Leighton Clarkson

12 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

As he's supposedly only on £3k a week at Liverpool we could still easily double his wages which isn't bad for a 21 year old.

Could he earn more elsewhere, of course... but at least with us he'd know he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet (probably wouldn't be at the huns) and he'd be able to get more exposure in the European group stages (won't EVER have that at a Championship / League 1 club in England). 

Looking likely that it won't happen but coming to us wouldn't be the worst move for him in the long term... unless he's literally all about the money.

It depends on whether we break our wage structure 

20 hours ago, Tord31 said:

I would hope so too. Come to the Dons and be our main player and start 50 games.

Risk going elsewhere and being on the bench for the full season.

He's 21 and only has one season as a first pick under his belt.

He's not going anywhere to sit on the bench for a full season 

1 hour ago, milne_afc said:

I don’t think you appreciate how good he is. 

100% this. I actually think that a Leighton Clarkson player with his vision and range of passing is exactly what Sevco are missing - especially in big games. 

I would hope he has picked up on the "rivalry and hatred" which would sway him towards England if he chooses not to take up our offer.

4 hours ago, YorkDon said:

Did he not show the odd flash of being half decent-a good turn and shot from the edge of the box for a goal?Or was it a mazy run? 

Lovely turn and shot for fine goal into the corner on his debut v Motherwell that won the game  A brilliant driving mazy run at Livingston to set up a late winner.James Wilson has bags of football ability but agree he could often be a lazy and very frustrating player .

1 hour ago, Broken_Glass said:

I would hope he has picked up on the "rivalry and hatred" which would sway him towards England if he chooses not to take up our offer.

To be fair to him he has no loyalty towards us... if he chose to go to the huns then as much as i'd wish him a career ending leg break on his debut... i still wouldn't hold the same level of hatred towards him as to born and bred Aberdonian snakes like Jack and Wright.

• Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, YorkDon said:

Depending on where he goes in the Championship he could get £20k+ a week.

He won’t though because middle-top championship clubs would only give their best players 20k a week contracts. Lower end championship wouldn’t get close to paying anyone 20k a week. Clarkson was a squad player for Blackburn when he was at them, a top end championship club is hardly going to come in and suddenly make Clarkson one of their top earners.

1 minute ago, Dave Bus said:

He won’t though because middle-top championship clubs would only give their best players 20k a week contracts. Lower end championship wouldn’t get close to paying anyone 20k a week. Clarkson was a squad player for Blackburn when he was at them, a top end championship club is hardly going to come in and suddenly make Clarkson one of their top earners.

I hear ya.

At the risk of being called a Mitty again @Arabian Knight dya ye peh eating cunt, I know a Championship player, similar age, released by an EPL club after hardly playing, and dropped down a division to get regular fitba, but hasn’t played overly much due to injuries, and he’s picking up over £1M a year.

I suspect this club will be paying their “star” players way above that even, so offering Clarkson £15-£20k a week wouldn’t be an issue for them given the way his stock has risen.

2 hours ago, YorkDon said:

Depending on where he goes in the Championship he could get £20k+ a week.

I doubt he’s going to jump from £3k a week at Liverpool (if that figure said earlier is correct) straight to £20k just because he had a good 2/3’s of a season at Aberdeen.

1 hour ago, Andy_123 said:

I doubt he’s going to jump from £3k a week at Liverpool (if that figure said earlier is correct) straight to £20k just because he had a good 2/3’s of a season at Aberdeen.

You never know.The boy I was talking about did nothing at his EPL club, but got that sort of money dropping down a league.

19 minutes ago, YorkDon said:

You never know.The boy I was talking about did nothing at his EPL club, but got that sort of money dropping down a league.

Was the boy you're talking about earning as little as £3k a week for doing nothing at the EPL club before jumping to £20k plus for dropping down a league? I'd guess not?

1 hour ago, YorkDon said:

You're wasting your time YD. Some people will grasp at every possible argument why Clarkson should come back to the Dons rather than face the reality.

If he comes back to us, it's a minor miracle and I'll be very grateful but the club really need to be thinking ahead and looking for his replacement as it seems a slim chance he'd return to us.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, CCB III said:

Nae happening. Don't blame him. 

We got our use out of him and he got his use out of us. 

Just don't join the Old Firm and I'll wish him the best. One of the most talented players I've seen at Pittodrie. 

In fairness, that is impossible...

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, YorkDon said:

I hear ya.

At the risk of being called a Mitty again @Arabian Knight dya ye peh eating cunt, I know a Championship player, similar age, released by an EPL club after hardly playing, and dropped down a division to get regular fitba, but hasn’t played overly much due to injuries, and he’s picking up over £1M a year.

I suspect this club will be paying their “star” players way above that even, so offering Clarkson £15-£20k a week wouldn’t be an issue for them given the way his stock has risen.

I know a guy who was on over 30k a week at a championship club several years ago...

2 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Was the boy you're talking about earning as little as £3k a week for doing nothing at the EPL club before jumping to £20k plus for dropping down a league? I'd guess not?

He has barely made any senior appearances, and though highly rated was released by the club.

I think he’s represented his country at various youth levels.

His previous club are a yo-yo Champ/EPL club as is his current club.

He’s someone you’ve never likely to have heard of, which really does put into perspective the money in English fitba, that a young lad you’ve never heard of is picking up over £1M a year.

It all depends on whether or not Leighton puts money ahead of the chance to play European fitba, which he won’t get playing for a Championship club.

He could play another season with us, get some European action and attract better attention from better clubs, but he may get an offer from a Championship side pushing to be in the EPL next season, which could be more attractive to the lad.

1 hour ago, Helmet said:

You're wasting your time YD. Some people will grasp at every possible argument why Clarkson should come back to the Dons rather than face the reality.

If he comes back to us, it's a minor miracle and I'll be very grateful but the club really need to be thinking ahead and looking for his replacement as it seems a slim chance he'd return to us.

I disagree. Like I said, we’re talking about a guy who’s achieved absolutely nothing in England, and only had a good 2/3 of a season with us.

The way Cormack is running the club, we are paying a bit more than we used to for the right players.

Unless a club appears and blows us completely out the water offering £15k+ a week, which seems unlikely given his career so far, I think we’ve got a reasonable chance. 

• Upvote 2