Next Manager

8 hours ago, ahead on alphabet said:

Not really enough for me to be saying - oh aye he wasted loads of money. 

European qualifiers every year with that waste of money, aye we never got group stages and that was shite, seemed like every summer we'd be starting with too many new players and get fucked off before we got going.

Robson qualified by default but there's not a chance in hell he'd have got through qualifying even with Cormack splashing the cash for him and next season I very much doubt that we will see any qualifiers never mind group stages despite the real waste of money of this season.

It's not about pining for a manager that was probably rightly moved on or wanting him back, merely laughing at the suggestion his tenure was steeped in money wasting. Nonsense.

As nonsense as thinking our European challenge was anything beyond fanciful distraction during the same period, yes, I’ll agree.

We didn’t play Sociedad every fucking year.

8 hours ago, ahead on alphabet said:

Not really enough for me to be saying - oh aye he wasted loads of money. 

European qualifiers every year with that waste of money, aye we never got group stages and that was shite, seemed like every summer we'd be starting with too many new players and get fucked off before we got going.

Robson qualified by default but there's not a chance in hell he'd have got through qualifying even with Cormack splashing the cash for him and next season I very much doubt that we will see any qualifiers never mind group stages despite the real waste of money of this season.

It's not about pining for a manager that was probably rightly moved on or wanting him back, merely laughing at the suggestion his tenure was steeped in money wasting. Nonsense.

Who was responsible for that? 

21 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Correct, with the supposed European campaign front and centre in that.  Once or twice is careless but 7 years in a row…

Yep.

a few trying to re-write history here. McInnes was great for his first few years, but was on a downward trajectory for his last 2-3 seasons. He had a huge budget to spend every year. When it came down to replacing players, he struggled at times, hence why he went for the same guys over and over.

The football was also absolutely stinking 

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Just before his departure, McInnes tried to re-sign GMS and Eammon Fucking Brophy; that’s how far outta touch he was.

And Niall McGinn would have no doubt been entering the final 18 months of his new contract too.

Aye, it's laughable that folk think his recruitment, especially in the last few season was good.

10 hours ago, thurso said:

If there were people at the club who weren’t happy with mccinnes they must have been raging in the 3 years since he left with their traffic light system and wasted money 

Of course however one thing that's very different now is how the deals are structured, so we benefit from that when some of the signings don't work out the way they are intended.

10 hours ago, ahead on alphabet said:

You're having a laugh 🤣 large chunks?

This is some plan, eh? We got a very small fee, compared to what we should have got, for Ramadani, even 10% of his sell on won't pay what he was worth in my opinion. We might one day get a few quid for Miovski if this regression doesn't affect him eventually too but everything else we have got so far was for players that McInnes had. Who the fuck else do you think we are recouping cash for? 

I'll tell you now, I know what 'plan' I'd choose right now from the two. 

I'm almost certain that we'll make serious money from Duk, Clarkson and Miovski, we'll make some money off of Polvara if he continues to improve.

We made 15x what we paid for Ramadani with a potential sell on fee to come out way, which will make it an even better deal for us.

Aye, lets get Derek back, signing various players on large wages (not as big as now granted) have them run their contracts down or just fail to do well and get bombed out of the team, that was great, totally sustainable model. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
16 minutes ago, Johnnyred1 said:

McInnes likes to regurgitate ex players or go for players that he was formerly after that had failed at other clubs, in the hope he can turn them around. Lazy lazy scouting. As lazy as never trimming his beard.

Maybe but on a budget it seems a reasonable policy to go for players that you rate and have worked with before.Watkins and Kennedy seem to be doing well at Kilmarnock.Then you have players like Cosgrove bought for what £20k and sold for £2m.Or Ferguson McLean Shinnie Logan Rooney Hedges Christie etc even Maddison.Sure you can quote failures as well but Mcinnes didn't have a huge budget.Been interesting what he would have done with the £850k wasted on Hernandez.

9 minutes ago, ERNIE said:

Maybe but on a budget it seems a reasonable policy to go for players that you rate and have worked with before.Watkins and Kennedy seem to be doing well at Kilmarnock.Then you have players like Cosgrove bought for what £20k and sold for £2m.Or Ferguson McLean Shinnie Logan Rooney Hedges Christie etc even Maddison.Sure you can quote failures as well but Mcinnes didn't have a huge budget.Been interesting what he would have done with the £850k wasted on Hernandez.

Remind me Ernie, what did we make off of those players?

18 minutes ago, ERNIE said:

He'd maybe of given another extra 2 year deal to Stevie May or paid for Tansey.  Careful what you wish for.

16 hours ago, huncunts said:

You've missed some other signings that didn't work out.

However he also signed

Christie, Ferguson, Cosgrove, Hoban, Lowe, Hedges, McCrorie, plus effective to some degree GMS, McGeough, and Taylor though always mocked was always part of a much better defence.

