, RedRevolution said:

What a load of pish, he got deserved credit for getting 3rd however that was really only possible because Hearts collapsed.

I would accept a transition period if there was signs of progress however Robson is wedded to a 3/5 at the back and long ball turgid football.

He selections are also a mystery, the likes of MacDonald and Barron come in and play well, then for whatever reason, are dropped for players that have underperformed the majority of the season, his tactics are bizarre as well, playing Clarkson in front of the back 5 instead of behind the forwards, Shinnie chasing lost causes all over the park like he did in his mid 20s, when in reality he is 32 and should be the one sitting in front of a back 4 snapping in tackles. I could go on and on.

The best domestic performances that we have seen this season have been when we have played 4 at the back(against Motherwell and Ross County). If the majority on here can see that we have to play 4 at the back, and have seen it for at least 3-4 months, surely to fuck somebody high up within the club should have noted it and had a word in BR's ear.

• Upvote 6
18 hours ago, RedRevolution said:

I'm sorry but that is a dreadful attempt at a Gman type piss taking post... and who the fuck is this rangers you're referring to?

4 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Im not particularly anti Robson per se (as always show me the alternative first) but Id add to the above that he's actually creating the problems that hes then not identifying to address by being so rigid in formation with a particular group of players.  Cant decide if thats obstinacy or ignorance. 

Both + Stupidity.  

On 1/5/2024 at 7:23 PM, The Lighthouse said:

That`s certainly one way of looking at it....alternatively we could point to evidence of tactical ineptitude and a severe stubborn attitude. The win ratio is unacceptable, regardless of any excuse associated with European football. 

3rd biggest budget - apparently.

But remember that, as well as being a new manager, he is also a rookie manager.

Theres definitely been some errors that a more seasoned boss would not have made.  

The team has been up and down like a yo yo, with some great highs and yet miserable lows.

I think that with patience and time, Barry can get the average outcome nearer the great highs - as the team continues to gel/form and he himself learns.

Ultimately, its fucking crazy to me to be thinking of punting a guy after scarcely more than a seasons worth of games, most especially given we have had european football and a cup final in that time. 

I mean, FFS.  What more could have he realistically achieved in the time he has had?  He could have won the cup final, OK.  It was an ugly game and the huns won with a rare chance.  What else?  I thought he did well in Europe, especially as a rookie manager, and we were unlucky not to progress.  Nevertheless, there were some positives to take from the experience, such as the income generated and the coefficient points we won for Scotland, plus the general experience.

7 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Theres definitely been some errors that a more seasoned boss would not have made.  

The team has been up and down like a yo yo, with some great highs and yet miserable lows.

I think that with patience and time, Barry can get the average outcome nearer the great highs - as the team continues to gel/form and he himself learns.

Ultimately, its fucking crazy to me to be thinking of punting a guy after scarcely more than a seasons worth of games, most especially given we have had european football and a cup final in that time. 

I mean, FFS.  What more could have he realistically achieved in the time he has had?  He could have won the cup final, OK.  It was an ugly game and the huns won with a rare chance.  What else?  I thought he did well in Europe, especially as a rookie manager, and we were unlucky not to progress.  Nevertheless, there were some positives to take from the experience, such as the income generated and the coefficient points we won for Scotland, plus the general experience.

How much time should we give him to gel the team?

He has been awful with his formations and team choices.

When players like Sokler, Morris and Barron have played well they have then inexplicably been dropped the next game.

46 minutes ago, HaarDon said:

How much time should we give him to gel the team?

He has been awful with his formations and team choices.

When players like Sokler, Morris and Barron have played well they have then inexplicably been dropped the next game.

Has Morris had a good game? 

MacDonald has more case to complain than Morris IMO.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

This teams gelling shite when they have played about 30 games together! Come on to fuck! 

We have to accept that our season will come to nothing now we have kept him on. The guy is so unlikeable. We will be lucky to finish in top 6 now never mind third. 

3 hours ago, CraigHill said:

Morris is utter horseshit.

Anyone clamouring for him to start games is clueless - we all should demand / expect better.

I think most people realise morris is very limited but he is almost the only winger we have and one of the few in the team with pace along with duk. 

Another odd choice from robson to limit the flexibility of the team with such a lack of width.

9 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Take a look at the league table. And that cup final “performance” was a sacking offence on its own, as was his post match interview.

Id have much rather lost the semi to Hibs and saved the bother and expense of going to that farce in December. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6
9 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

We didn't embarrass ourselves in Europe but I don't think we can say we did well. We were out with what, two games to spare? And got our best result in a game that was meaningless for both sides.

The way we set up against HJK was scandalous given one of their own players said he thought his side would be a top four side in Scottish football, which is probably a favourable perspective. So at best they're no better than a Hearts, Hibs or St Mirren (granted we've been dire against all three this season) but would you ever be content with us giving any of those sides the amount of respect we gave Helsinki?

Results elsewhere in that group only expose how wrong we got it against them, particularly at home. Not to mention chucking the two-goal lead at home to PAOK.

• Upvote 3

Why are we blooding rookie managers ? Surely everyone except for the FMB can see the ONLY way this works is by signing these young players hoping to flip them for a profit with an experienced manager capable of developing them as much as possible. How that's supposed to work as well with a rookie coach who's trying to grasp the enormity of the job he's just inherited as well as actually doing it. It. Not. Rocket. Science.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

If I was Duk I would be telling my agent to whore me the fk away from Robson 🤷 

I definitely think majority of our players with ‘potential to improve or get better clubs’ will be in their agents ear to get them the fk out of this club with this cunt in charge. 

I would question any of our players mentality & confidence & ambitions that would WANT to stay at our club with him in charge. That’s how damaging a manager like Robson can be to a club & especially to the ‘Cormack plans/vision’ it’s ridiculous that it’s taking Cormack so long to realise this

5 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

If I was Duk I would be telling my agent to whore me the fk away from Robson 🤷 

I definitely think majority of our players with ‘potential to improve or get better clubs’ will be in their agents ear to get them the fk out of this club with this cunt in charge. 

I would question any of our players mentality & confidence & ambitions that would WANT to stay at our club with him in charge. That’s how damaging a manager like Robson can be to a club & especially to the ‘Cormack plans/vision’ it’s ridiculous that it’s taking Cormack so long to realise this

100% agree but also would counter that I'm sure many will be happy with a summer move