Next Manager

4 hours ago, DelMonte said:

Christie second time was a fail and we literally got him ready to be the difference against us in the cup final the following season. First time was pre 17/18 season. 

Hoban wasn’t a success really, became really limited and got injured so often he retired. 

McGeough and Taylor were not successful, Taylor not second time at least. 

That’s down to 6 good ones in your list and 17 in mine without even mentioning the January window where he signed 3 abysmal strikers (granted his hand was forced so I’ve not included them in the first list).

To summarise and answer your question - I’d expect a better hit rate than that. He achieved it prior to 17/18 and it dropped off a cliff.

Id expect a manager so fucking reveered by the weegie press corp,to be far more successful in the transfer window 

52 minutes ago, Red-Man-Erg said:

To be fair, he took responsibility after the Killie game. 

Got nothing against him personally but he needs to go regardless of whether he wins the next 2 games or not.

If he wins the next 2 games, he’s not getting sacked.

I doubt he’s getting sacked even if he loses the next 2 games but undoubtedly not if he wins them.

Can just gets kicked doon the road……

51 minutes ago, Red-Man-Erg said:

To be fair, he took responsibility after the Killie game. 

Got nothing against him personally but he needs to go regardless of whether he wins the next 2 games or not.

I don’t like him.  
He’s thick as mince with a misplaced arrogance. 
But that doesn’t matter though.

What matters is he’s a clueless football manager with prehistoric tactics.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Sheeptastic said:

Since McInnes left we've had Glass, Goodwin and Robson. Utterly boring - and lazy - appointments in all honesty.

We're due at least one roll of the dice abroad before panicking and rehiring an old manager who did a solid but not outstanding job... Surely. 

In fairness, Glass wasn’t a boring appointment, it was an absolutely bonkers one and I would argue they’ve all been big rolls of the dice due to their lack of experience. 

We need someone with a decent track record along with ideally an ability to play good football. 

30 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

If he wins the next 2 games, he’s not getting sacked.

I doubt he’s getting sacked even if he loses the next 2 games but undoubtedly not if he wins them.

Can just gets kicked doon the road……

Agreed, however if we somehow win the league cup it would probably be worth kicking the can down the road given how long it’s been since we won anything. 

16 minutes ago, Proud Dandy said:

In fairness, Glass wasn’t a boring appointment, it was an absolutely bonkers one and I would argue they’ve all been big rolls of the dice due to their lack of experience. 

We need someone with a decent track record along with ideally an ability to play good football. 

That's subjective I suppose but certainly underwhelming.

Agree they've been rolls of the dice, some considered less so than others, but I'm saying we are probably due a foreign appointment or one a bit more out there.

4 hours ago, DelMonte said:

It’s a football forum so people can discuss whatever they want. Just don’t read it if you don’t want to. Quite simple. 

The name of this thread is "next manager". He isn't going to be our next manager. Maybe all you McInnes fans should open a fresh thread where you can all wank over him and leave us in peace to discuss who the actual next manager might be.Quite simple 🤷‍♂️

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Redtillimdead said:

The name of this thread is "next manager". He isn't going to be our next manager. Maybe all you McInnes fans should open a fresh thread where you can all wank over him and leave us in peace to discuss who the actual next manager might be.Quite simple 🤷‍♂️

Who’s a McInnes fan? 😂 

Made yourself look a right idiot. 

1 hour ago, Redtillimdead said:

Who exactly are you talking about here when you are talking about "McInnes fans"? As I don't see these people.

Nobody has said so far, as far as I'm aware, that they wanted McInnes back or that they were massive fans of his. Although you and another numpty, can't recall who, seem to be getting all very over excited about this non issue. Very odd.

There was some decent debate around money wasting and different strategies/models etc but that's about it. What are you getting all stressed out over? Why don't you start up a new thread about how you have nothing at all constructive to offer the debate and leave the adults in peace? You could discuss nothing at all and you'd come out looking cleverer.

2 hours ago, Sheeptastic said:

That's subjective I suppose but certainly underwhelming.

Agree they've been rolls of the dice, some considered less so than others, but I'm saying we are probably due a foreign appointment or one a bit more out there.

I'd say the appointments have been chaotic.

McInnes went before there was a real plan in place and the number one choice wasn't secured, so appointing Glass was simply what was available within the FMB's network and fitted with a narrative of wanting a young manager that would (in theory) bring attacking football and he was 'one of our own'...the optics probably felt right for Dave.

Goodwin...Glass gone and in need of someone still youngish but with some more experience. Again, what is within a limited but known network (i.e SPL managers). An ex St Mirren manager, limited success , something to prove. The optics of an element of parallel to Fergie and with all the statue/83 anniversary stuff that happened at that time...I'm pretty sure Dave thought...this will do.

Disaster and Robson turns it around.  An easy choice and can't argue with his appointment in many respects.. if we had appointed someone else and that manager had failed, most fans would have been screaming as to why Robson didn't get the job. Again, the optics played a major factor for Dave in this one with fan sentiment.

And now...

The initial vision set out by Dave. Attacking football, young dynamic manager,  wider recruitment network, promoting youth.  All sounds good, but the execution has not been good enough.

The FMB are clearly not up to sourcing the right manager.

If Robson goes  Dave would be wise to bring in some outside advice to head of the recruitment of a new manager. 

• Upvote 2

Robson is a rookie, he's got a hell of a lot to learn, and he may prove himself to be incapable of the job, but I think he deserved a shot at the job after the turnaround last season.

I get how a lot of the fans don't think we should be hiring rookie managers and therefore won't be prepared to give him time, but I am.  I think games like last night and parts of the performances in europe and the huns game, and ross county etc we have shown we are capable of playing some good football and looking like a right good team.  Obviously there's also been plenty games we've looked fucking awful and the type of fitba has been hoofball shite. 