What's the expected hit rate for effective signings? Doesn't seem like it's improved whatsoever despite huge investment to identify players. 

Christie second time was a fail and we literally got him ready to be the difference against us in the cup final the following season. First time was pre 17/18 season. 

Hoban wasn’t a success really, became really limited and got injured so often he retired. 

McGeough and Taylor were not successful, Taylor not second time at least. 

That’s down to 6 good ones in your list and 17 in mine without even mentioning the January window where he signed 3 abysmal strikers (granted his hand was forced so I’ve not included them in the first list).

To summarise and answer your question - I’d expect a better hit rate than that. He achieved it prior to 17/18 and it dropped off a cliff.

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Christie second time was a fail and we literally got him ready to be the difference against us in the cup final the following season. First time was pre 17/18 season. 

Hoban wasn’t a success really, became really limited and got injured so often he retired. 

McGeough and Taylor were not successful, Taylor not second time at least. 

That’s down to 6 good ones in your list and 17 in mine without even mentioning the January window where he signed 3 abysmal strikers (granted his hand was forced so I’ve not included them in the first list).

To summarise and answer your question - I’d expect a better hit rate than that. He achieved it prior to 17/18 and it dropped off a cliff.

I've had to look this up to make sure I haven't lost my fucking mind. 

8 goals 15 assists in 17/18. Ryan Christie was a fail? 

Hoban played 90 minutes 30 games for McInnes in 20/21 with 16 clean sheets. When he played the other defenders were Taylor and Considine. So unless Considine was carrying both of them, how were those two unsuccessful?

That's back up to 9.

5 minutes ago, huncunts said:

I've had to look this up to make sure I haven't lost my fucking mind. 

8 goals 15 assists in 17/18. Ryan Christie was a fail? 

Hoban played 90 minutes 30 games for McInnes in 20/21 with 16 clean sheets. When he played the other defenders were Taylor and Considine. So unless Considine was carrying both of them, how were those two unsuccessful?

That's back up to 9.

I’m 42 games. To be fair that’s better than I remembered, I remember him really losing form second half of the season. He also was a loan from Celtic which is minus points. 

Hoban was alright but first time played about 5 games so left us short and second time was part of a team who couldn’t build an attack and ended up scoring 1 goal in 10 games. I get defenders can’t be blamed but he was a big offender in lumping or forward because he was so limited. 

9 signings that can be deemed better than okay after 16/17 sort of proves my point. It’s also the fact he even signed the likes of Main or Stewart the second time. Was fucking insanity. 

10 minutes ago, ERNIE said:

Well at least we got some good football   and results from them.We didn't get much from Hernandez and nor did we make any cash.In fact we probably lost cash.

Would have helped if the manager gave him a chance on the pitch but he never, even though he claimed he'd seen him play and it was his idea to sign him.

7 minutes ago, Sheeptastic said:

Since McInnes left we've had Glass, Goodwin and Robson. Utterly boring - and lazy - appointments in all honesty.

We're due at least one roll of the dice abroad before panicking and rehiring an old manager who did a solid but not outstanding job... Surely. 

It's practically a £5m fingers crossed roll of the dice that they're going to work and get us 3rd with the potential automatic European money on offer. Maybe we are due one but the stakes are enormous. Something Cormack never understood when appointing Glass but maybe does now. 

Actually feel sorry for Robson a bit. 

He came in as a temporary placement to try and restore a bit of order while we searched for a new manager and ended up winning 7 games on the bounce and eventually clinching third. That sort of left him with no choice either but to go for the job and grab it when it was handed to him. Can't blame the guy for taking the opportunity after all he did deserve it at that time. 

Group stages of a European competition was what he gave us during this short period, unfortunately the plan has fallen apart a bit and he's shown that long term he probably isn't the solution. He'll be asking questions of himself right now for sure but he can still hold his head high whatever happens. And let's not forget he can still turn this around, but that will have to start tonight.

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, C'monEweReds said:

He came in as a temporary placement to try and restore a bit of order while we searched for a new manager and ended up winning 7 games on the bounce and eventually clinching third. That sort of left him with no choice either but to go for the job and grab it when it was handed to him. Can't blame the guy for taking the opportunity after all he did deserve it at that time. 

Group stages of a European competition was what he gave us during this short period, unfortunately the plan has fallen apart a bit and he's shown that long term he probably isn't the solution. He'll be asking questions of himself right now for sure but he can still hold his head high whatever happens. And let's not forget he can still turn this around, but that will have to start tonight.

The biggest concern is that there is nothing to suggest he can do that.

54 minutes ago, C'monEweReds said:

The arrogant and smart arse way he answers any questions/criticism would suggest that isn't the case