But it's easy to say what 30 games into his managerial career ach he's not learning, he's making the same mistakes - but guys like McInnes, Malky McKay, Robinson, Neilsen, Ross etc who have been managers for fucking YEARS are accused of exactly the same shit, appearing not to learn from the same mistakes over and again.  Binning him and expecting to just find some experienced guy who won't make these mistakes is not in any way guaranteed.  Just about every club and every set of fans in world football have issues with their manager.

If there was absolutely no signs of anything good happening, and we are detached from the european places, it gets a bit harder to stick with him and give him the time, but hopefully he's hearing the fans frustrations and people at the club are in his ear as well opening his eyes to his mistakes and he is actually learning (albeit very slowly at times).

• Upvote 5
5 minutes ago, robbojunior said:

Robson is a rookie, he's got a hell of a lot to learn

He was a professional footballer who went on to manage teams at AFC before this. Of course there are differences with the top job but football fundamentals remain the same. 

With the players he has available we should be playing CONSISTENTLY better and Robson should have a much, much better win ratio

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, perthshirered said:

The slate doesn't get wiped clean by producing a good performance and a win after a few weeks of shit. We fell into that trap after Ibrox. He has to match last night over the next few games. 

I'm still in the jotters camp until he shows significant improvement. 

Of course the slate doesn't get wiped clean.  My point is, why are folk surprised that 30 games into a managerial career he's making tactical mistakes and overseeing shite performances?  Some people didn't want him appointed, that's fine, but on the basis he was appointed, this is actually kinda to be expected.  If there were no positives, fair enough, but that's not the case.  But I agree with you, he needs to show significant improvement - the disagreement is only over how long he is given to make it.

And to the other guy saying he's managed before so the fundamentals are the same - haha aye ok.  I helped manage my wee 5 year old's team, so I should be able to manage Aberdeen as well then aye? 

19 hours ago, Proud Dandy said:

Agreed, however if we somehow win the league cup it would probably be worth kicking the can down the road given how long it’s been since we won anything. 

Aye true, but what a league cup win shouldn't do is automatically mean a contract extension. Need to start doing those things after a season finishes, if targets all are met, rather than after a good streak of a few wins.

15 minutes ago, robbojunior said:

If there were no positives, fair enough, but that's not the case.

In the last 22 games since he was appointed permanently the positives have been St Mirren at home getting us into Europe, the last 20 minutes or so away to Hacken, Frankfurt (maybe) as it wasn't as bad a defeat as we thought it would be, Ross County at home, huns away and last night. 5 and a bit positive performance out of 22 games. 

You're right significant improvement is required.

15 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

In the last 22 games since he was appointed permanently the positives have been St Mirren at home getting us into Europe, the last 20 minutes or so away to Hacken, Frankfurt (maybe) as it wasn't as bad a defeat as we thought it would be, Ross County at home, huns away and last night. 5 and a bit positive performance out of 22 games. 

Good een.  There's been zero other positives in his tenure?  You have made up your mind I get it.

• Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, robbojunior said:

Of course the slate doesn't get wiped clean.  My point is, why are folk surprised that 30 games into a managerial career he's making tactical mistakes and overseeing shite performances?  Some people didn't want him appointed, that's fine, but on the basis he was appointed, this is actually kinda to be expected.  If there were no positives, fair enough, but that's not the case.  But I agree with you, he needs to show significant improvement - the disagreement is only over how long he is given to make it.

And to the other guy saying he's managed before so the fundamentals are the same - haha aye ok.  I helped manage my wee 5 year old's team, so I should be able to manage Aberdeen as well then aye? 

Yeah but it's things like watching us repeatedly launch long throws, game in game out, not even mixing it up. Not once did I see us do anything from any of them yet he persisted. That is direct instruction from him, the players certainly wouldn't default to that. You knew they were pointless, everyone on here knew it yet he couldn't. He's stubborn and inflexible, that will be his downfall. 

1 hour ago, robbojunior said:

Good een.  There's been zero other positives in his tenure?  You have made up your mind I get it.

No, of course there have. As caretaker the 8 wins from 10 was a huge positive, a positive that eventually and rightfully got him the job. 

Since being appointed permanently there haven't been many. Feel free to correct me if there's plenty others that i've missed?

20 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

I'm not going to defend everything Robson does but taking his record from when he was appointed permanently as you repeatedly do seems rather unfair to me.It coincides with going into the split when of course we had 3 away games out of 5 against the top3 teams including a fine performance at Ibrox against a biased referee.The important thing is we finished 3rd but that is last season now we really need to get some consistently good performances and most importantly results.

21 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

No, of course there have. As caretaker the 8 wins from 10 was a huge positive, a positive that eventually and rightfully got him the job. 

Since being appointed permanently there haven't been many. Feel free to correct me if there's plenty others that i've missed?

OK heres a stat that surprised even me.If you take the corresponding fixtures from last season so far we have more points from 4 games and less from 2.The rest are the same.We are 2 points better off.Would have been much better if we had beaten Hibs and Stj at home though.

14 minutes ago, ERNIE said:

OK heres a stat that surprised even me.If you take the corresponding fixtures from last season so far we have more points from 4 games and less from 2.The rest are the same.We are 2 points better off.Would have been much better if we had beaten Hibs and Stj at home though.

So we’re 2 points better off than we would have been under Goodwin (possibly the worst managerial appointment in our history)? Fantastic 👍👍

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

So we’re 2 points better off than we would have been under Goodwin (possibly the worst managerial appointment in our history)? Fantastic 👍👍

After spending £2m+ as well, get the statue built.

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

No names but there will be a new manager. 

One day.

Told you that in confidence. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1